An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wedding Photos

BlueRose

What are the rules regarding photographs being taken inside a church during a wedding ceremony? I have a lot of friends who've gotten married recently and they seem to have a handful of ceremony pics that seem to be taken by folks other than the photographer. I'm wondering what the official "rule" is about this. I mean, is it inappropriate or okay?

We're having a basic ceremony in the Catholic Church where I grew up. We are not having a full mass, in case the answer depends on this fact.

I worked for a wedding photographer in college. It is really up to the priest as to when and where you can take pictures. It is hard to keep audience people from taking them, and it is mostly the wedding photographer that objects to that. The more regular people taking photos, the fewer wedding pictures that get purchased. We would have this window of time after everyone leaves the church to bring the wedding party back into the church quietly to get the formal pictures taken. I hated it when someone snuck in and took pictures behind me. I knew that would cost me money.

Years later, at family weddings, I was that person that snuck in, and that way the extended family could have some decent formal shots without paying $5/pictures. The cost of the photographer being there often only includes a certain number of pictures. The extras are what will break your budget.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1610240' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:20 PM']I worked for a wedding photographer in college. It is really up to the priest as to when and where you can take pictures. It is hard to keep audience people from taking them, and it is mostly the wedding photographer that objects to that. The more regular people taking photos, the fewer wedding pictures that get purchased. We would have this window of time after everyone leaves the church to bring the wedding party back into the church quietly to get the formal pictures taken. I hated it when someone snuck in and took pictures behind me. I knew that would cost me money.

Years later, at family weddings, I was that person that snuck in, and that way the extended family could have some decent formal shots without paying $5/pictures. The cost of the photographer being there often only includes a certain number of pictures. The extras are what will break your budget.[/quote]

Soooo.... which way are you voting?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1610240' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:20 PM']The cost of the photographer being there often only includes a certain number of pictures. The extras are what will break your budget.[/quote]

Our photography package includes all photos taken. The woman explained that she always over-shoots, and always includes every photo with the price. Thanks for the tip, though!

Edited by BlueRose

Proud2BCatholic139

I thought there were only certain parts of the ceremony that you can.
But, it is up to the priest. One nuptual Mass I attended last October, the priest said no photography during Mass. But, I believe he was talking to the congregation, not the wedding photographer. Of course, there were certain parts that were taken...but when the priest is celebrating Mass, none were taken by the congregation...

I hope that makes sense?

let_go_let_God

Usually it is up to the priest. The rule I hear most often is that the priests don't want flashes. It is also up to the policy of the parish as well.

God bless-
LGLG

IcePrincessKRS

We had pictures taken by congregation and the professional photographer through the ceremony. Probably the only time there weren't any taken was during the actual Mass prayers. There were just a few taken during the readings and homily, but most of the ceremony pictures were taken during the exchange of vows.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1610343' date='Jul 28 2008, 03:46 AM']We had pictures taken by congregation and the professional photographer through the ceremony. Probably the only time there weren't any taken was during the actual Mass prayers. There were just a few taken during the readings and homily, but most of the ceremony pictures were taken during the exchange of vows.[/quote]
Same here. My brother did the second reading, and got blinded by the flash, though. So the picture of him doing the reading is kinda funny. :lol:

Edited by Archaeology cat

At my wedding the Diocese did not allow any photographers standing behind or near the Altar. Photography had to be at the bottom of the steps and no way past the Altar for both our photographer and videographer. My wife and I did a red rose devotion to Mary and they were allowd to follow us through the church.

Interesting story, the church had burned down a few years earlier and the only thing left standing unscathed in the middle of all the rubble was the statue of the Blessed Mother so it is tradition in that church for married couples to present Mary with a rose during the Mass. Quite beautiful.

They even allowed us to play the traditional, however secular, Wedding March or whatever the name of it is. Father Mooney was impressesd with our choice of readings more specifically Christ's message about divorce and marriage which I am too lazy to find the exact passage number right now. Apparantly that was not a popluar one in Southern California.

Funny that I talk about this because our 10 year anniversary was last Friday. I have been truly blessed.

Edited by socalscout

Hugheyforlife ^_^ took the wedding photos at mine and Micah's wedding. She did a wonderful job and I didn't even notice her taking pictures during the Mass, but she was.

I don't see a problem with pictures being taken during the ceremony as long as the photographer is discreet about it and not shoving a camera all up in your face and of course as long as the Priest is not bothered by the camera. I would say not to take pictures during the Liturgy of the Eucharist or if you do I would do so without a flash.

lol nice candid photo during the ceremony. I love the look on Micah's face!

One last thing on photos. Computer programs change over time. Color negatives/photos fade with time. For the sake of your grandchildren, take at least one good photo every few years, on film, in black and white. Those will last for generations even if every digital photo gets erased in some kind of electro-magnetic accident. I have color photos of my family from the 60's that are faded to almost nothing, but black and whites from the 1800's that look as good today as when they were first shot.

homeschoolmom

Yeah, my mom's wedding photos (from '57) are almost all in color and my aunt's bridesmaid dress is green... it was really blue.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1610607' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:26 PM']One last thing on photos. Computer programs change over time. Color negatives/photos fade with time. For the sake of your grandchildren, take at least one good photo every few years, on film, in black and white. Those will last for generations even if every digital photo gets erased in some kind of electro-magnetic accident. I have color photos of my family from the 60's that are faded to almost nothing, but black and whites from the 1800's that look as good today as when they were first shot.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip ^_^ Micah and I don't have any of ours actually printed yet. I've only seen about 70 of the over 1000 pictures that were taken lol It's hard to schedule our time available with Hughey's time available to go through all the pictures.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1610607' date='Jul 28 2008, 01:26 PM']One last thing on photos. Computer programs change over time. Color negatives/photos fade with time. For the sake of your grandchildren, take at least one good photo every few years, on film, in black and white. Those will last for generations even if every digital photo gets erased in some kind of electro-magnetic accident. I have color photos of my family from the 60's that are faded to almost nothing, but black and whites from the 1800's that look as good today as when they were first shot.[/quote]

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing.