An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heaven

Just wondered what we will do in heaven.
I know the obvious and the most fullfilling activity will be worshiping God and Jesus.
But will we be able to do simple things like play basketball or play a game of poker ?
And if so will these games be able to be competive ? Will there be emotions involved ?
Is there emotions in Heaven ? Is it possible to become upset or angry at someone ?
Will we be able to go to a buffet and load up on shrimp and chicken wings ?
I know what im describeing are activites that some wouldnt associate with heaven.
But any rate they are enjoyable and I cant imagine not competeing and not feeling a variety of emotions.
So what will we do in heaven ? When we are told there is no sin how does that work ?
Does it mean it will be impossible to offend anyone ?
How does that contrast to the heaven right now ? Where satan starts wars.
Is there still alot of sin being commited in heaven right now ? and if so just by satan or by everyone ?

dairygirl4u2c

i asked a prominent researcher who studies and believes in "near death experiences", look up if you don't know what i'm tlaking about. he said that it's "unknown or unknowable".

not sure if any private revelations have illuminated this area or not. maybe i hsouldn't have been asking a scientist.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1485945' date='Mar 27 2008, 05:16 PM']i asked a prominent researcher who studies and believes in "near death experiences", look up if you don't know what i'm tlaking about. he said that it's "unknown or unknowable".

not sure if any private revelations have illuminated this area or not. maybe i hsouldn't have been asking a scientist.[/quote]

lol

Revelations says that we will be praising God forever and ever and that it will be great because we will see God.

I had a friend who is convinced heaven will be filled with Reese's Pieces.....sorry I can't give a more serious answer right now, but that's true!
)

rizz_loves_jesus

I think we will have emotions. I mean, we'll perpetually be in the presence of God, how can we not be joyous?

As for there being food, I certainly hope it'll be there ;)

White Knight

I believe that in Heaven, we will have so many Attributes of ourselves drastically updated these attributes that God has granted every human being that ever lived and ever will live. Knowledge, Emotion, Comprehension in general, I believe we will be able to do things that we cannot even imagine here on Earth, and I believe we will be able to understand things that we cannot ever understand here on Earth, due to the effects of sin. Sin which has cursed creation.

I believe that we will also be able to Worship God in the way that has been discribed in Sacred Scripture, the Eternal Mass, worshiping the Blessed Trinity the Lamb beside Our Lady, the Angels, and Saints. I believe Heaven is going to be something that no matter how inspired you are you ca never fully understand it or put into words the actual reality of the place.

I believe in the fact that, no one will ever ever fully put down the indepth description, and have the words actually compare to the extraordinary reality of the whole thing.

[color="#FF8C00"][b]In a short less deep manner, Heaven is going to be Deeply Rich and Enhanced Perfect existance with God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit Three Divine Distinct Persons, One God Head, One God, One in Essence, Being, Substance, Nature, and Will.[/b][/color]

[size=5][b][color="#006400"]God Willing we will make it to find out.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color="#FF0000"][b]God Bless You
Pax Christi
Happy Easter Saturday
Happy 6th Day of Easter[/b][/color][/size]

Edited by White Knight

Galloglasses

This is a question that constantly reaccurs in my head. But I think several of these are perfectly understandable.

We cannot imagine Heaven exactly, we cannot even envisage heaven lest our mortal binded minds fail to comprehend them and go mad. This is why God never shows himself directly and those who do see God are half blinded by a light and forced to talk to Jesus. Any revelations of Heaven never go past the Throne of Judgement. We are free to speculate and hope, anything that God created is good ergo, would animals not be in heaven?

I actually think animals have souls, nowhere near on the same level as humans, but they ARE God's little creatures, would he forget them? Much less us if that is the case. Sides, who wouldn't want to see their childhood pets up in Heaven? For God said to Paul, do not call unclean what God has made clean.

Emotions, OF COURSE THERE WILL BE EMOTION!! Emotion is God's gift to us and not evil. Human Anger is an emotion and is good, its lets others know you are upset about something and, (well idealistically), your brothers would help you sort the problem. Hence, Anger is good. But the devil twists Anger into Hate, the same way he turns love into lust, ambition into greed, etc, etc, so emotions will be in heaven as emotions are of God, but their ugly clones will not be. Else how would we laugh and love?

I personally hope I will be able to read comic books up there, (geeky I know, but I've ALWAYS wanted to read the Archy Sonic the Hedgehog comics but never got the chance), but I don't think this will be likely. TV or some equivilent would be rather unneccesary I'd say, God is good enough, better even, to gaze upon for hours upon end. I can't imagine why computers and the like would be not there, but again, like TV, may be unneccesary for equivical entertainment or joy brought forth from them. (My old Religious Studies teacher REALLY hopes games are up there, he's a real gamer but never has time for them) Would make a nice addition though.

