An Old School Catholic Message Board

3rd Graders Scheme And Plot

ardillacid

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23905909/"]Link Here[/url]

[quote]WAYCROSS, Georgia - A group of children ages 8 to 10 apparently were mad at their teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, authorities say.

That led the third-graders, as many as nine boys and girls, to plot an attack on the teacher at Center Elementary School in south Georgia.

Police Chief Tony Tanner said the students apparently planned to knock the teacher unconscious with a glass paperweight, bind her with handcuffs and duct tape and then stab her with a broken steak knife.

The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, and another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

School officials had alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had taken a weapon to school.

Tanner said the teacher told detectives the children weren't known as troublemakers.

"You can't dismiss it," Tanner said. "But because they are kids, they may have thought this was like a cartoon — we do whatever and then she stands up and she's OK. That's a hard call."

'We thought they were just kidding'
The purported target teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities, including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

Two of the students were arrested on juvenile charges Tuesday and a third arrest was expected. District Attorney Rick Currie said other students told investigators they didn't take the plot seriously or insisted they had decided not to participate.

"Some of the kids said, 'We thought they were just kidding,'" Currie said. "Another child was supposed to bring a toy pistol, and he told a detective he didn't bring it because he thought he would get in trouble."

Currie said the children are too young to be charged as adults, and probably too young to be sentenced to a youth detention center.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

Currie said he decided to seek juvenile charges against two girls, ages 9 and 10, who brought the knife and paperweight and an 8-year-old boy who brought tape. He said they face charges of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, and both girls are being charged with taking weapons to school.

Nine children have been given discipline up to and including long-term suspension, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system. She would not be more specific but said none of the children had been back to school since the case came to light.

School system policy says any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.[/quote]

Archaeology cat

I actually saw this story today in the Jacksonville Times-Union (I was looking on their website, since I used to live in JAX). But it just surprises me from Waycross, since it strikes me as a quieter sort of place. Not that I've really spent time there, though.

rizz_loves_jesus

I saw this- it's really scary that third graders (THIRD GRADERS) are capable of doing something like this!

Archaeology cat

I wouldn't have expected it, either. Mine were more likely to just punch or kick, and I could handle that. Don't know what I would have done had any of them actually brought a weapon.

We were too involved in Blue Birds and Cub Scouts at that age to plot murder. Maybe Waycross is too quiet a place and the kids were bored. Where do they get the ideas for this stuff? It's no wonder fewer people want to have kids anymore.

Autumn Dusk

Quite frankly, I am not surprised. There are cases of 1st and 2nd graders punching their pregnant teacher's belly becuase they knew she wouldn't be around when the baby was born. In some cases the baby died. :(

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1491359' date='Apr 2 2008, 05:11 PM']Quite frankly, I am not surprised. There are cases of 1st and 2nd graders punching their pregnant teacher's belly becuase they knew she wouldn't be around when the baby was born. In some cases the baby died. :([/quote]

:o That is shocking, no less. I actually stared at my screen for a few seconds when I read this...

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1491373' date='Apr 2 2008, 06:32 PM']:o That is shocking, no less. I actually stared at my screen for a few seconds when I read this...[/quote]

Thats not even with emotionally disturbed kids. Like I mentioned in one post I study/work with kids who have psychological/motor problems. Kids have killed class pets, tried to poison the teacher, etc. They have beaten teachers, even male teachers...one guy was hit so hard in the nuts he suffered serious damage to that region.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1491390' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:11 PM']Thats not even with emotionally disturbed kids. Like I mentioned in one post I study/work with kids who have psychological/motor problems. Kids have killed class pets, tried to poison the teacher, etc. They have beaten teachers, even male teachers...one guy was hit so hard in the nuts he suffered serious damage to that region.[/quote]
I wish I could say I was surprised, but after having taught where I did, that doesn't surprise me. One of my friends got a concussion from a child throwing a rock at her head on the playground. I personally never had students bring in weapons (that's the part I was surprised about in that article), but I was punched & kicked a couple of times.

Archaeology cat

An update: [url="http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-04-02-ga-students-plot_N.htm?csp=34"]article here[/url]