An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nba Finals Thread (celtics-lakers)

Era Might

fides quarens intellectum

good game, Boston.

what a turn-around, though - i thought LA might tie it up.

geauxsaints26

This whole thing is a setup how can the celtics and the fakers get into the finals over and over? Setup!

dominicansoul

GREAT WIN CELTS!!!

AND yes it is all fake! It's like the WWF!

There's no way the Spurs could've lost to the Lakers....absolutely no way!

At least these games are fun to watch. I'm glad San Antonio didn't get in the finals again, any series with San Antonio always turns out to be a real snoozer. Lakers have a big uphill battle now, gotta take the 3 at home and steal one in Bean town to win.

dominicansoul

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1564883' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:46 PM']At least these games are fun to watch. I'm glad San Antonio didn't get in the finals again, any series with San Antonio always turns out to be a real snoozer. Lakers have a big uphill battle now, gotta take the 3 at home and steal one in Bean town to win.[/quote]

Yeah, I've noticed not everyone cares too much for the Spurs. But when you are a big Spurs fan, just to watch our good guys get into the finals is very exciting for us, not to mention all the celebrations that go on during and after the championships. This year, we didn't get that chance, because Stern wanted to see the Lakers with the Celtics....this is why I know it's all rigged!!

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it was rigged, the Lakers beat the Spurs, no question about it... it was a decent series that LA controlled... I don't think the officiating was anything scandalous, and I watched 4 of the games.

dominicansoul

What a game! PIERCE is the new legend in Boston!!!

[quote]Pierce Locks Up Kobe, Ignites Game 4 Rally
Couper Moorhead
Celtics.com Correspondent
June 12, 2008

Sometimes, after a perfect display of why it is so often used, a cliche becomes most fitting: Defense wins championships.

The Celtics would have fallen far short of one of the greatest comebacks in NBA Finals history were it not for a multitude of timely shots, but after a 20-point third-quarter deficit the final tally reads 97-91 visitors because the Celtics got down, got gritty and stonewalled the Lakers to steal the 3-1 series lead.

The comeback was led all the way by their captain, The Truth.

With his team down 18 at the half, Paul Pierce (20 points) made a simple request to Doc Rivers: He wanted Kobe Bryant.

"Paul came to me at halftime and said, 'I want to guard Kobe. Let me guard him.'" Rivers said. "I think people will look at his offense, but I thought we won the game because Paul was a tremendous defensive player tonight."

The MVP had just three points at the break and logic said he would try and get his shot going after playing the facilitator. If the Celtics were going to have any chance, that couldn't happen. Thanks to Pierce writing an introduction for Advanced One-on-One Defense, it never would.

"Usually the first half is team ball, second half is usually Kobe takes over the games," Kevin Garnett said. "We were giving Kobe every look we've got in the book, from different matchups to trapping him to a guy on the bottom. We were just making other guys make plays."

In fact, defense had so dominated Pierce's mind that a Freudian slip in his press conference helped to illustrate the comeback all the better.

"We said coming out [for] the third quarter that regardless of what the score is, we're not going to look at the score," Pierce said. "If we go out there for the next 24 minutes and compete and not worry about the score and play like our lives defended (sic) on it, we'll have a chance."

Bryant finished the game with 17 points on 6-of-19 shooting, with Pierce hounding every dribble, every fake, every spin and every shot. The bigger (6-foot-7) forward made in clear midway through the third that Kobe wouldn't be able to post up on the wing with the same ease as he did against Allen (6-foot-5). Bryant caught the ball on the right wing and gave the usual flurry of fakes, shaking left and then spinning back right for the same fadeaway he has hit hundreds of times. This one, though, he will remember, as Pierce contested so heavily the shot fell short � 27 feet short.

The block set the tone for the next chapter in history. With 16:58 remaining in Game 4, the Lakers would score a meager 21 to the Celtics' 42. But Pierce was far from alone. Rivers unleashed his small lineup of Pierce, Allen, Posey, Eddie House and Kevin Garnett that would terrorize the Lakers until the home team fell silent. As the only big man on the court, Garnett held the paint under lock and key, encouraging first-half superstar Lamar Odom (four points in the second half) to wilt as the lead did the same, and rendering Pau Gasol (seven in the second half) as something ill-befitting an All-Star forward.

But it comes back to the man who started the swarm and has his team close enough to smell the golden trophy. No team has ever recovered from falling behind 3-1 to win the NBA Finals, and the man who took the defensive reins has no intentions of letting go.

"I want nothing more than that ring right now and I'm not going to get over-excited," Pierce.

What better way to keep himself grounded that by getting low and playing D. If the muses that created the cliche were right, it just might win him a championship.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nba.com/celtics/playoffs2008/sidebar061208-pierce-defense.html"]http://www.nba.com/celtics/playoffs2008/si...ce-defense.html[/url]

[img]http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/wallpaper_pierce_jersey1600.jpg[/img]

I think the Celtics will win the trophy, the Lakers just aren't in their game. Celtics will probally win it in Game 5.

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1572446' date='Jun 16 2008, 12:07 AM']oy. Well, game six?[/quote]
As I predicted. :)

[quote name='Era Might' post='1572453' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:11 PM']As I predicted. :)[/quote]
yes, you did. :)

just got home - up by how many? nice.

(still can't believe this thread is only 2 pages long, and tonight could end it)

dominicansoul

I guess it's 'cos there is a whole lot more scoring going on in basketball.....

There's more to watch...you know what I mean?

So, there's less time to be writing about it on Phatmass...hockey is a lot more different than b-ball! B-ball is like scores a minute, you know?

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1574537' date='Jun 17 2008, 09:53 PM']I guess it's 'cos there is a whole lot more scoring going on in basketball.....

There's more to watch...you know what I mean?

So, there's less time to be writing about it on Phatmass...hockey is a lot more different than b-ball! B-ball is like scores a minute, you know?[/quote]

but when hockey is on, there's no taking your eyes away from the screen. :) besides, a lot of the hockey discussion (at least in Open Mic) took place between the games. Sorry, i just think the PM basketball fans are not stepping up.