An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kosovo

qfnol31

Kosovo  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My dad was over there in the 1990s and saw terrible things done to the non-serb population. He says They need their own country to be safe so I vote YES!!

It seems that waiting for a solution that will please both Belgrade and Pristina is a vain hope. I feel bad for regular Serbs caught in the middle of everything, but that isn't enough for me to overlook the actions taken by Milosevic against the Albanian Kosovars. I have to agree with Rod. Independence was likely, but this was not the best way for it to happen.

KnightofChrist

What would be a better way? Honestly it would seem Kosovo is attempting to do so peacefully, even if the Surbs riot in the streets, with government approval, which would give more reason why Kosovo should be free from this type of repeated oppression.

I think we should unilaterally cede a state away from the US for an all catholic nation. I'm thinking Florida would be good, a small border to defend, and a lot of catholics to begin with. That's how it works right? Just declare independence. We don't need to have a vote or UN affirmation.

JMJ
2/22 - Chair of St. Peter

I don't see why there should be a problem, honestly. Wasn't Yugoslavia/Serbia carved out of what was then the Ottoman Empire, anyway? These Albanians never had a right to say whether they wanted to be part of Albania or Serbia. If they want independence, and if they want it peacefully, I don't see a problem. Which is also why I would support an independent Kurdish state in the Middle East, but I can see why that opinion would cause problems.

Which is also why I support my Ullish family's right to be a part of their homeland...

However, Montana's recent threat to secede is more worthy of entertaining attention than support. :P

Didn't the Serbs actually fight off the Muslim conquests of Christian Europe several times during the Middle Ages, and isn't this what the whole Kosovo/Serbia dispute is all about?

That's why I voted "no", anyway.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1467555' date='Feb 23 2008, 04:21 PM']Anyone else recall the genocide and massacres in Kosovo by the Serbs?[/quote]
Yes. The reason for them, that I was given, was that they were Muslims trying to invade Christian lands, and the Serbs were trying to stop them.

Btw, I'm not condoning Serbian genocide, but at the same time I don't think Islam is really capable of integrating into Europe and it doesn't belong there. I just wish Miloshcvech(sp), had used deportation instead.

The most recent massacres of Albanians by Serbs took place in the 1990's. The serbs originally had that land and then the Ottomans came and went and came and eventually the area became about 90% Albanian. This goes back to the 1300's. They have been fighting ever since. The Albanians are declaring Kosova a nation and the 10% of the Serbs refuse to allow that. So, once again the fighting is starting.
This is going to go on forever unless they work something out and it hasn't happened in the last 700 years.
I hope they can settle this peacefully. So sad.

Edited by Deb

The blood feud between the Ethnic Albanians and the Ethnic Serbs continues every day on a smaller scale, however the undercurrent is strong and this region continues to be a powder peg. I have lived in Tirana for 14 months now and it is quite incredible the opinions from different sides. I am fortunate in being able to visit Macedonia and Montenegro every month on business (former Yugoslavakia) as well as Belgrade. Times have changed for the worse in the last 6 months and it has become very noticable. We need to pray for all sides to keep the peace and try to resolve this diplomatically. As I said we here are sitting on WWIII should things errupt!

[quote name='Rod' post='1467639' date='Feb 23 2008, 11:04 AM']The blood feud between the Ethnic Albanians and the Ethnic Serbs continues every day on a smaller scale, however the undercurrent is strong and this region continues to be a powder peg. I have lived in Tirana for 14 months now and it is quite incredible the opinions from different sides. I am fortunate in being able to visit Macedonia and Montenegro every month on business (former Yugoslavakia) as well as Belgrade. Times have changed for the worse in the last 6 months and it has become very noticable. We need to pray for all sides to keep the peace and try to resolve this diplomatically. As I said we here are sitting on WWIII should things errupt![/quote]

I am sure the surrounding countries are watching this nervously also. So much bloodshed and violence in that region. Praying a rosary for peace in that area cannot hurt.
I pray also that you will remain safe where you are.
I will be going to Medjugorje at the end of March. I am being selfish but, I am hoping that all stays calm in Bosnia.