Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

brendan1104
Posted

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/brendan1104/benedict.jpg[/img]

I know that while the usual papal crosier (gangly cross) is on a travelling exhibit, I hope that his "new" [i]baculus pastoralis[/i] used by the pre-conciliar popes is here to stay, rather than just a temporary solution... it looks a lot better! It's been used for all the Holy Week liturgies so far including today's Masses of Chrism and the Lord's Supper.

Plus the Cardinal Deacons, Pontifical Dalmatic, traditional altar arrangement... :)

Deo Gratias!

Posted

It's pretty. :)

Posted

It is nice, but I prefer seeing crucifixes with the image of Christ crucified on it.

Servant of the Secret Fire
Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1480675' date='Mar 20 2008, 05:56 PM']It is nice, but I prefer seeing crucifixes with the image of Christ crucified on it.[/quote]

I agree.

This new one is very nice but I thought the silver one used more often recently was absolutely beautiful.

brendan1104
Posted

Until Paul VI, there was never a Corpus...

Posted

What was it before?

Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1480675' date='Mar 20 2008, 12:56 PM']It is nice, but I prefer seeing crucifixes with the image of Christ crucified on it.[/quote]


I agree

Posted (edited)

I found this one too:

[img]http://www.seiyaku.com/images/cross/pope02.jpg[/img]

I guess that was the old official papal cross.

Edited by prose
  • 4 weeks later...
brendan1104
Posted

Mgr. Guido Marini tells us that this cross "is becoming the usual one for papal celebrations." :)

Posted

Crosses didn't have corpus's for several centuries. I have no idea why that came up in my Ecclesiology class, but the professor said that it was because it was still too raw for new Christians to see the body on the cross. I thought maybe it was originally a backlash against the Muslims destroying every image in our old churches they had taken over. I prefer the corpus on the cross. Otherwise it just looks like any Protestant cross.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

I like the other crucifix, but this will do.

Posted

I saw on the News when the monks were helping pack the Holy Father's things. They showed this one. It apparently comes apart, so it is easier to pack for travelling

puellapaschalis
Posted

[quote name='StColette' post='1499176' date='Apr 14 2008, 07:47 PM']I saw on the News when the monks were helping pack the Holy Father's things. They showed this one. It apparently comes apart, so it is easier to pack for travelling[/quote]

I remember cleaning in my old parish at the Weekly Cleaning Session and my jaw dropping at just how many things came apart! But it also makes cleaning things much easier.

Galloglasses
Posted

Why has no-one noticed the underlying message in this?

Look closely at the cross...


[i]closer[/i],


[b][i]closer[/i][/b]



[b]
[u][i]closer[/i][/u][/b]




Have you not noticed the design? Have you not noticed the byzantine nature of it? While at the same time absolutely beuatiful, I honestly think the Holy Father was trying to improve relations with our Orthodox brethern with the use of this cross. I'm sure more then one Eastern right Catholic and Orthodox clergy noticed this, especially since they're keeping a keen eye on our liturgurical reforms.

Dreamweaver
Posted

Does anyone have a link to a closeup? It looks beautiful, even without the corpus.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...