I remember hearing that you will completely forget your past life on earth when you get to Heaven. To me this is proposterous, its is obviously drawn from revealations where God has His own name for You, a unique name for you and you alone. He loves you so much He made a name especially for you so that you would be truely unique from all creation. This of course is interpreted as He will be giving you a new identity. Of course it does, but that does not mean you will forget your past life. Would you not be more joyous to know the journey you travelled, hardships you've endured, and sin you've overcome and know that you have Pleased your God and have emerged victorious? Sides, wouldn't it just fail big time to meet G.K.Chesterton only to find he completely forgot his legendary witicism? or to meet someone you know only to have them ask "Who are you?" instead of "How are you?"

As for food, well, they're is nothing sinful abvout Fried chicken, but I beleive there would be better and more delicious foods up there. It'd be a shame if we went to Heaven and found the French cooks could not remember how to cook, (yes i'm certain there are at least SOME French up there), or they were not allowed to cook. Cooking is an artform, a TRUE art, is not art pleasing to God, the attempt of man to mimick their God in creation? Ergo, it makes sense that you're favourite foods would be up there, but obviously you would not suffer health defects from them. It is Heaven afterall.

Heaven is also known as the Garden of the Lord, would He not make it so at least in some way? A true garden befitting of our God's presence? Is not gardening also an art? Ergo, God's floral creations would be up there, maybe even new ones, more majesty and beuatiful then we can comprehend.

I also remember hearing of a young American girl who died in the night and was shown Heaven, she saw the Lord sitting down on a throne, new flowers, even colours in Heaven that we do not have here. I do not know the truth of this, but the girl is alive and well now, the documentary was a pan-religious eccumenical thing that was exploring all the ideas of the divine from all the religions of the world, yet lingered on the girl's story were she tells of Our God, yet finishes by suggesting that God is jsut an impersonal force and all religions come from the same God. Particularly this quote which is still ringing in my head from these past years. "All the leaders of the Religions suddenly realised: 'Hey, we're all talking about the same thing!' and thats were we get the eccumenical movement". Grrrrr, sell the hypocritical new age carp somewhere else, this Irishman isn't buying. But the girl was shown in a picture on the Doc, she was standing against a wall with a Picture of the Sacred Heart and a crucifex around her neck. She looks genuinely faithful, I fear that she will be affected by this new age poison floating around these days.

But imagine it, new colours in Heaven? Of course you can't, but what if there were? And of course, imagine there were creatures in heaven that never were on earth? Asides from angels, we know little of citizens of Heaven.

Do not take my word for it though, I am NO theologian, you're better off asking a Priest then me.

Some of the more puritanical Protestant visions of Heaven seem sterile to me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1485925' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:57 PM']Just wondered what we will do in heaven.
I know the obvious and the most fullfilling activity will be worshiping God and Jesus.
But will we be able to do simple things like play basketball or play a game of poker ?
And if so will these games be able to be competive ? Will there be emotions involved ?
Is there emotions in Heaven ? Is it possible to become upset or angry at someone ?
Will we be able to go to a buffet and load up on shrimp and chicken wings ?
I know what im describeing are activites that some wouldnt associate with heaven.
But any rate they are enjoyable and I cant imagine not competeing and not feeling a variety of emotions.
So what will we do in heaven ? When we are told there is no sin how does that work ?
Does it mean it will be impossible to offend anyone ?
How does that contrast to the heaven right now ? Where satan starts wars.
Is there still alot of sin being commited in heaven right now ? and if so just by satan or by everyone ?[/quote]

I recently gave a pseudo-scientific explanation for hell that may add some light on this
subject:

[url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tate4CentralNova/message/2076"]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tate4CentralNova/message/2076[/url]
[b]Scientific explanation for hell, from Dennis Tate. Re: Update from Sid Roth.[/b]

[quote]I sent this e-mail off to Mr. Roth last week and later I
remembered I had forgotten to write that I suspect that
in whatever space time dimensional continuum hell
primarily exists, perhaps our consciousness has been
taken back to square one, rock bottom, the absolute
beginning, the Tohu and Bohu of Genesis chapter
one verse two (without form and void). Super Strings are
perceived as living worms in this state of mind that
may be analogous to extreme selfishness, a total lack
of concern for the welfare of others.

Perhaps the intense energy predicted to exist in the
higher is perceived as heat.

I hope that this message helps you to sort through all the
conflicting information on this subject.[/quote]

[quote]Shalom Mr. Roth:

Yesterday I had the opportunity to view your
telecast with Ms. Mary K. Baxter as she spoke
about having visions of hell for thirty days and
then visions of heaven for ten days. I believe that
a scientific explanation combining psychology and
theoretical quantum nuclear physics
exists for her visions of hell
and heaven, (but this doesn't exactly rule out the
veracity of what she saw).

