An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pro-lifers Arrested! My Friends Were All Arrested For Doing Pro-l

TeresaBenedicta

Wow! That is ridiculous... I will certainly be praying for them and for all the unborn victims.

Edited by doe-jo

CatholicCid

[quote name='kujo' post='1616204' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:54 PM']Wow!

I wouldn't worry. If they have all of this on tape, including the violation of their Miranda rights, the charges will be dropped. It wouldn't take a lawyer...heck, I could represent them with my pre-law experience.

I'll pray though. Try to stay positive.[/quote]

Unless they were going to be interrogated, I don't think they would have to read them their Miranda rights.

I'd guess that, especially with video tape, they'll try and quiet this all up to try and avoid lawsuits for unlawful arrests.

Edited by CatholicCid

You are required to give Miranda warnings at anytime that a person is "in custody." That can mean everything from arrested in cuffs to just standing next to a policeman being told you need to stand there while they sort things out. It's not actually a law, so if a policeman doesn't issue you a Miranda warning, they aren't really in trouble. They just can't use what you might tell them against you. Some of it depends on the local police rules/policies. In some jurisdictions, street cops never give warnings, they just put you in the patrol car, tell you to keep quiet, and then turn you over to detectives at the station who take care of having you sign the waver. Some jurisdictions do that so that all statements can be made on tape, after getting signed wavers.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1616213' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:59 PM']Those were must definitely unlawful arrests. That officer might not have a job after this incident. At the very least, he'll be stuck behind a desk for the rest of his career, provided of course, that the rest of the system isn't as biased as he is.

Also...does anyone know - if they don't tell you why you're being arrested, don't you have the legal right to resist?[/quote]

I hate to have to tell you this, but the police do this stuff all the time. Nothing will happen to that officer. Charges will most likely be dropped after you go to all kinds of hassle. They like to do that.
I think all should be glad that the police now don't usually beat you or hose you or sic dogs on you if they want you to move along and you don't.

I will pray that those who were arrested will not let them stop their continued involvement. Our world so badly needs people willing to put themselves out there to stop abortion. Prayers all around.