Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I pray for his soul, his suffering and for his family.
I still pray for John and Bobby and for all the pain that family has suffered in service to this country.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

Seriously people. Nobody is gonna dance on his grave. On the other hand he has been instrumental in keeping abortion legal for many years, so explain to me why we are supposed to feel bad. All families have tragedies: my SIL died of a brain tumor, my ex has protate cancer, my mother died pancreatic cancer, and my nephew is dying of leukemia and brain cancer, are their lives any less important than his? They didn't and don't have the power against abortion but he did and he voted to keep the killing fields alive and well.
Pray for his conversion to Catholicism and a happy death but also pray for all the babies his voice could have saved. Just don't expect everyone to feel sorry for him, he will get better medical care than most of the cancer patients in the rest of the country, and called great by the uniformed to the end.

Posted (edited)

Maybe because some of us are old enough to remember his brother John getting his brains blown out on television when he was the President of the United States. Maybe we also remember his brother Bobby being blown away and his blood running on the floor when he was running for President. These things happened way before abortion was legal. They also happened before assassination and murder were just things that popped up, were discussed and then forgotten. They were felt, deeply by the people in this country.

Maybe, sometimes, people can actually feel compassion for someone regardless of their race, religion or political stance just because they understand that the person carries many great wounds. When everyone made jokes about his being an alcoholic, did anyone wonder what they would be like if they watched two of their brothers be murdered in such a public forum? Maybe we can care just because they are a human being. Maybe Ted just represented the people in his state, as he was elected to do. Do you wish harm and cancer and death on all of them too?

If you want to tout Catholicism, love one another is at the very very very top of the list. It doesn't come with an; except if they do this or this or this. Very sad.

Edited by Deb
Posted

I agree with Deb. Whether you think that his work was good or bad, you can't argue that this man gave his life in service to this country doing what he believed was right, and we should all have compassion for him.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

I am quite old enough to remember John Kennedy and actually attended one of his speeches. I also heard Ted speak when he was younger and still Catholic. I do remember the vision of Camelot. I also mourn for what might have been if John or Bobby had lived, and Ted had not had to step in.
He deserves the same compassion as any child of God, and more prayers than most.

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

:prayers:

CatherineM
Posted

I can't imagine Bobby being a voice for abortion that Ted became. I remember his speech where right after he found out his wife was pregnant with their last one, he said that he had lost whatever stand he could have had on birth control. I wonder if someone like Ted had spoken out against abortion, what kind of a difference could it have made.

Posted

[quote name='alicemary' post='1536149' date='May 21 2008, 10:56 AM']My God you people are the most heartless messes I have seen yet. The man has a malignant brain tumor and will be dead in a few months...which I am sure you will be dancing on his grave. I am shocked and appaled at your total lack of charity. He represented the people in his district and what they wanted. I am more worried about the state of YOUR sorry souls then of Mr Kennedy's. This is a Catholic site? Hardly. For shame phatmass[/quote]


[quote name='rachael' post='1536157' date='May 21 2008, 11:03 AM']I agree. I made this thread because a man is dying from brain cancer. While we may not agree with with his politics, he is still a human being. We may still pray for him. Phatmass, you have disgusted me. :ohno:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
for shame on phatmass? so you guys are blaming all of phatmass for 2 people's offensive comments?! :ohno: the rest of us said we are praying for him and his conversion (as i would anybody). so for shame on all of us because TWO PEOPLE said something offensive. :rolleyes: gimme a break

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1536539' date='May 21 2008, 06:23 PM']+J.M.J.+
for shame on phatmass? so you guys are blaming all of phatmass for 2 people's offensive comments?! :ohno: the rest of us said we are praying for him and his conversion (as i would anybody). so for shame on all of us because TWO PEOPLE said something offensive. :rolleyes: gimme a break[/quote]
The general tone of this thread is kind of poopy. :mellow:

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1536539' date='May 21 2008, 06:23 PM']+J.M.J.+
for shame on phatmass? so you guys are blaming all of phatmass for 2 people's offensive comments?! :ohno: the rest of us said we are praying for him and his conversion (as i would anybody). so for shame on all of us because TWO PEOPLE said something offensive. :rolleyes: gimme a break[/quote]


Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there has been a feeling of general lack of charity lately? :unsure: And the fact that when a few of us brought it up and attempted to try to offer olive branches to everyone else, nothing really happened? And the fact that nobody wants to address it as a real issue? Maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back for them? :unsure:

ETA: Also, besides nothing really happening, some people tried to hide behind the cover of "speaking truth" when that wasn't even the issue at hand? And basically denied there was any problem?


Prayers for Sen Kennedy and his poor family. :(

Edited by Alycin
Posted

I just wish that in the greater picture I could have had the charity to think and speak more pleasantly of him before this news hit the tv. It kind of makes me feel cheap to spill out adulations now. In any case, we should definitely all be continuing to pray for him and his.

rizz_loves_jesus
Posted

Prayers for his conversion. A BIG conversion.

dominicansoul
Posted

I don't think any one should apologize for speaking ill of his thoughts, his ideas and the way the man has been outspoken for killing babies. The truth is the truth! You aren't attacking the man, just everything he has stood for...

As far as being sad for his latest condition, I rejoice for him! He knows that his days are numbered...and now, he can make a choice to move closer to the Lord...

