An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anti-catholicism Legalized In Canada

cmotherofpirl

Ok. So if a speaker advocates for the unborn, that's "hate speech."
And if a publication, like the one in the article, writes on Church teaching about homosexuality the publication could be targeted by law due to "hate speech."

I agree with C'Mom's assessment. This is institutionalizing anti-Catholicism. Anyone with a beef can run to the nanny state and cry about hurt feelings, and the state is being given more and more power to stomp out the offender. The U.S. is heading down a similar path.

I agreeing with Lounge Daddy on this one. People( other than us catholics) say we as catholics aren't being discriminated, this is proof we are being discrimnated utterly and completely. Unfortunately, its happening on a daily basis.

Sister Rose Therese

I wish I could say that that surprises me. Bishop Henry has a long hard fight ahead of him, but this kind of thing may further unite the Christian denominations.
We are going to have to watch what happens in the states too when the new president gets elected. The prospects look scary.

That's so sad. :(

I can understand people getting involved if someone was using the f-word to describe homosexuals or like.... Westboro Baptist Church type stuff was going on... sometimes I even wish that the freedom of speech wasn't so broad when thinking about that particular group... but it's a Catholic magazine... no one forces non-Catholics to buy or read it. For goodness' sake!

Sister Rose Therese

I think the problem is with homosexuality and abortion etc. is that people deep down know its wrong, and their guilty consciences are bothering them. They don't what to admit it to themselves though. They will fight tooth and nail with anyone who brings them face to face with their own consciences.

It is possible to hit back against canadian Human Rights commissions, but it takes patience, feistiness, and lawyering skills. Human Rights commissions have been a great way for gay pressure groups to bully people into accepting their agenda. As we see from the provided link, it hasn't stopped yet.

But, there is hope. there is a private member's bill before the House of Commons that will go a long way towards removing the ambiguities in the governing legislation that allows for such bullying. Private Member's Bills don't usually have much of a hope of actually passing, but there is the hope at least.

There are free speech provisions in the american constitution that would prevent this sort of thing, so I don't know if there is much worry of it happening stateside.

A certain Ezra Levant is in the middle of fighting a human rights complaint lodged because his publication had the rudeness to publish the danish cartoons a couple years ago. Here is a relevant [url="http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22ezra+levant%22+%22danish+cartoons%22+ahrc&btnG=Google+Search&meta="]Google search[/url] if you want to know more. Warning: some of the links contain strong language that may not be appropriate for all phatmassers.

faithfulrock3r

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1464446' date='Feb 16 2008, 07:17 PM']Dear President Bush:

Canada has oil. Please invade.[/quote]
hahahahaha that was good

That was the hardest thing to get used to when moving to Canada that free speech was okay for everyone but Christian. If anyone has the fight to change it, Bishop Henry would be my choice. He's hard core.