An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bean In My Bonnet!

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I know this is an odd title for a thread, but please bear with me, lol! Tonight after Vespers at the Abbey that runs my high-school (I go to Vespers as often as I can), the Abbot approached me and asked me to keep a 'bean in my bonnet:' the bean being possibly joining the monks there for Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday!!! It took me completely by surprise, but I would love to be able to do this! There is a conflict, though. My mom, brother, and I normally go down to FL over Easter Break to visit my grandmother, so if I stayed at the Abbey I would not be able to see my grandmother (it's the only time we see her all year). I'm hoping to bring this up to my parents after I get home from choir practice tonight, so could you please pray that they are open to this possibility, and that, ultimately, God's Will is done here? Thank you very much!

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

the lords sheep

Could you possibly save your flight for another time and go visit her then?? Maybe it would be nice for her to have someone with her for another week over the summer?

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I just talked to my parents, and they said that they would think about it, and my mom was smiling, which is an awesome sign! The solution that they brought up was that I could leave for FL after Easter (I have the whole next week off), so there might not be much of a conflict after all, lol! Again, please pray that God's Will is done here, and thank you sooooo much for your prayers already!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1444340' date='Jan 10 2008, 10:31 PM']I just talked to my parents, and they said that they would think about it, and my mom was smiling, which is an awesome sign! The solution that they brought up was that I could leave for FL after Easter (I have the whole next week off), so there might not be much of a conflict after all, lol! Again, please pray that God's Will is done here, and thank you sooooo much for your prayers already!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe[/quote]

[b][color="#4169E1"][size=3][font="Century Gothic"]Joe,

Sounds like good news. :)) Continued prayers coming.

God bless. Jaimie[/font][/size][/color][/b]

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1444340' date='Jan 10 2008, 09:31 PM']I just talked to my parents, and they said that they would think about it, and my mom was smiling, which is an awesome sign! The solution that they brought up was that I could leave for FL after Easter (I have the whole next week off), so there might not be much of a conflict after all, lol! Again, please pray that God's Will is done here, and thank you sooooo much for your prayers already!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe[/quote]
that's awesome! I hope you get to do both (visit grandma and stay at the abbey). :)

prayers.

Edited by Brigid

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Possibly issue now. It seems to me like I am being left to decide what it is that I want to do, but after talking to my mom again she said that the chances of me going to FL after Easter would probably be slim because of the airplane ticket prices for during the week flights round trip, especially since I have to be back home by Friday evening to set up for a retreat I'm leading at my parish that next weekend. On top of all this, my mom said that she felt the same way she did the last time we were able to see my grandfather down there (he died later that year), so she is worried that my grandmother may die sometime this year and that I may not see her again if I go to the Abbey. So please pray that God will guide me to see what it is He wants me to do. Thank you!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

bump for prayers. I'm starting to get sort of stressed out over what I should do with this, even though I know I shouldn't be, so please continue to pray. Thank you.

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

the lords sheep

Look into some airline prices now. You'd be surprised at the cheap ones you can get. I just bought a roundtrip flight one week in advance and it was under $300 (I would have loved to pay less, but ya know...
Especially see if you can fly some lower priced airlines... I'll pm you (I don't want to endorse any here).
You'll be in my prayers!

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

• 2 weeks later...
Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Thank you for your prayers. I decided, after talking to my spiritual director and campus minister, to go down to FL to visit my grandmother. However, I was talking to my mom yesterday about when we were going down, and she said that the prices were too high for her, my brother, and me to go down there over Easter (with many college spring breaks being around the same time it would cost around $1000 for all of us to go down there for a few days), so chances are we won't go down over Easter. This in turn brings about the overwhelming possibility that I will be spending Easter at the Abbey (I'll know for sure whether or not I'll be going by Monday, I think). Plus, I found out when I told the Abbot earlier that I wasn't going to be able to spend Easter with the monks that they were inviting other guys from my class and were going to have a mini retreat type thing for us, and while I only know of two others who have been invited so far, I really think that it will be an amazing experience, both spiritually and emotionally (forming stronger bonds of friendship with the other guys in my class who might come).

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1451005' date='Jan 26 2008, 01:12 AM']I decided, after talking to my spiritual director and campus minister, to go down to FL to visit my grandmother. However, I was talking to my mom yesterday about when we were going down, and she said that the prices were too high for her, my brother, and me to go down there over Easter so chances are we won't go down over Easter.

This in turn brings about the overwhelming possibility that I will be spending Easter at the Abbey Plus, I found out when I told the Abbot earlier that I wasn't going to be able to spend Easter with the monks that they were inviting other guys from my class and were going to have a mini retreat type thing for us...

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe[/quote]

Joe,

So it looks like you just may be able to do both. I'm so glad. And the possibility of a retreat at the Abbey does sound like a great idea. Keep us posted.

God bless, Jaimie

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Alright, it has just been confirmed about an hour ago, I will be spending Holy Thursday through Easter Sunday at the Abbey! Plus there may be up to four other guys there (I know one person has already accepted, but I don't know about the other three), all from my class, so it should be an awesome time! Thank you again for your prayers and support, and I will let you know how it goes after the time I spend there. Now I just have to tell the Abbot that I've reversed my decision, lol!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe