Red Knight Posted February 26, 2008 Posted February 26, 2008 Just so y'all fully understand. I am a strident supporter of the all volunteer force. I despise the draft on principle, however, there may be a need for it in the future. My issue is with the concept that women can join the all volunteer force, yet are not subject to the possibility of a draft. I feel that is wrong. My opinion on whether or not women should be in the military at all is still not concrete. There are jobs in the military that women are very well suited to, due to the differences in how women process information as opposed to men. Women do quite well in the Signal and Intelligence Corps, as well as the Medical Corps. If you want to be equal under the law, than fine, you must deal with the ramifications of that.
Deb Posted February 26, 2008 Posted February 26, 2008 I'm sick of being equal. I just want someone to take care of me. Oh my. I think I am going insane. Religion is making me say very strange things. Does this mean I have to burn my ACLU card? Help me..................
Red Knight Posted February 26, 2008 Posted February 26, 2008 [quote name='Deb' post='1469168' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:10 AM']I'm sick of being equal. I just want someone to take care of me.[/quote] Nothing wrong with that. [quote]Oh my. I think I am going insane. Religion is making me say very strange things. Does this mean I have to burn my ACLU card? Help me.................. [/quote] Oh, I wouldn't say insane, but burning your ACLU card would be a great place to start.
Socrates Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 [quote name='Red Knight' post='1469157' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:56 AM']Just so y'all fully understand. I am a strident supporter of the all volunteer force. I despise the draft on principle, however, there may be a need for it in the future. My issue is with the concept that women can join the all volunteer force, yet are not subject to the possibility of a draft. I feel that is wrong. My opinion on whether or not women should be in the military at all is still not concrete. There are jobs in the military that women are very well suited to, due to the differences in how women process information as opposed to men. Women do quite well in the Signal and Intelligence Corps, as well as the Medical Corps. If you want to be equal under the law, than fine, you must deal with the ramifications of that.[/quote] I definitely don't see the only two options as either women being completely barred from military service or a female draft. There were certain services women could joion in WWII, yet women were not subject to the draft. Again, I see no need nor benefit in forcing our armed forces to be half female in wartime. Maybe I just don't believe in "full equality under the law" according to your definition. The law should acknowledge reality and human nature - and thus maybe give some deference to women in such cases. Basic "outmoded" concept of chivalry - the strong fight for the weak.
Deb Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 [quote name='Red Knight' post='1469177' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:21 AM']Nothing wrong with that. Oh, I wouldn't say insane, but burning your ACLU card would be a great place to start.[/quote] The rate my conversion is going, it won't be long. I just bought FOUR long dresses. I haven't worn a dress or anything below the knee in 15 years. I haven't worn these either but, I bought them. Scary.
cmotherofpirl Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 [quote name='Deb' post='1470007' date='Feb 27 2008, 03:11 PM']The rate my conversion is going, it won't be long. I just bought FOUR long dresses. I haven't worn a dress or anything below the knee in 15 years. I haven't worn these either but, I bought them. Scary.[/quote] Why would you want long dresses???
Deb Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1470129' date='Feb 27 2008, 05:21 PM']Why would you want long dresses???[/quote] I have no idea. I just bought them, one at a time and put them in my closet. They are pretty but, I don't wear dresses.
Red Knight Posted February 29, 2008 Posted February 29, 2008 [quote name='Socrates' post='1469570' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:41 PM']I definitely don't see the only two options as either women being completely barred from military service or a female draft. There were certain services women could joion in WWII, yet women were not subject to the draft. Again, I see no need nor benefit in forcing our armed forces to be half female in wartime. Maybe I just don't believe in "full equality under the law" according to your definition. The law should acknowledge reality and human nature - and thus maybe give some deference to women in such cases. Basic "outmoded" concept of chivalry - the strong fight for the weak.[/quote] I agree with you on the concept of chivalry. I am not saying that half the service needs to be female. I don't want my daughter to get drafted into the military in the future any more than I would want my son to. My point is that if females can serve they should be subjected to the draft just as men. I am not suggesting that they be drafted into the infantry or anything like that. Deb, long dresses are awesome.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now