An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers Relating To Sacramentals?

the_rev

I was wondering if there were specific prayers for the following:

The putting on of the San Daminao Cross.

The Putting on of the Miraculous Medal

The Putting on of the Scapular after showers.

Are there specific prayers to pray when you put these sacramentals on? (there sacramentals aren't they?)

Yes, those three items are sacramentals.

There are no specific prayers for putting them on, but there are blessings for sacramentals like crucifixes, crosses, medals and scapulars.

I don't think the early or medieval Church had a concept of "having a shower", and so would not have thought a special prayer when putting a scapular back on after having a shower!

But what you can do, and this what all religious brothers, sisters, minks, nuns etc do, is that when we put on the scapular (ours are the huge apron kinds) over the habit, we kiss it first. For me my scapular was blessed only when I took my vows the first time, and kissing it is a reminder of our vows. We also tend to kiss it if we make mistakes when singing the Divine Office.

If I were you I should kiss the scapular or medal or crucifix when putting it back on, and say a short, sharp prayer, like 'Jesus I trust in you' or 'have mercy on me a sinner' etc. And I would get these items blessed by a bishop, priest or deacon---whoever is available.