Rebirth flame Posted February 28, 2004 Posted February 28, 2004 I don't mean to implie that you had to feel anything from the movie, or that any one feeling is superior to any other. I'm just curious as to what other people felt emotionally after having seen The Passion of The Christ. I personally felt kinda strange inside. Mostly happy, which seemed kinda odd to me at the time, because i was expecting to be sad for causing Him so much pain. And I did feel sad during the movie when i watched Him endure all that punishment for my mistakes. But after the movie, knowing that even death couldn't keep Jesus down, knowing that His love was and still is extremely powerful, and knowing that sin has been destroyed through His sacrifice made me feel happy to the point of tears. How 'bout you guys???
Joseph Posted February 28, 2004 Posted February 28, 2004 I haven't seen it yet......but we just got the last two tickets for the 6:45 showing!! I am looking forward to it, even though I'm sure it will be hard to watch :sadder:
rachael Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 i was in shock.....total shock i cant explain it any other way
Carrie Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 It was so difficult to watch, knowing that Jesus endured all of that becasue of my sins. I was angry, I was devastated, but most of all, I came out of the movie determined to be a better Catholic. After seeing it and being able to visualize the Passion, I realized I'm not doing enough. I can be a better Catholic and I will strive to get there.
Joseph Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 I can't even describe it, but I went through a flurry of emotions watching it. I really think it was something I needed to see.
IcePrincessKRS Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 I am overwhelmed. I just got back from the movie. Just. I didn't really cry, which didn't suprise me I don't usually cry in movies or when I see things like this portraying Christ's suffering, my emotion is generally all jumbled up inside me, the sorrow and shame I feel for my part in His suffering.... I'm closer to crying now as I type than I was in the theatre. When I watched the crowds of people kick Him and yell and spit, I saw myself. When I saw the guards whip and beat Him, when they drove the nails into His Precious Body, I knew they did it because of my sins. I don't understand why Jewish people are upset over this movie, I don't see Jews crucifying Jesus when I watch it. I see ME. :(
CatholicAndFanatical Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 im with you Icey..I was sad, angry, and i dont know what else..but I see me doing that to Him, not the Jews. Its ok to cry too ya know...but dont worry, I cried enough for both of us. especially when the Blessed Mother was in the scenes and how she interacted with Christ :sadder: cant explain it, but its amesome
IcePrincessKRS Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 im with you Icey..I was sad, angry, and i dont know what else..but I see me doing that to Him, not the Jews. Its ok to cry too ya know...but dont worry, I cried enough for both of us. especially when the Blessed Mother was in the scenes and how she interacted with Christ :sadder: cant explain it, but its amesome I teared up at that part, and at one other, but never actually cried (and I wouldn't have been the only one if I had, there were people crying all around me). In a way I really did want to cry, it just wouldn't come. Somehow I still wound up with that slightly drained feeling you get after crying though. It was all so powerful (Ebert and Roepert were right about that!). It makes me wonder if I would have had the courage and faith to try and assist Jesus like Veronica, and I'd like to think that I would. But as I watched the scourging I thought of martyrdom and the thought absolutely terrified me. I would never renounce my faith, but still.... its scary, and yet Jesus went through far worse for me. :(
mulls Posted February 29, 2004 Posted February 29, 2004 happy....almost ecstatic. i was the only one in my group who had this reaction. i was getting pumped up throughout the film.....like right at the beginning when Satan was messing with Jesus, I just wanted to scream out "GO AHEAD SATAN, KEEP TRYING, BUT YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET HIM!!!" and when he fell and Mary was there and he said to her "Look, I make all things new," I wanted to scream out "THAT'S MY JESUS!!!" and when he resurrected i felt almost invincible. i'm pumped.