As I know you are well aware, Dr. Stephen
Hawking and other
theoretical mathematician physicists are working
on a "Theory of Everything." A "Grand Unified
Theory" of space and time that may well mathematically
link gravity, electromagnetism, weak and strong
nuclear force into one "SuperForce" operating
at ultra high
levels of energy. It is already essentially understood
that in a five dimentional universe electromagnetism
would mathematically be a component of gravity
but time itself would be somehow altered.[/quote]

[quote][size=4]Mr. Roth, do you think that I am terribly misguided to strongly
suspect that HaShem/The Ancient of Days/The G-d
of Abraham is the Life Form who naturally evolved
in the eternally existant "Superforce?" I have came to
believe in evolution but I regard the traditional theory of
evolution occuring here in the fourth dimension as
astonishingly unlikely. On the other hand if SuperForce
by its very nature would always have exited, and if
there at the minimum had to be a sufficient supply of
this power to form the material universe, then we would be
talking about infinite time being the paradigm within
which life could "evolve" in the truly fundamental
space time dimension[/size].[/quote]

[quote]If this theory is at all accurate then perhaps HaShem
may have required a rather lengthy "time period"
to INVENT planets, stars, the force of gravity,
grass, trees, ameboa, squirrels, the human
reproductive process, and whatever possible prototypes
may have been experimented with previous to the
creation of Adam and Eve that may well have been
created only about six thousand years ago. [size=4]If indeed
there are ten or eleven space time dimensions and if
all higher dimensions are invisible then is it
possible that arch-angels
such as Gabriel, Michael, Phanuel, Uriel or Raphael
may well be beings who exist primarily in ninth
dimensional space-time? [/size]
Some gifted people report
seeing "nature spirits" who are used by G-d to
assist the grass and trees to grow. Could these
angelic beings be spirits who operate perhaps primarily in
the sixth or seventh space-time dimensional continuum?
If so this would explain why they are invisible to
we humans who are usually limited to observing
fourth dimensional phenomena.[/quote]

[quote][size=4]The human spirit or soul or higher space time
dimensional hard drive within us seems to have
a tremendous desire to accomplish something
significant and truly altruistic with our earthly
lives. [/size]About one third of the people who report having
a near death experience say that they met a Being of
Light who usually asks them some version of the
question, "what have you done with your life that you
can show me?"

During this life review process it seems as if the only
things that count in our favour are acts of genuine
altruistic love and how much worthwhile knowledge we
have learned from our time here. We Christians often
report meeting Jesus/Yahushua and our faith in
his substitutinary sacrifice on our behalf seems to
give us a valid reason to avoid being thrown down to
"hell", (or perhaps this faith helps us to not throw
themselves there).

It seems to me as if our human psychology is ultimately
somewhat like the awesome individual (our Heavenly
Father) revealed in Isaiah 40:[/quote]

[quote][size=4]When we see our continual sins and errors we are hit
with intense SHAME. We feel such overwhelming guilt that
we tend to cast ourselves down into the horrible
place that was shown to Ms Baxter[/size]. I am not saying that
her visions were at all a halucination. Much to my own
dismay I am wide open to the possibility that her
visions are all too real.[/quote]

On the subject of heaven, the section of this writing entitled "The Judgment Seat of Christ" is one of the most powerful writings I have ever encountered on what we do in heaven. Notice Jesus and the Father have more women and children near them, than men:

[url="http://eaglevision.com.my/hordes.htm"]http://eaglevision.com.my/hordes.htm[/url]

[quote]In this first multitude I saw many other men and women of God from both my own time and history. I stopped and talked to many more. I was continually shocked that so many who expected to be in the highest positions were in the lowest rank of the kingdom. Many shared the same basic story-they all had fallen to the deadly sin of pride after their great victories, or fallen to jealousy when other men were anointed as much as they were. Others had fallen to lust, discouragement, or bitterness near the end of their lives and had to be taken before they crossed the line into perdition. They all gave me the same warning: the higher the spiritual authority that you walk in, the further you can fall if you depart from love and humility.[/quote]

[quote]I could recognize some of the great heroes of the faith, but most of those seated I knew had not even been well known on earth. Many I knew had been missionaries who had expended their lives in obscurity. They had never cared to be remember on earth, but only to Him. I was a bit surprised to see some who had been wealthy, or rulers who had been faithful with what they had been given. [size=4]However, it seemed that faithful, praying women and mothers occupied more thrones than any other single group[/size].[/quote]