An Old School Catholic Message Board

The State Of The Union

catholicinsd

Ash Wednesday
:idontknow:

Missed it. I very much fear for the future of this country. But then again I've just been anxious in general lately.

I guess one way or another, life will go on. It always does.

blovedwolfofgod

My favorite part was the democratic response

[quote]"We are Americans sharing a belief in something greater than ourselves, a nation coming together to meet challenges and find solutions; to share sacrifices and share prosperity; and focus, once again, not only on the individual good but on the common good. On behalf of the new American majority — the majority of elected officials at the national, state and local level, and the majority of Americans, we ask you, Mr. President, to join us. We are ready to work together, to be the America we have been— and can be once again."[/quote]

There is so much wrong with this liberal rhetoric, namely that the democratic congress has accomplished less in the past 2 years than ever. Its ridiculous... if we want anyone who comes to the US illegally to be granted citizenship, or if americans want their taxes to go to a machine that murders children for convenience. This US president, I hope, is regarded as one of the top ten presidents in america's short history, I would put the list as such: Washington, FDR, Reagan, TR, George W. Bush, und so weiter.

My one fault with Bush's speech is trusting the american people. People can NOT be trusted, especially to rule themselves. And I wish his economic policy would work. People dont realize that there is more riding on the american economy than america. The world is in the balance, and when the US collapses, its gonna be terrible.

blovedwolfofgod

And yet another reason I like George W. Bush

[quote]So this time, if you send me an appropriations bill that does not cut the number and cost of earmarks in half, I will send it back to you with my veto. And tomorrow, I will issue an executive order that directs federal agencies to ignore any future earmark that is not voted on by the Congress. If these items are truly worth funding, the Congress should debate them in the open and hold a public vote.[/quote]

Fight the good fight, sir.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='blovedwolfofgod' post='1452380' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:31 PM']My one fault with Bush's speech is trusting the american people. People can NOT be trusted, especially to rule themselves.[/quote]

That sounds like the kind of opinion that could be used to justify a dictatorship. Or at the very least a country where the government takes an inordinate amount of interest in what you do.

The whole point of a democracy is that we DO govern ourselves - we elect our representatives freely and we have the right to make our political views heard. It has to involve an element of trust. When I go to the polls to vote such-and-such a person into Parliament, I am trusting that he or she will make good on the campaign promises and be a competent MP. It is only reasonable that politicians should place the same kind of trust in the electorate. They depend on us as much as we depend on them.

I have never watched a state of the union address. Sometimes I felt like I truly understood the state of the union better than the person giving the speech. I did picket in protest once. When I was 5 years old, LBJ's address was going to cut into something I wanted to watch, so I asked my dad to make me a picket sign that said "down with LBJ." I walked back and forth in the front yard while it was on. I was a very strange child. I think the neighbors were grateful I didn't become a serial killer.

Excelsior1027

Was I the only one who was getting really frustrated at how it seemed Pelosi wasn't even paying attention to the speech?

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1452392' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:53 AM']That sounds like the kind of opinion that could be used to justify a dictatorship. Or at the very least a country where the government takes an inordinate amount of interest in what you do.

The whole point of a democracy is that we DO govern ourselves - we elect our representatives freely and we have the right to make our political views heard. It has to involve an element of trust. When I go to the polls to vote such-and-such a person into Parliament, I am trusting that he or she will make good on the campaign promises and be a competent MP. It is only reasonable that politicians should place the same kind of trust in the electorate. They depend on us as much as we depend on them.[/quote]

We don't live in a democracy (in the US). The founders were very much scared of the masses. We live in a republic, and while the lower house has some relation to the US population, our upper house does not in any way.

[quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1452519' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:29 AM']Was I the only one who was getting really frustrated at how it seemed Pelosi wasn't even paying attention to the speech?[/quote]

I noticed it, but didn't really expect more of her, I'm not a Pelosi fan at all.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1452392' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:53 AM']That sounds like the kind of opinion that could be used to justify a dictatorship. Or at the very least a country where the government takes an inordinate amount of interest in what you do.

The whole point of a democracy is that we DO govern ourselves - we elect our representatives freely and we have the right to make our political views heard. It has to involve an element of trust. When I go to the polls to vote such-and-such a person into Parliament, I am trusting that he or she will make good on the campaign promises and be a competent MP. It is only reasonable that politicians should place the same kind of trust in the electorate. They depend on us as much as we depend on them.[/quote]

One of my favorite political quotes is from Alexis d'Tocqueville

[size=3]"The American Republic will endure until the politicians learn they can bribe the people with their own money."[/size]

D'Tocqueville was a very wise man and I have seen many, many of his predictions become reality. This applies not only to this country but others around the world. There is a lesson here. Don't trust politicians.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1452392' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:53 AM']That sounds like the kind of opinion that could be used to justify a dictatorship. Or at the very least a country where the government takes an inordinate amount of interest in what you do.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1452530' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:37 PM']We don't live in a democracy (in the US). The founders were very much scared of the masses. We live in a republic, and while the lower house has some relation to the US population, our upper house does not in any way.[/quote]

rkwright's correct. This is also the reason for the electoral college. The 2000 election worked the way the founders wanted it to... although the popular vote was for Gore, Bush won. It keeps the small states in play. Anyway, the founders had good reason not to trust the people considering only about a third of the population actually supported the War for American Independence. The slogan "No taxation without representation" wasn't even introduced until about 1815. Talk about a rewrite of history.

[quote name='blovedwolfofgod' post='1452384' date='Jan 29 2008, 07:46 AM']And yet another reason I like George W. Bush
Fight the good fight, sir.[/quote]

I just wish he had started that fight about 7 years earlier...

[quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1452519' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:29 PM']Was I the only one who was getting really frustrated at how it seemed Pelosi wasn't even paying attention to the speech?[/quote]

She was looking down reading although, reading the speech. Actually most people were also reading along, thus creating the appearece of apathy.