Posted

I pray that Mr. Kennedy comes to feel sorrow for the immoral postions he has taken on various issues during his time in congress; and that God, in His infinite mercy, forgives the senator for the harm that he has done to our society over the past forty years.

May God also comfort his family at this time of crisis.

Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1536722' date='May 21 2008, 09:31 PM']I don't think any one should apologize for speaking ill of his thoughts, his ideas and the way the man has been outspoken for killing babies. The truth is the truth! You aren't attacking the man, just everything he has stood for...

As far as being sad for his latest condition, I rejoice for him! He knows that his days are numbered...and now, he can make a choice to move closer to the Lord...[/quote]

I don't think anyone has made a comment on his political opinions. We have only heard one immature comment on Mr. Kennedy's weight.

Do you really rejoice at the news that someone has terminal illness? I'm sorry, but that sickens me.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Kitty' post='1536749' date='May 21 2008, 11:06 PM']I don't think anyone has made a comment on his political opinions. We have only heard one immature comment on Mr. Kennedy's weight.

Do you really rejoice at the news that someone has terminal illness? I'm sorry, but that sickens me.[/quote]

We ALL have a terminal illness called life, and we all face the end one way or another. We always hope anyone facing death has a conversion to Catholicism and a happy death.

Posted

What's with this "Wow, Phatmass is mean, calling Kennedy names" (verbatum) nonesense?

Only [b]ONE[/b] user called Kennedy a name, the rest either prayed for his conversion and/or health.

Please don't turn this thread into another drama play. I'm not taking sides, but let's just stick with the topic at hand. Please??? :)


May Sen. Kennedy... through this experience... realize the errors of his ways, have a change of heart, and repent. Also, may God comfort him, and have mercy on his soul. Amen.

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1536936' date='May 22 2008, 12:33 AM']We ALL have a terminal illness called life, and we all face the end one way or another. We always hope anyone facing death has a conversion to Catholicism and a happy death.[/quote]

This is my last post on this subject but I do not hope for anyone who is dying to convert to Catholicism. I hope they get better and die painlessly and peacefully. I have known people who died who were not Catholic. I think it is ridiculous for your first condolence to be "I hope you convert."

It's my own personal experiences that really put me off the whole "pray for their conversion" rather than their HEALING.

Posted

[quote name='Kitty' post='1536749' date='May 22 2008, 12:06 PM']I don't think anyone has made a comment on his political opinions. We have only heard one immature comment on Mr. Kennedy's weight.[/quote]
Riiiiight, I only made that comment because I discriminate against the obese. :rolleyes: I have family members that are obese and I love them dearly. I made the comment precisely because of his political stances.

[quote]Do you really rejoice at the news that someone has terminal illness? I'm sorry, but that sickens me.[/quote]
No. Who on earth does?

Oh, and as for the croutons you gave me about his brain tumor medication causing his obesity, Teddy was obese [i]before[/i] he had this tumor. It's all the New England clam chowder that he eats.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Deb' post='1536265' date='May 22 2008, 04:26 AM']Maybe because some of us are old enough to remember his brother John getting his brains blown out on television when he was the President of the United States. Maybe we also remember his brother Bobby being blown away and his blood running on the floor when he was running for President. These things happened way before abortion was legal. They also happened before assassination and murder were just things that popped up, were discussed and then forgotten. They were felt, deeply by the people in this country.[/quote]

Being assassinated does NOT make anyone a great leader. I don't care if it's on live television, I don't care if there's blood spilling all over the floor, getting shot has nothing to do with the quality of your leadership. It's nothing more than a tragic situation, and the only thing their families deserve is our sympathy for it, not to be herald as having some sort of moral superiority over everyone else.

I'm sure you'll just reply that I wasn't there when it happened, and I'm too young to remember it, and blah, blah, blah, but ultimately you'll just be proving my point that your argument is not based on what type of leader Kennedy was, but on the pure raw emotion it conveyed on your television.

TV dumbs a lot of people down.

[quote]Maybe, sometimes, people can actually feel compassion for someone regardless of their race, religion or political stance just because they understand that the person carries many great wounds. When everyone made jokes about his being an alcoholic, did anyone wonder what they would be like if they watched two of their brothers be murdered in such a public forum? Maybe we can care just because they are a human being.[/quote]
We all carry wounds. I could go into lengths about mine, but I'll spare everyone my sob stories.

I do care about Ted Kennedy as a human being. I also care about the unborn that Kennedy is responsible for killing. Excuse me for being angry with him over that despite all the tragedies that have afflicted his family. If someone killed your child in cold blood, and later said he was a victim of abuse as a child, would you suddenly feel all the sympathy you feel for Kennedy? Murder is murder. There is no excuse.

[quote]Maybe Ted just represented the people in his state, as he was elected to do. Do you wish harm and cancer and death on all of them too?[/quote]
First of all, its ridiculous to think anyone here is wishing cancer on anyone. Also, sacrificing the unborn just to hold a political office does not give you any extra brownie points with God. He's still guilty of it, no matter what motivated him.

Seriously, I'm still trying to grasp the fact that two little words in my post have caused such a stir here. Not only that, but people think I wish cancer on Ted Kennedy, what? :blink:

Edited by Justin86

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...