An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going To Visit Cfr Sisters!

He is Risen!

He is Risen!

Ok, tomorrow at midnight my bus leaves for NYC to visit the CFR Sisters. I'm getting excited and have pages of questions (thanks to your input). I'll be there over Palm Sunday weekend. When I was talking to Sr. CLaire, she mentioned that there would be another woman there visiting. Is it by chance someone from Phatmass? That would be so cool. I'll be sure to let you all know how this goes. Please pray for me if you remember.

Mari Therese

I'm so happy for you! It's always exciting to get to go and visit a community. Especially one as awesome as the CFRs ;) You'll definately be in everyones prayers. God Bless and be open!

the lords sheep

Have a wonderful visit! I love the CFR Sisters!
Actually, I went to visit them the same weekend you are one year ago- it was St. Patrick's day while we were there, as well as the 40th anniversary of Fr. Andrew Apostali's ordination.
I hope you have a very blessed visit! Prayers for your discernment!

In Jesus and Mary, Lauren

• 2 weeks later...
He is Risen!

It was great! I stayed with the postulants from Thurs. to Sun. They are a really solid group, a good base of prayer. Palm Sunday mass was beautiful, their choir gave me chills. I would like to go again and visit the professed sisters, everyone I met there seemed to be people who I would want to be like, mature, kind, etc. I saw Fr Benedict and Fr Andrew, and I was starstruck. They blessed all the holy cards I braught and were very warm and friendly. The sisters were all joyful and we laughed until our sides hurt at almost every dinner, I about blew milk out my nose. I didn't know that I could pray throughout the whole day (liturgy of the hours) but I really found myself looking forward to it. I was sad to leave and am looking forward to another visit.

cathoholic_anonymous

I've just sent an evangelical Christian friend to visit them. ;) She's living in New York for a year as part of a university exchange programme, and she has been very moved by the plight of the homeless. She feels a calling to help the poor. Who knows what might happen...

[quote name='He is Risen!' post='1483902' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:16 PM']It was great! I stayed with the postulants from Thurs. to Sun. They are a really solid group, a good base of prayer. Palm Sunday mass was beautiful, their choir gave me chills. I would like to go again and visit the professed sisters, everyone I met there seemed to be people who I would want to be like, mature, kind, etc. I saw Fr Benedict and Fr Andrew, and I was starstruck. They blessed all the holy cards I braught and were very warm and friendly. The sisters were all joyful and we laughed until our sides hurt at almost every dinner, I about blew milk out my nose. I didn't know that I could pray throughout the whole day (liturgy of the hours) but I really found myself looking forward to it. I was sad to leave and am looking forward to another visit.[/quote]
Praise be to our Risen Lord! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1483993' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:50 PM']I've just sent an evangelical Christian friend to visit them. ;) She's living in New York for a year as part of a university exchange programme, and she has been very moved by the plight of the homeless. She feels a calling to help the poor. Who knows what might happen...[/quote]
Many prayers for your friend--you'll have to keep us posted. Sounds like there's a lot of room for the Holy Spirit to move!

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1475968' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:55 PM']Actually, I went to visit them the same weekend you are one year ago- it was St. Patrick's day while we were there, as well as the 40th anniversary of Fr. Andrew Apostali's ordination.[/quote]

:ninja: guess this means i have met you!

franciscanheart

[quote name='He is Risen!' post='1483902' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:16 PM']It was great! I stayed with the postulants from Thurs. to Sun. They are a really solid group, a good base of prayer. Palm Sunday mass was beautiful, their choir gave me chills. I would like to go again and visit the professed sisters, everyone I met there seemed to be people who I would want to be like, mature, kind, etc. I saw Fr Benedict and Fr Andrew, and I was starstruck. They blessed all the holy cards I braught and were very warm and friendly. The sisters were all joyful and we laughed until our sides hurt at almost every dinner, I about blew milk out my nose. I didn't know that I could pray throughout the whole day (liturgy of the hours) but I really found myself looking forward to it. I was sad to leave and am looking forward to another visit.[/quote]
Sounds like the typical visit! ^_^ I love the sisters... :love:

[quote name='He is Risen!' post='1483902' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:16 PM']The sisters were all joyful and we laughed until our sides hurt at almost every dinner, I about blew milk out my nose.[/quote]
I've almost had that experience too...

A Yearning Heart

That brought the most wonderfully, happy imagine to my mind.
The Lord certainly must have blessed them with happiness-overflowing by the looks of it !

He is Risen!

I have been trying to maintain my prayer throughout the day, even though I don't always have a computer (virtual liturgy of the hours) handy. It is difficult even when there is a day off. It seemed so easy there, I guess that is one of the beautiful gifts of being in a religious community. I do like to say my own prayers and the ones that I know, but they lack structure and I am very easily distracted. Any tips to tide me over until my next visit? I can't really spend money anything (books) right now.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='He is Risen!' post='1486471' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:07 AM']I have been trying to maintain my prayer throughout the day, even though I don't always have a computer (virtual liturgy of the hours) handy. It is difficult even when there is a day off. It seemed so easy there, I guess that is one of the beautiful gifts of being in a religious community. I do like to say my own prayers and the ones that I know, but they lack structure and I am very easily distracted. Any tips to tide me over until my next visit? I can't really spend money anything (books) right now.[/quote]

Make a space in your room with a bit of blank wall. Pin a crucifix on it (could be tiny, mine is a wooden San Damiano meant for side rosaries which a Fransiscan friar gave me, it's about 3"). Try to bring structure in your entire life: get up at the same time each day, shuffle to the bathroom, dress, shuffle back, kneel down - before you start your morning activities. You can pray Vespers when you get home in the afternoon, even though it may not be entirely the appropriate time. Soon you'll be so used to it that you'll notice you're in the "prayer corner" without remembering you walked there :)