BlueRose Posted July 23, 2008 Posted July 23, 2008 [quote]This was not the original point of choosing a white dress - rather, it showed that the woman was wealthy enough to buy a dress that wouldn't be worn again.[/quote] YES. I was waiting for someone to point this out. Traditionally, impoverished people did not wear clothes that were solidly white because it would have become dirty through everyday life; it was not a practical color for a garment, and to purchase a dress in this color specifically for a wedding day signified wealth and status. [quote]If white has no religious meaning, then why are babies clothed in a white bapitismal garment? Why do little girls wear white for thier first holy communion? We were encouraged to wear white for our confirmation.[/quote] I think you may be taking offense to a practice that needs not be offensive in the first place. Nobody here is saying that white is NOT a symbol in the church. You're right - it is. But you seem to be missing the remarks about how the wedding gown, for whatever reason, is not included in this tradition by any official Church decree. I can understand why this might perplex you. Surely, a sacrament celebrating a blessed union should also include the traditional pure white garb, should it not? But historically it just was not done. I don't feel that brides (Catholic or otherwise, and generally speaking of course) are intentionally giving the finger to the idea of Purity by wearing colors in their dress; having a shade other than white included in the garment shouldn't, in my opinion, be viewed as a blatant disrespect to the church. I can understand your desire to keep with the tradition of white in your own wedding someday. It makes sense, because after all, we do wear white when we partake in many other sacraments. But again, as it has been mentioned before, white is not the only symbol of Christ or the things the church holds dear (i.e. blue for the blessed mother, red for Christ's sacrifice...). I feel that if the woman is including color in her white dress either as a representation of something in the church, homage to her heritage (such as the Celtic dress described above - I bet it was gorgeous!! Any pictures??), or for aesthetic purposes, then it is not in any way snubbing the church or defaming the sacrament of marriage. [quote]My deacon told me that dresses should be modest.[/quote] I totally agree. Your wedding day is a celebration of your union with the man you promise to spend the rest of your life with. Sure, you can look beautiful and princess-y - but being "sexy" should not even enter into the description!! My wedding dress is a really long, all-white gown - pretty much what you'd picture as a typical wedding dress. :]
friendofJPII Posted July 23, 2008 Author Posted July 23, 2008 [quote name='Lil Red' post='1606524' date='Jul 23 2008, 05:24 PM']+J.M.J.+ i hope men aren't wearing dresses to weddings nowadays!! that's going too far!! [/quote] I meant a man's attire.
Roamin Catholic Posted July 23, 2008 Posted July 23, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1604696' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:56 PM']How do you define tasteful, exactly? I think it is rather sad that I will have to fly to Utah to look for a dress when I get married, because almost all the dresses in stores these days are strapless/ultra-fitted/immodest or colored.[/quote] Pretty sure that you are going to find immodest dresses in Utah as well. And those dresses that you see with no straps? you can get them added and they still look decent
friendofJPII Posted July 24, 2008 Author Posted July 24, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1606658' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:31 PM']Pretty sure that you are going to find immodest dresses in Utah as well. And those dresses that you see with no straps? you can get them added and they still look decent[/quote] Many of the modest bridal stores [url="http://www.beautifullymodest.com/store/wedding-dresses/"]http://www.beautifullymodest.com/store/wedding-dresses/[/url] are based in Utah because they have a large community of Mormons. You can buy it off the internet, but who can decide on a dress w/o trying it on first? The staps David's Bridal are pathetic, thin, little peices of lace that they charge you a lot to sew on. They are not real "straps". And I would want actual (short) sleeves Edited July 24, 2008 by friendofJPII
dominicansoul Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black! But if something happens and I don't go back to the Convent... (GOD FORBID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I think I wouldn't mind getting married in blue jeans and a t-shirt...at midnite, when no -one is around but me and my boo and the Catholic priest, and my witness..... ...yup...i would elope...Catholic-style!