Rebirth flame Posted February 29, 2004 Author Posted February 29, 2004 happy....almost ecstatic. i was the only one in my group who had this reaction. i was getting pumped up throughout the film.....like right at the beginning when Satan was messing with Jesus, I just wanted to scream out "GO AHEAD SATAN, KEEP TRYING, BUT YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET HIM!!!" and when he fell and Mary was there and he said to her "Look, I make all things new," I wanted to scream out "THAT'S MY JESUS!!!" and when he resurrected i felt almost invincible. i'm pumped. Same here!!!!! i know alot of people didn't feel this way, but i was just bubbleing over with glee. it was an indescribable joy... amesome!!!!! :D
stargirl3:16 Posted March 1, 2004 Posted March 1, 2004 I just saw it last night... I was in total shock afterwards. The interesting thing is that my youth group was in shock as well. After the movie ended, we all sat there until the end of the credits, and then we left the theater in total silence. i think that was the only time my youth group was that silent.
Dave Posted March 1, 2004 Posted March 1, 2004 Although I've meditated on Jesus' suffering and death and how awful it was many times before, especially via the Sorrowful Mysteries of the rosary and the Stations of the Cross, my mind couldn't possibly have conjured up the sheer magnitude of how horrifying the scenes from it really were. I couldn't describe how I felt. During the movie, sometimes I had goosebumps, other times I teared up some, still other times I had my mouth wide open in shock. I guess you could say I felt a ton of things all rolled into one.
Lil Red Posted March 2, 2004 Posted March 2, 2004 i felt (and feel) very physically and emotionally drained.
M.SIGGA Posted March 2, 2004 Posted March 2, 2004 I was shell-shocked in the theatre but literally I broke down in the car - I talked about it in the 'broken spirit' thread. That resurection scene after the horror of the crucufixion was just so amesome and that topped it off for me - especially how the ravaged Jesus was made totally brand-new again. I felt so in love with Jesus afterwards I couldn't drive out the lot or really move. I think a big part of the emotion for a lot of people was that Our Lord was portrayed as a loveable human too, and totally as the ultimate Wonderful Counselor, and the Prince of Peace, so the injustice of the situation also had a big effect - of a totally innocent man being put on trial and tortured in a manner that would be immoral even for the most hardened criminal. With the devil screaming and St. Longinus in the blood it was too much for me to take in all at once :D
thicke Posted March 2, 2004 Posted March 2, 2004 i felt (and feel) very physically and emotionally drained. Yep. Me too. I would almost describe it as feeling numb. It's like your senses are so overpowerd, they need time to get back to normal.
Rebirth flame Posted March 2, 2004 Author Posted March 2, 2004 Yep. Me too. I would almost describe it as feeling numb. It's like your senses are so overpowerd, they need time to get back to normal. i've talked to alot of people that felt or feel that way from the movie
Cesar624 Posted March 3, 2004 Posted March 3, 2004 I COMPLETELY AGREE! The scenes with Our Blessed Mother made me cry a lot too. And after the movie, my friends and I were just silent for a while, then I broke it by saying "WOW". A movie has never left me feeling that way...maybe because it was much more than a movie. I really think God was working through Mel Gibson. It was so beautiful.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 6, 2004 Posted March 6, 2004 I feel like I just came out of a warzone - shell-shocked. We had 150 people from our Church in one section. When it was over, we just sort of sat there, like what were we supposed to do now. THe flashback to when Jesus fell as a little boy did me in. I could not watch the nails, for all the money in the world, I simply could not open my eyes. We sat in silence on the way home, and talked just a little about it today. It is still too much. I never ever want to commit a sin again. Ever. THe wages of sin is death.
luciana Posted March 6, 2004 Posted March 6, 2004 I saw it twice;The first time, at the end of the movie I went to my car, and I had a 20 min. drive ahead of me. I sat in the freezing cold car, visibly shaking, for several min. and then drove listening to some slightly meditative music, just replaying scenes in my head, esp. the scenes w/ the Blessed Mother and our Lord. Like the last few people mentioned, I was just phsically and emotionally drained as if I had been crying my eyes for hrs, which was weird cause i had only teared a little. It was such a powerful experience; experience is the word and not movie... today with Stations of the Cross w/ my student,s my eyes kept totally welling up-- which is hard since you normally can't focus like that when you're keeping an eye out for the kids. This movie is awesome :wub:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now