An Old School Catholic Message Board

Afraid To Confess 'downright Embarassing Sins'.

Thomas

Ash Wednesday

Usually I face the priest, but going behind the screen is always good and has no less of integrity. In fact, didn't they always have the screen before the changes in Vatican II, with facing the priest more widely accepted as an option after that? I went behind the screen when I confessed that some friends and I had raided the church kitchen as a high schooler and got into some food and beer left in the fridge. I honestly felt guilty and sorry... I was so embarassed I went behind the screen even though the priest knew me. After I told him what I did, I heard him chuckling quietly to himself.... which surprised me because he was a pretty strict priest in a lot of ways... maybe he knew my voice. :blush:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

My technique when I was a kid was leaning in the corner of the confessional to make sure Fr. couldn't see my face lol. Priests hear confessions from convicts to nuns so Fr. has probably heard every sin in the book more than once. I'm always nervous every single time I go, and it's sort of wierd that it doesn't change even if my sins aren't as numerous. So pray to St. Gerard Majella and St. John Nepomucene, the Patrons of a Good Confession, take a deep breath, and go in with a sincere heart. It's the best feeling in the whole world on the way out. God Bless :D

Thy Geekdom Come

One of the biggest temptations I have is that I have what I call a "guilty soul". I can go to confession, feel great for a few minutes, and then the devil will try to tempt me into thinking that I really wasn't forgiven. When I do something wrong, I feel TERRIBLE about it, so I suppose that Satan thinks this is a good way to try to tempt me into despair.

Luckily, I don't recall falling into it yet.

Ash Wednesday

Raphael, that also happens with scrupulosity, too. After confessing a pentitent wonders "did I confess that right? Am I truly forgiven?"

People forget what a danger scrupulosity can be in this age of lax consciences. My ex boyfriend had problems with scruples. He finally decided "it's no use, there's no sense pleasing this 'god' " and left the Church. :(

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Thy Geekdom Come

[Raphael, that also happens with scrupulosity, too. After confessing a pentitent wonders "did I confess that right? Am I truly forgiven?"]

I suppose that's a part of it. Does that mean anything in particular? I just tended to think that the devil was trying to tempt me.

Thy Geekdom Come

Raphael, that also happens with scrupulosity, too. After confessing a pentitent wonders "did I confess that right? Am I truly forgiven?"

Hehe...I forgot about the wonderful quoting function that dUSt has built in...sorry for the bracket quoting...

Ash Wednesday

I don't know if there is a scale that says "you are scrupulous" and "you aren't scrupulous"... I think it happens in varying degrees. To a certain extent it is Satan trying to get us to despair. But some people with scruples also suffer from depression or obsessive compulsive disorders.

I've read that it is important to have a regular confessor to help deal with scruples.

Needless to say I've had these issues as well, myself, though now I just "collar the beast" as I put it. ;)

Edited by Ash Wednesday

If you're worried about confessing embarrassing sins, I would reccommend listen to a tape that's available free on http://www.catholicity.com. It's called "Confession" by Fr. Larry Richards. It's such a great tape, and he talks for a while about how to confess really embarrassing sins, as well as lots of other things about making a good confession.

Thy Geekdom Come

But some people with scruples also suffer from depression or obsessive compulsive disorders.

Bingo! I have OCD.

I don't think it's too big a problem. I also don't think that it's any lack in faith. I believe, but I was always analytical, and I think that Satan tries to work his way in by appealing to my analytical side, but when it comes down to it, I just cling to the Lord and refuse to let go (I'm very stubborn). I suppose that it's a cross I must carry.

Ash Wednesday

Raph, I know what you mean. Liguori publications also has a good newsletter for scrupulous that I read.

I had harder problems with OCD/Depression in early college, but following treatment I've done well for years now (though I can always recognize the attacks of scruples/Satan) and I collar the beast!

You're right, it's a cross some of us bear at times -- and that God won't let be heavier than we can handle. :)

Edited by Ash Wednesday

cmotherofpirl

I used to worry whether my sins were forgiven or not, til someone explained it this way.

One of the devils favorite tricks is to use our emotions against us. He always mixes a little truth with the lie so we swallow it better. Emotions are a wonderful gift from God and that is the truth. However the modern reliance on substituting feelings for logic is the lie.

THink of forgiveness as a fact, not as a feeling. Facts don't change because of our feelings toward them. The sun still shines whether we like it or not. :)

God is a fact, and His policy of forgiving us is well known. Its also a fact He is reliable. So if you have confessed your sins and the priest is has absolved you, the fact is you ARE forgiven.

ok my youth leader told me this story once

There was a priest who realized that when guys confessed, they had trouble confessing that they had had "impure relations with themselves" So every time a guy was having trouble confessing this, the priest just said "tell me, 'I love my country,' and ill know what you mean" Well this went on for a couple years. One day the priest was transferred and another priest took his spot as head pastor. Well one day, during one of the priests homilys, the priest said "I dont know if I'm the only one who realizes this, but this church has alot of patriotic men in it." :D

Thy Geekdom Come

Well one day, during one of the priests homilys, the priest said "I dont know if I'm the only one who realizes this, but this church has alot of patriotic men in it."

LOL!

Is that Fr. Stan on your avatar?