An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary

awyers

Has anyone ever visited [url="http://www.benedictinesofmary.org/"]this[/url] community or know anything about them?? I thought they were cloistered but it says they went to Turkey and Quebec.

Thanks!

tinytherese

Do you mean the Benedictines of Mary Queen of Ephesis in Kansas City, MO? Their cloistered and tend to priests through making vestments for them and offering them a place to stay for rest and or private retreat. I discerned with them last year and if you're into Benedictine sprituality and a traditional mass community that's in good standing with the church, then check them out. Their making plans for a new house in the country at some point. They need lots of donations!

Thomist-in-Training

Well, the most recent newsletter says this:

"Although not under papal enclosure due to our limited apostolate for the support of priests, we remain within the cloister of our Priory for all else, excepting necessary appointments and shopping, until we are settled and have built up an auxiliary band of Oblates to take care of temporal necessities for us."

So that sounds like if they all agreed on it, they could go on a pilgrimage or something; and I don't think the Benedictines have ever had the same understanding of enclosure as, say, the Poor Clares... correct me someone please though, I am not sure...

Where does it say about their trips?

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1610186' date='Jul 27 2008, 06:01 PM']I don't think the Benedictines have ever had the same understanding of enclosure as, say, the Poor Clares... correct me someone please though, I am not sure...[/quote]
I believe it's that Benedictine Nuns are under Constitutional Enclosure, or Enclosure according to the Constitutions, while nuns within Orders like the Carmelites or the Poor Clares are under Papal Enclosure. I think Benedictine Nuns are usually or always under Constitutional Enclosure because of the tradition of hospitality in their Order, even though only a couple of the nuns may be involved in assisting guests.

From [b][i]Verbi Sponsa[/i][/b]:

[quote][size=3][font="Book Antiqua"]Enclosure according to the Constitutions

12. Monasteries of nuns who profess the contemplative life but associate some work of the apostolate or charity to the primary purpose of divine worship do not follow papal enclosure.

Such monasteries carefully preserve their principal or predominant character of contemplation by engaging chiefly in prayer, asceticism and fervent spiritual progress, in the careful celebration of the liturgy, in the observance of their rule and in the discipline of separation from the world. They define in their Constitutions an enclosure befitting their specific character and in accordance with sound traditions. (62)

The Superior can give permission to enter or leave the enclosure in accordance with the Institute's particular law.

Monasteries of nuns belonging to the ancient monastic tradition

13. Monasteries of nuns belonging to the venerable monastic tradition, (63) expressed in the various forms of the contemplative life, when they are entirely devoted to divine worship and live a hidden life within the walls of the monastery, observe papal enclosure; if other activities of service to the People of God are associated with the contemplative life, [u]or if they practice more extensive forms of hospitality in fidelity to the tradition of their Order, their enclosure is defined in their Constitutions.[/u] (64)

Every monastery or monastic Congregation either follows papal enclosure or defines its own enclosure in its Constitutions, with respect for its specific character.[/size][/font][/quote]
[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccscrlife/documents/rc_con_ccscrlife_doc_13051999_verbi-sponsa_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congrega...-sponsa_en.html[/url]

Edited by Margaret Clare

Thanks for clearing up my confusion! I should have read through their newsletters before asking :)

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Benedictines at the St. Emma Monastery (PA), St. Walburga (CO) Abbey, or the Monastery of the Immaculate Heart (VT)?

With all my Dominican and Carmelite searching I figured I should investigate Benedictine spirituality too!

Pax :)

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1610198' date='Jul 27 2008, 07:21 PM']I believe it's that Benedictine Nuns are under Constitutional Enclosure, or Enclosure according to the Constitutions, while nuns within Orders like the Carmelites or the Poor Clares are under Papal Enclosure. I think Benedictine Nuns are usually or always under Constitutional Enclosure because of the tradition of hospitality in their Order, even though only a couple of the nuns may be involved in assisting guests.

From [b][i]Verbi Sponsa[/i][/b]:
[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccscrlife/documents/rc_con_ccscrlife_doc_13051999_verbi-sponsa_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congrega...-sponsa_en.html[/url][/quote]

That's not quite true, often Benedictines are under Papal enclosure - we are at Colwich and so are others. It is not breaking papal enclosure for a few allocated sisters to care for guests. Our Enclosure is under the same terms as the Poor Clares and Carmelites though I think their constitutions make some things stricter - such as the height of enclosure walls and they usually keep the grilles. pax

VeniteAdoremus

Yes, the nuns at Stanbrook have papal enclosure, too (or at least, had - PP, do you know?). I remember Sr. Julian us about it. (Once upon a time the abbess had to write to Rome for permission to visit her sick mother in the monastery guest house. But this might have been pre-VCII.)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1610512' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:29 PM']Yes, the nuns at Stanbrook have papal enclosure, too (or at least, had - PP, do you know?). I remember Sr. Julian us about it. (Once upon a time the abbess had to write to Rome for permission to visit her sick mother in the monastery guest house. But this might have been pre-VCII.)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure (Sr. Marie-Therese or DigitalDame will know more) that all the EBC (English Benedictine Congregation) nuns are under Papal Enclosure.

