An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About The First Novena

Paladin D

...been conducted in the upper room for 9 days, amongst Mary and the Apostles. My mother asks in a curious way "If that was the first novena, which saints were they praying too?"

Considering that Novenas (from what I read in Catholicism for Dummies) are mainly prayers to a saint, spread out in 9 consecutive days. I'm wondering that myself. :lol:

Novenas don't have to be addressed to the saints. They can be addressed to God as well. The 9 days before Pentecost, the Church does a novena to the Holy Spirit. And there are novenas to Jesus under the aspects of the Sacred Heart, Precious Blood, Holy Name, etc. The apostles were begging the Holy Spirit to come in their novena.

littleflower+JMJ

yup novenas aren't just for saints! ^_^ LOL

theres the novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the novena for Divine Mercy, the novena for the Holy Spirit, the novena for the Child Jesus, the corpus christi novena, and im sure theres a list somewhere! LOL

but even though the novena may be thru a saint or the Blessed Mother, each novena is really God's novena! :D :lol:

God bless.

+JMJ

Laudate_Dominum

And I think it's cool that Our Lady was in the upper room with the Apostles when they made the first novena. So really they made a novena to the Holy Spirit in union with Mary the Spouse of the Holy Spirit. It doesn't get much better than that! :cool: