An Old School Catholic Message Board

6 Week Intro To Catholicism Class

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

What would you cover in a 6 week (6 classes, 1 1/2 hours a class) summer Catholic inquiry class that was meant to lead to RCIA? What would you cover in a 6 week class for lapsed Catholics who are interested in coming back to their faith? I am teaching both this summer as part of a larger evangelization effort.

Brother Adam

yes, two different classes. I already know that the Rediscovering class will have attendants who are very angry with the Church, so I am preparing myself to lovingly listen to them, apologize for any wrong, and invite them to come back home.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

As for the lead in for RCIA, I think I would start with the creed and disect it into sections, each class talk about one section. I know when I went through RCIA, they did a great job explainng the sacraments, but I think they skipped over the foundation a little.

As for lapsed Catholics go, I think the basic idea would still work, but probably can get more in depth with it depending on how much they knew and what they were taught before they fell away from the Church. Also maybe have something set out and planned for the first session, and ask them what issues they had, or may still be lingering with the Church that led to their falling away.

just a couple quick thoughts, the concept sounds exciting.

CatherineM

When my pastor in Oklahoma did a similar class, he went down the Ten Commandments, and every line in the Nicaean Creed. If he had time, he went through the 7 deadly sins, and virtues.

Brother Adam

Thanks, those are good ideas. I have the tendency to get so excited about Catholicism that I will want to teach the entire Catholic faith in 6 weeks. I have to remember to keep it simple.

Archaeology cat

Have you looked at the [url="http://www.landings-international.org/about.ssi"]Landings [/url]material for the lapsed Catholics class? I think it usually runs 10 weeks, but it can be shorter. I personally loved the class, so much so that I was on the leadership for it the next year. :)

CatherineM

That's actually what my masters thesis is going to be on, adult education for inadequately catechized Catholics.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1544966' date='May 27 2008, 02:13 PM']What would you cover in a 6 week (6 classes, 1 1/2 hours a class) summer Catholic inquiry class that was meant to lead to RCIA? What would you cover in a 6 week class for lapsed Catholics who are interested in coming back to their faith? I am teaching both this summer as part of a larger evangelization effort.[/quote]

This is not meant to sound condescending, but maybe start basic, by teaching them the basic Catholic prayers. It is amazing how many people no longer remember the "Our Father" and "Hail Mary." Also, dissect them, so that they have meaning to them, so it is not just some prayer they rattle off, but an actual source of meditation.

Autumn Dusk

I'd focus a good portion of time on basic Q&A. Sometimes people need to have more time to get their questions answered or even know that they can ask. Many times people changing religions are panged with doubt and questions but are so consumed with fervor they forget they did have questions. And when the fervor is gone you loose 'em beucase they don't have answers they wanted.

Please include the trinity for RCIA. So many people don't really understand it. The Creed contains our beliefs so I think is a must for RCIA.
A tour of the church is really nice. A confessional, the Sacristy, etc. Things people don't always understand or rear.
Bring treats. :whistle: :whistle:

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1546068' date='May 28 2008, 11:23 AM']I'd focus a good portion of time on basic Q&A. Sometimes people need to have more time to get their questions answered or even know that they can ask. Many times people changing religions are panged with doubt and questions but are so consumed with fervor they forget they did have questions. And when the fervor is gone you loose 'em beucase they don't have answers they wanted.[/quote]

I do this in our bulletin.

Brother Adam

I'm going to have to leave so much out its going to kill me...basic is good basic is good basic is good

These are the ten parts of Jeff Cavins "Catholicism 101." I loved it!
The first chapter talks about his conversion, the Trinity as family and the background of the bible with the covenants of God.
2. Bible/Scripture/Tradition relationship.
3. Prayer
4. Sacraments.
5. Mass
6. Mary
7. The Papacy
8. Reconcilliation
9. The Liturgical Year
10. The communion of Saints, the family.

I at first thought some of this would be a waste of my time but, understanding the Papacy and Mary and the Liturgical year really helped me a lot.