MissScripture Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606856' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:55 PM']Many of the modest bridal stores [url="http://www.beautifullymodest.com/store/wedding-dresses/"]http://www.beautifullymodest.com/store/wedding-dresses/[/url] are based in Utah because they have a large community of Mormons. You can buy it off the internet, but who can decide on a dress w/o trying it on first? The staps David's Bridal are pathetic, thin, little peices of lace that they charge you a lot to sew on. They are not real "straps". And I would want actual (short) sleeves[/quote] They don't charge anymore than if you took them somewhere else to be sewn on. Alterations are expensive. And why are they not real straps? And they also have actual sleeve options.
friendofJPII Posted July 24, 2008 Author Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1606870' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:04 PM']My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black! But if something happens and I don't go back to the Convent... (GOD FORBID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I think I wouldn't mind getting married in blue jeans and a t-shirt...at midnite, when no -one is around but me and my boo and the Catholic priest, and my witness..... ...yup...i would elope...Catholic-style![/quote] I still think you would need a dress of some sort. No one should enter the sacrament of marriage in jeans.
friendofJPII Posted July 24, 2008 Author Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1606872' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:05 PM']They don't charge anymore than if you took them somewhere else to be sewn on. Alterations are expensive. And why are they not real straps? And they also have actual sleeve options.[/quote] The fabric is very small and ultra-sheer.
MissScripture Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1606870' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:04 PM']My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black! But if something happens and I don't go back to the Convent... (GOD FORBID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I think I wouldn't mind getting married in blue jeans and a t-shirt...at midnite, when no -one is around but me and my boo and the Catholic priest, and my witness..... ...yup...i would elope...Catholic-style![/quote] Jason doesn't allow eloping. Just an FYI.
CatherineM Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 My husband was going to wear a kilt to our wedding, but he would have looked like Santa Claus in drag. He wore his tartan on his tie and stuff. His dad wore one though. His dad wears one everyday, so I didn't have any say in it, and he walked me down the aisle since my father is no longer with us. He has the legs for it at least.
Roamin Catholic Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 (edited) [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606856' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:55 PM']The staps David's Bridal are pathetic, thin, little peices of lace that they charge you a lot to sew on. They are not real "straps". And I would want actual (short) sleeves[/quote] I'm pretty sure there are more dress shops than just David's Bridal.... [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606878' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:08 PM']The fabric is very small and ultra-sheer.[/quote] Once again, look at another store, or have sleeves custom made.. Edited July 24, 2008 by Roamin_Catholic
MissScripture Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1606884' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:10 PM']My husband was going to wear a kilt to our wedding, but he would have looked like Santa Claus in drag. He wore his tartan on his tie and stuff. His dad wore one though. His dad wears one everyday, so I didn't have any say in it, and he walked me down the aisle since my father is no longer with us. He has the legs for it at least.[/quote] My cousin's husband wore a kilt to their wedding, as did his groomsmen. You could tell those men had never worn them before...they didn't know how to sit in skirts...
Barbarus Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1606870' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:04 PM']My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black! But if something happens and I don't go back to the Convent... (GOD FORBID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I think I wouldn't mind getting married in blue jeans and a t-shirt...at midnite, when no -one is around but me and my boo and the Catholic priest, and my witness..... ...yup...i would elope...Catholic-style![/quote] I haven't started planning in earnest yet, but I'm looking ahead to the next few months and really wishing we could elope. The only thing that makes planning a wedding worthwhile is knowing that I get to be married after the fact.
dominicansoul Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606877' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:07 PM']I still think you would need a dress of some sort. No one should enter the sacrament of marriage in jeans.[/quote] Not just any jeans, silly! "True Religion" jeans! Or maybe... Gucci's "Genius Jeans"
MissScripture Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that.
CatherineM Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 My sister in law gave me a pink flannel nighty that was 3 sizes too big for a wedding present. I guess that was what she was hoping I was going to wear after the wedding.
dominicansoul Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1606952' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:13 PM']I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that. [/quote] You've got a point there!
Roamin Catholic Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1606952' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:13 PM']I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that. [/quote] what is this later part that you speak of
MissScripture Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1606976' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:28 PM']what is this later part that you speak of [/quote] Gooberhead! Won't you be surprised?
BlueRose Posted July 24, 2008 Posted July 24, 2008 [quote name='Barbarus' post='1606911' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:36 PM']I haven't started planning in earnest yet, but I'm looking ahead to the next few months and really wishing we could elope. The only thing that makes planning a wedding worthwhile is knowing that I get to be married after the fact.[/quote] When's your date?? I totally know how you feel. Planning is so overwhelming!! I don't want to throw advice at you un-prompted, but if you want any tidbits and pointers I'd be happy to talk Wedding with you!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now