MissyP89 Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 [quote name='Raphael' post='1573014' date='Jun 16 2008, 05:20 PM']Awww...what's with the whole talking smack about the mods thing, huh?[/quote] Ice burn... [quote]For what it's worth, no mod would get onto you if you posted links to websites debunking Wiccanism or posted the titles of such books. It would be suggesting dangerous reading that would get you into trouble, and even then, it would probably depend more on the context and how you presented it.[/quote] If we were to link to (non-Christian) sites explaining Wiccan theology, would that be acceptable? I only ask because others can explain much better than I could. (BG: See? That's the [i]right[/i] way to talk to a mod. )
Galloglasses Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 They're pretty lenient here. Which is cool. (I can't remember how many warnings i've gotten for foul language)
Selah Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 I have some wiccan and pagan friends. A few of them, though not all, have some weird ideas of what christianity is all about. Many came out of it because of misunderstandings and such. If they had tried to find answers, I think they would have stayed.
Maria_Faustina Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 [quote name='Selah' post='1573063' date='Jun 16 2008, 06:16 PM']I have some wiccan and pagan friends. A few of them, though not all, have some weird ideas of what christianity is all about. Many came out of it because of misunderstandings and such. If they had tried to find answers, I think they would have stayed.[/quote] That's exactly how I got away. I misunderstood a lot of main things about Christianity because I refused to research anything more, because that would have led me to seeing the truth in it, and I didn't want to. Sad thing is, I knew I was doing that on purpose. This seems to be a common thing among pagans... (well, and other religions too, obviously. But just saying). Wow, how many phatmassers have practiced Wicca at some point or another?? Though I guess since we all appeared to have come back, all is good. Catherine, I hope all goes well with the daughter. Like the others said, she will probably drop it after a while. Just hopefully not too long of a while.
CatherineM Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 What we have put our heads together on for this teenage girl, is to sick our old pastor on her. He's young and cool, and is now vocations director. He has these teenage/young adult things with lots of praise music, etc. If he asks her to go, she'll jump at it, and we are hoping spending some time around kids her age, having fun, but within a church setting will get her fired up again. We would never gang up on her. Her mom is just looking for all the advice and support she can get. She's also a relatively new widow, and needs to make time for herself too.
HisChildForever Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 [quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1573073' date='Jun 16 2008, 06:29 PM']Wow, how many phatmassers have practiced Wicca at some point or another?? Though I guess since we all appeared to have come back, all is good. [/quote] Mine was definitely a pride issue - I refused to believe that the Catholic Church knew [b]everything[/b] and was silly enough to think that I knew better. [quote]That sounds like a pretty good idea[/quote]
Galloglasses Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 Most people, even Catholics, think they know better then the Catholic Church.
rckllnknny Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 [quote name='Galloglasses' post='1573034' date='Jun 16 2008, 05:38 PM']They're pretty lenient here. Which is cool. (I can't remember how many warnings i've gotten for foul language)[/quote] lol.
rckllnknny Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 [quote name='Galloglasses' post='1573164' date='Jun 16 2008, 07:52 PM']Most people, even Catholics, think they know better then the Catholic Church.[/quote] lol.
rckllnknny Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 (im not laughing AT you, btw. but it is kinda funny to me..)
JustJ Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='Alycin' post='1572464' date='Jun 16 2008, 12:17 AM']Your friend is wrong. If you go to amazon and search in the book section using the term "wiccan", lots of books there will have something to do with witchcraft. Perhaps what your friend meant to say was that wicca doesn't have to do with bubbling cauldrons and casting spells on people you don't like and stuff like that, but, it is general knowledge that wicca does involve magic. Paganism, on the other hand, is more purely "nature worship" without the voodoo and all that. If you google "wiccan supplies", stores will come up offering spell books, candles, cauldrons, alters, alter cloths, herbs with supposed "magickal" qualities... all sorts of things. Although you will run into the term "practitioner" a lot more than you will "witch"... it's all pretty much the same. Wicca has to do with magic and spells and self worship and energies and bits of paganism and... the list goes on.[/quote] This is pretty much correct. Note that a lot of teens call themselves Wiccan and really practice some form of ecclectic paganism, often referred to as "fluffy bunny wicca" by real Wiccans. Either way, it doesn't take long to figure out just by looking at it that it is so very obviously not true and is all just superstition and some myth to go along with it. [quote name='Selah' post='1573063' date='Jun 16 2008, 06:16 PM']I have some wiccan and pagan friends. A few of them, though not all, have some weird ideas of what christianity is all about. Many came out of it because of misunderstandings and such. If they had tried to find answers, I think they would have stayed.[/quote] That's probably because the majority of people I've ever known to go into Wicca, myself included (I must admit that I got caught up in it when I was really just rebelling against Christianity rather than realizing the actual fault with most religious thought in general back in my early teens), do it mostly as a way to rebel against Christianity. It doesn't take long to realize it's not working unless you're hopelessly optimistic and supremely forgiving of all the times it doesn't work. I suggest taking a logical approach to testing other religions. Do not take them on faith. Make them prove themselves superior to your current belief system. This way, the one most capable of showing itself true is the one left to believe. I always played devil's advocate when I believed because I took exceptional personal meaning from the line of scripture that says, "Test everything, and hold fast to that which is true" (1Thes 5:21). If I can challenge my beliefs, and they hold up to the scrutiny, that means that they are stronger for it. Anything that is thoroughly defeated by logical, reasonable, rational argument and evidence is hardly worth believing. So I guess I can blame Christianity for my scientific inclinations.
Saint Therese Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 I don't thinkthis is rocket science. If a "religion" doesn't foster love and discipliship of Jesus Christ, avoid it. I know people who have had lifelong mental and health problems etc from messing around with wicca like practices and other occult practices. If someone who practices wicca or whatever is not actually engaging Satan directly then he is at least opening himself up to evil influences.
Saint Therese Posted June 23, 2008 Posted June 23, 2008 (edited) Thank you. That might sound judgemental to you; I can tell you from first hand experience the literal hell this sort of thing can cause in a family. Edited June 23, 2008 by Saint Therese
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now