An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations In Black And White

dominicansoul

dominicansoul

Check out the new book that was published!

[url="http://monialesop.blogspot.com/"]http://monialesop.blogspot.com/[/url]

It has vocation stories of Dominican Nuns and one of them is Sr. Mary Catharine, O.P.! :woot: :dance: :cool!:

[quote name='praying4carmel' post='1541865' date='May 25 2008, 08:12 PM']Picture Shows SMC with Crutches...Anyone have any news on that?[/quote]

One of the earlier blog posts on the same page says that she's had "major reconstructive surgery of her foot and ankle."

dominicansoul

Yes, she's recovering from major surgery on her foot and ankle. She's not used to being so immobile, so keep her in your prayers! I spoke to her almost a month ago, and she told me she was surprised at the extent of the operation. She's been using the wheelchair and is now moving up to the crutches, too. The Novitiate sisters are pretty much spoiling her right now! (And of course, so is Sr. Judith Miryam!)

Also, if any of you know the community, Sr. Deepa, now Sr. Veronica Marie of the Heart of Jesus is also using a wheelchair because she recently injured her knee.

Please keep them in your prayers!

DiscerningSoul

Prayers of course :)
I know SMC was comming here for a period, so if she see's this "GET WELL SOON".

Love.

• 2 years later...
sistersintigo

This thread is older, and of course the book is no longer brand new. Just reading the book for the first time, hence bumping the thread.
Even though these are all Order of Preachers / Dominican women, some of the references to other orders are catholic, small c, in the most constructive possible way. This forum gives up a lot of love for "My Beloved," the long out of print autobiography of a Carmelite vocation. And "My Beloved" is name-checked in the very first contribution in "Vocations in Black and White." The first Dominican nun in the book, who started in the Detroit monastery and moved with it when the nuns relocated to the suburbs in Farmington Hills, studied "My Beloved" when she was a young woman discerning a vocation, making retreats, talking to her spiritual director. Nice reference.

Sr. Mary Catherine is still suffering quite a lot; the foot has not healed properly, if anyone would like to pray for her.

teresitacarmel

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='12 July 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1278980116' post='2141876']
This thread is older, and of course the book is no longer brand new. Just reading the book for the first time, hence bumping the thread.
Even though these are all Order of Preachers / Dominican women, some of the references to other orders are catholic, small c, in the most constructive possible way. This forum gives up a lot of love for "My Beloved," the long out of print autobiography of a Carmelite vocation. And "My Beloved" is name-checked in the very first contribution in "Vocations in Black and White." The first Dominican nun in the book, who started in the Detroit monastery and moved with it when the nuns relocated to the suburbs in Farmington Hills, studied "My Beloved" when she was a young woman discerning a vocation, making retreats, talking to her spiritual director. Nice reference.
[/quote]

I have this book, and I love it! I'd like to get a copy of "My Beloved" too, but sadly, it's unavailable...

PrayerSupporter

[quote name='teresitacarmel' date='13 July 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1279000037' post='2141963']
I'd like to get a copy of "My Beloved" too, but sadly, it's unavailable...
[/quote]

Just in case you can afford about $30 ($23 plus postage) there are three copies on Amazon offered by sellers under "used books". I'll post the link, although I don't know if it will work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GWWA6Y/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1279021619&sr=8-2-spell&condition=used

It is a wonderful book and gives a complete and beautiful description of life as a Carmelite nun. I treasure my copy which even has an inscription by Mother Catherine Thomas.

Edited by PrayerSupporter

OnlySunshine

[quote name='PrayerSupporter' date='13 July 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1279022063' post='2141991']
Just in case you can afford about $30 ($23 plus postage) there are three copies on Amazon offered by sellers under "used books". I'll post the link, although I don't know if it will work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GWWA6Y/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1279021619&sr=8-2-spell&condition=used

It is a wonderful book and gives a complete and beautiful description of life as a Carmelite nun. I treasure my copy which even has an inscription by Mother Catherine Thomas.
[/quote]

If I was ever considering the Carmelites for my discernment, I'd buy that book. I've heard very good things. But, alas, I don't need any more books! People can tell I'm a Dominican by the amount of books I've bought in the last month including:

15 Days of Prayer with St. Dominic
Saint Dominic (a biography)
Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena

I started reading the Dialogues and find them quite good. There is one book I am still trying to obtain which is:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Porres-Cross-Crown-Spirituality/dp/089555092X"]Martin de Porres (a biography)[/url]

In fact, Amazon has some very low priced copies and I'll probably be buying it....RIGHT NOW! :P

:lol:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='13 July 2010 - 08:01 AM' timestamp='1279022460' post='2141995']

In fact, Amazon has some very low priced copies and I'll probably be buying it....RIGHT NOW! :P

:lol:
[/quote]

DONE! I got the book for $2.95 and added expedited shipping! I love Amazon. :)

sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='12 July 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1278980116' post='2141876']
Even though these are all Order of Preachers / Dominican women, some of the references to other orders are catholic, small c, in the most constructive possible way.
[/quote]

And here, from the same book of vocation stories, is another nice example. One of the women, when she was discerning and very young, didn't really know about Dominican cloisters, but she was fascinated with the enclosure in general and she resolved to enter a Carmel. I think her name -- under which her story is tabled -- is Sr. Maria of the Cross. It is amusing to read about this young person, racing around harassing existing Carmels because for various reasons they don't open their door and let her in when she knocks....and then she stumbles across the Rosary connection to the Dominican monastery in Summit, and it's like, WHOOPS! And then her mother says, Oh, no, not a WHITE habit, it shows the dirt.....a happy ending, anyway. I do like this little book.