An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Would You Treat Someone Who Would Rob You At Knifepoint?

Norseman82

Best response to a knife wielding mugger  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, we have two threads regarding reactions to knife-wielding muggers. Which one do you think is the better response:

1) The senior citizen in California:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=78562"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=78562[/url]

2) The 31-year old social worker in New York:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=78452"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=78452[/url]

Edited by Norseman82

Well, I can't blame the old guy for how he reacted... being accosted when you're an eighty year old is different than when you're a hale and healthy thirty-one year old guy. The social worker story is way more inspiring. But I have to say that IMO the best way to treat someone who robs you at knifepoint is to give them whatever property they want, do whatever they say and get away as quickly as possible...

I would have cried and ran.

But then again, I am a woman. There is FAR more risk for me than for a man of any age.

The best way to treat someone who is trying to rob you at knife point is: Be aware enough of your surroundings that you never even meet said knife wielding thug.

It's too conditional IMHO. The old guy had his hands full, plus he was a veteran. He put up with more junk that we could imagine. He could have been charitable, but instead he taught the kid another lesson: don't pick on people just because they seem to be frail. On the other hand, what the young guy did in the other example was a very Biblical thing. Gave the kid money, and gave his coat while he was at it. I voted for him, but I almost took a Null cause of the conditions. In fact, I'm quite inspired by both parties. The old guy for having the chutzpa left to defend himself when laden with groceries, and the young guy for seeing Christ in the young kid.

I'd like ta' say 'dat tha' better choice wuzzup 'dat oven tha' social worker, and, Andy, I'd probably wish I would react 'dat way myself.

However, knowing myself, well... tha' mugger's knife arm would be broken at tha' wrist and, Andy, elbow, tha' same eye would be gouged out oven socket, and, Andy, I'd probably got ta' be dragged away by police well after tha' fact in an incoherent, gibbering rage. so 'dat I would want ta', just 'dat iz probably my gut reaction.

honestly, i would have reacted like the senior citizen, although, i would probably pray for the guy later.

I have a wife and a kid. I would do whatever I could to end the situation. I would not turn over anything with my name or address on it. If that means death for the mugger, then so be it.

[quote name='Deb' post='1493263' date='Apr 5 2008, 07:24 PM']If everyone could react like the social worker, maybe we could eventually eliminate the muggers.[/quote]
sorry, that is unrealistic. why? because there will always be people out there who want to take advantage of those perceived to be 'weaker'.

I don't know what I'd do. I guess it'd depend on the specifics of the situation. If I felt that I was going to be attacked or raped, then I'd probably fight back, especially if striking back would give me the few seconds I'd need to escape. If I had no chance of fighting back and escaping, I'd probably have to hand over my purse. On the other hand, if I felt that my mugger was a scared teenager trying to score some money, I'd possibly handle things a bit differently.

[quote name='Deb' post='1495939' date='Apr 9 2008, 07:05 PM']I think that if you just wet your pants and acted insane, they would go away.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
which i think i would do anyway.

honestly, i think most of us don't know what we would do until we are confronted with that sort of situation. no matter what we would [b]like[/b] to do.

CatholicMax

I would do like the retired marine in Florida. make like i am moving for my wallet and retrieve my gun, tell him that if he blinks wrong i will shoot him without a second thought. reach for my cellphone and call 911. and then if he blinked wrong i would shoot him, I am not going to risk my life.

also if he turned to run away i would shoot him in the leg.