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1610311' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:15 PM']Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Benedictines at the St. Emma Monastery (PA), St. Walburga (CO) Abbey, or the Monastery of the Immaculate Heart (VT)?

With all my Dominican and Carmelite searching I figured I should investigate Benedictine spirituality too!

Pax :)[/quote]

I don't have any direct experience of the Benedictine communities you mention, but I know a little about St. Emma Monastery. I grew up in a nearby town and I do know that they support themselves with a well established retreat ministry. They do not give the retreats, but rather have the day to day responsibility for the facilities, and providing hospitality to the retreatants, while living a full monastic life under constitutional enclosure. They sponsor reliable, solid, well balanced retreats, no flaky stuff. Because of their commitment to hospitality, they do have regular contact with their retreatants--if you go to the website, you might still find pictures of the sisters serving meals and pouring coffee at the retreats. They rely on their relationship with the lay community to help support their retreat house. They wear a traditional full habit; at one point, they were accepting "mature vocations" but I believe lately they have set an upper age limit of 40. I believe they enjoy a good relationship with the Benedictines at St. Vincent Archabbey nearby, and in recent years have built a beautiful new chapel. They welcome the public to their Liturgy of the Hours. Maybe Br. Gabriel from SVA who posts here can add or correct anything I've written here. They would be worth your time if you were interested in Benedictine monastic life. God bless!

The OSB Monastery of St. Walburga in northern Colorado on the Wyoming border is flourishing. I think that they have a relatively young age cut-off. there are very busy and physically active. They farm, raise cattle, do a lot outdoors in a very harsh climate, and have retreats. I believe that they do mention an ability to be physically active in their requirements. They observe the full office.

The Monastery of the Immaculate Heart in VT is affiliated with Solemses and sings most or all of the office in Latin in Gregorian chant. That’s their thing. They have a very nice website, but don’t have news of the community.

Chant is also the work of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem, CT and Petersham MA nuns. All of the above wear the traditional Benedictine black on white habit. The nuns at Regina Laudis are often highly educated, former professionals, in the Benedictine tradition. They have always flourished, with a large group in formation. Petersham is smaller, with 9 professed nuns.

The nuns at Our Lady of the Rock monastery on Shaw Island, Washington state, aren’t mentioned here much. I think that they were founded by Regina Laudis. They also chant the entire office in Latin, using Gregorian chant, and wear a full habit. They raise sheep and cattle.

Thanks for the info stlmom. I was speaking to Mother and apparently they cannot accept non-American vocations but I will check into those other communities mentioned. Thanks for all the info everyone :)

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1611531' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:22 PM']Thanks for the info stlmom. I was speaking to Mother and apparently they cannot accept non-American vocations but I will check into those other communities mentioned. Thanks for all the info everyone :)[/quote]

...and let us know. I am surprised re St. Emma's. I infer that you're from Canada. Not accepting Canadians is certainly not a Benedictine thing--Staretz (Duncan) is from Canada and was accepted into Christ in the Desert last year and is there now.

As the monasteries I mentioned are near Canada, you'd think that they'd receive inquiries from Canada!

Also:

Petersham needs vocations. Walburga has a number of sisters [i]from Canada[/i], apparently encouraged by a Benedictine spiritual director up there.
I would be amazed if all of Regina Laudis are from the US. Their Benedictine branch originated in France.

Maybe EJames knows something about this.

Have you looked in Canada?

To follow up on Jkaands suggestion that you explore Canadian monasteries, here is a link from the Benedictine (worldwide) web page that shows all of their houses in Canada. Note that some are marked "Nuns" and some are marked "Sisters" - I guess that indicates which are the purely contemplative form of life and which are more active. You can click on the name of the house to see how many people live there, to get their mailing addresses, and most of them have e-mail & website hyperlinks (on the right, near the top of the page).

If you are NOT from Canada, you can still enter a country in the search box and find listings for Benedictine monasteries in any country on earth.

Ora et labora!