An Old School Catholic Message Board

A "liberal" Order

Vin

Here is a community that is not wrapped in a veil yet seem very dynamic and devoted to the Church. They are called the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart

[url="http://www.sacredheartsisters.com/"]http://www.sacredheartsisters.com/[/url]

They've been around for quite some time, and have had a "habit" of dress and insignia. Never had a veil.

Blessings,
Gemma

:smokey: Yes,they and the Sisters of Social Service were both founded in Hungary.Not sure if the Sisters of Social Service ever wore a veil.
Also,in the Elinor Dehey book,she has listed the Sisters of the Social Mission were I think were also Hungarian.
The photo of the sister shown is not wearing a veil,and neither are the Medical Missionary Sisters either.
Both communities are still around,the Social Mission Sisters taking care of the Shrine of Our Lady of Mariapoch,
in Bedford,Ohio.

I spent some time working with the Red Plains Monastery Benedictines in Piedmont, Oklahoma. They are very prayer centered, and spiritually guided, but don't wear the habit. They are right outside Okla. City, and do lots of spiritual direction and retreat work.

Guest Perpetualove

I've worked with both the Sisters of Social Service and the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart. Both were founded during a time in Hungary when Catholicism was not allowed and they were not "allowed" to wear a habit or publicly proclaim their faith. The SSS recently had one of their Sisters beatified in Hungary, as martyr. She offered a haven to those being persecuted by the Nazis, was discovered and was shot in public; her body was thrown into a river. Her name was Sister Sarah.

The SSS still have Sisters throughout the world in hiding "undercover" - doing the work of God and ministering to those in need.

They never had a habit, but always had a large medal. Once in the United States, they wore a very simple gray dress with a little hat, which had a veil in the back. The hat was only worn outside (or in Church pre-Vatican II, obviously). You might see a picture of this outfit in one of the older McCarthy books. The Sacred Heart Sisters wear a beige skirt, a white blouse (cream/beige jacket for formal occasions) and a Sacred Heart emblem on their shirt.

Just as a note, these orders are not alone in creating simple common dress to blend into society because they were denied the right to confess/proclaim their Faith. During the French Revolution, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was founded by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat. Her nuns wore the simple clothing of widows. They continued to wear this outfit long after the Revolution, and by that time, it was known as their habit. There are many more like this, founded during different periods of history.

When I visited Stanbrook Abbey, the Benedictines were able to escape France by dressing in the street clothes that Carmelites of Compiegne had worn. The Carmelites wanted to wear their habits for their execution. They left their street clothes behind, the Benedictines put them on, and escaped! Stanbrook Abbey cares for these clothes as true relics, and gave some of them back to a Carmel in France. The Benedictines take them out on the Carmelites' Feast Day (July 17th) to venerate them.

Back to the SSS and SDSH - very different communities. The SSS are very modern (to avoid the use of the word LIBERAL!) and the SDSH are not so much. HOWEVER...the SSS has one of the countries leading speakers on Pro-Life issues (Sister Paula, SSS) and are very faithful in their liturgy and prayer. The SDSH focus on retreats and education, while the SSS focus on the care of the poor, women and children.

Hope that helps. If anybody wants further information on either order, please PM me.

We have 3 or so SDSH sisters living in St. Louis, as a matter of fact, just a few blocks from my own home. I see them at our local Walgreens once in a while. They may not wear a veil, but you can't miss the Sacred Heart badge on their blouse/blazer. They assist with catechist formation I think. They have camps for children, but those are located on the West coast. Wonderful community!

[quote name='stlmom' post='1480936' date='Mar 20 2008, 08:19 PM']We have 3 or so SDSH sisters living in St. Louis, as a matter of fact, just a few blocks from my own home. I see them at our local Walgreens once in a while. They may not wear a veil, but you can't miss the Sacred Heart badge on their blouse/blazer. They assist with catechist formation I think. They have camps for children, but those are located on the West coast. Wonderful community![/quote]
They really are a wonderful community and have come to talk at our local women's discernment group. One very interesting tidbit that the sisters shared with us is that each of their Sacred Heart badges (which are made by a sister in their community) is a bit different. The sister knows "her" Heart so well that she can distinguish it from all the others. The archdiocese here is blessed to have them.

[quote name='shortnun' post='1481573' date='Mar 22 2008, 12:10 PM']They really are a wonderful community and have come to talk at our local women's discernment group. One very interesting tidbit that the sisters shared with us is that each of their Sacred Heart badges (which are made by a sister in their community) is a bit different. The sister knows "her" Heart so well that she can distinguish it from all the others. The archdiocese here is blessed to have them.[/quote]

WOW. What a beautiful, endearing tradition. Lovely.

When I was growing up in Reno, Nevada, the SHSH sisters lived right down the street from me. I used to go visit them frequently and always felt so loved and welcome. I recently corresponded with one of the sisters and she told me that Sr. Ida, their founder, is being put forward for canonization. They asked if they could include my conversion story in the story of her life. Apparently, I met her when she lived in Reno, although I don't really remember that.

They are no longer in Reno, have moved to Southern California. But I'm sure that they continue to be the wonderful, spirit-filled community that I knew.

blessings, linnie

MC IMaGiNaZUN

What was ironic when I heard that when the Poor Clares and other women's mendicant movements began, they wore the dress of the common poor folk in villages. Plain and without colors.

SHALOM
Bro Mark

HeavenlyCalling

From all I have heard of them, they dont seem to be a 'liberal' community, they appear to be very solid and orthadox, and they do wear a habit, its just not a tunic and veil. Has one of the pham discerned with them? I seem to recall someone bring them up before....

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1482966' date='Mar 24 2008, 07:52 AM']and they do wear a habit, its just not a tunic and veil.[/quote]

========================================

I'm so glad you pointed that out. When I looked at the picture on their website I saw everyone dressed the same and I thought - gosh, they DO wear a habit...just not a tunic or veil. GMTA?

The one question I still have though is why so much (virtually 100%) of the habit talk (not just on this phorum but in many places these days) is always about women. Did you know that in some dioceses in the US, priests of the diocese are required (according to the bishop who is their legitimate authority) to wear a head covering while outdoors?

Just curious...when was the last time you heard anyone calling a priest heterodox or liberal because his hair or scalp was exposed while outdoors?

Guest Perpetualove

Gloria...good point! I didn't know that about men!

Also - the Sacred Heart sisters, just as an FYI, have the initials of SDSH - Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart.