An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ossuaries, The Purpose And Meaning Behind Them

Paladin D

Probally an unusual question, but I'm curious as to what the purpose and/or meaning of an Ossuary is, according to Catholic tradition.

Here's example #1: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_della_Concezione_dei_Cappucc"]Link [/url] and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt_%28Rome%29"]Link[/url]

Example #2: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary"]Link[/url]

The reason I bring this up is two fold. 1) Out of personal curiousity, and 2) if someone were to object to such a thing, what would be a legit answer in response to an accusation that this could be 'demonic', 'satanic', and/or possibly bring 'evil spirits'?

Edited by Paladin D

Archaeology cat

I'd never heard of these. I only knew about Jewish ossuaries, which are just boxes (generally of limestone, I believe). Seems interesting, but I'll reserve judgment until I learn more about them.

Edited by Archaeology cat

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1545041' date='May 27 2008, 03:20 PM']I'd never heard of these. I only knew about Jewish ossuaries, which are just boxes (generally of limestone, I believe). Seems interesting, but I'll reserve judgment until I learn more about them.[/quote]

I find the ossuaries rather unique; however, the former-Pentecostal side of me is a little cautious as to whether or not it is perfectly safe. I would assume many of these people were holy men of God (Capuchin monks), and thus, using their bones to help make a chapel for God is even a greater testament to their devotion. Though if these were all murderors, rapists, thieves, and pagans... well I wonder if by their mere remains would draw the presence of demonic spirits.

Edited by Paladin D

Galloglasses

if they were evil people it would be likely. I'm no mystic, but hanging around a 'shrine' made from the remains of evil people will attract some unsavoury spirits to say the least. Truth be told, my Irishness opposes the idea of manipulating bones to build a scruture.

CatherineM

There are places in Mexico where they do some strange things with ossuary type things and bones. Of course some people would think what they do with bodies in places like New Orleans or Key West where there is a high water table is weird. People 800-1000 years ago were much more familiar with death and bodies than we are today. It is hard to judge things from such a different culture with today's sensibilities. The Czech Republic church made me wonder if I had some relatives in there. My mom's dad's family was Czech.

White Knight

The interest and rise of this question or questions is perfectly legit to be forth, because in order to answer and respond to accusations that may be brought up by people who are curious, suspicious, or just wanting to be knowledgeable of what this is, and if its safe. this is perfectly understandable to do propose such a question or questions.

I must say if I ever visited this place then I could make a judgement call on it. looking at the pictures yes, it gives descriptions on it but it probally doesn't do it justice, compared to seeing this in person. This place probally has a feeling that pictures cannot capture.

I say it would feel like a moving experience going through such places, you probally in real life, would receive the idea of something Ancient & equally mysterious. Now as to say this is wrong or evil, demonic or satanic? I just dont know what to say about that.

1) More Information is needed.
2) Being there would be of more of a contribute to providing an "good judgement on such a vague matter."

I also choose to reserve my judgement.

Edited by White Knight