Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I recently clicked on a thread and was thrown back in time by the last read post feature. I saw one of the melodramatic "last post" comments, and it got me to thinking.

It gets attention, the old "last post" threat. It gets people all in a tizzy. It recently happened on another forum I'm on because a guy got a bad reaction from one person. The guy leaving was supposedly an adult, but expected that the internet was some kind of magical place wherein human nature ceased to exist.

But he also craved the attention. I reckon we all do, to an extent. That's why we announce to the world that we are leaving our last post. That and vindictiveness--it inevitably starts finger pointing, chest beating and witch hunts. It gives a sense of justice, all the chaos as people have conniptions that someone is leaving a site because--horror of horrors-they were offended.

Don't get me wrong. I think if you find a particular gathering not to your taste, it only makes sense to leave. That's wisdom. But the melodrama of announcing it...my daughter does that sort of thing. She's five.

"But Winnie," some will say (well, maybe not.) "Maybe they think it will improve things if they show how terrible things have gotten."

To which I respond: "Excrement."

Do you really imagine that your announcement that you are leaving because so and so is a meany pants is really going to turn the tide of a culture? Even a small example of it, like this site? It will result in a skirmish, maybe some crack downs on the meany pantses and some Italian widow throwing herself on the coffin dramatics.

But in a month, you will be the goofy queen who announced you were leaving, hiked up her skirts and flounced out of the room, leaving the cloying scent of your cheap perfume.

Cry me a river. Cry me an ocean. But for the love of Mr. Toad's waistcoat, spare me your temper tantrum.

homeschoolmom
Posted

That's it. I'm leaving. <_<

Posted (edited)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1618114' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:43 PM']That's it. I'm leaving. <_<[/quote]
Can I come with?

Edited by rachael
Posted (edited)

Some people go to forums just to create drama, and then when people call them out on it and ignore them they get all offended and leave. You're 100% correct. They're goofy little queens with cheap perfume.

Edited by Justin86
Posted

I hate cheap perfume. Buy the real stuff or don't wear any.

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1618114' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:43 PM']That's it. I'm leaving. <_<[/quote]
I'm sick of people like you whining and leaving in a huff. Because of that, I'm leaving too. <_<



:ninja:

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

That's it. I've had enough. This is the end for me.

<_<
















:))

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='XIX' post='1618129' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:53 PM']I'm sick of people like you whining and leaving in a huff. Because of that, I'm leaving too. <_<
:ninja:[/quote]
Wha? You don't like my perfume?

Posted

I've had it with the spats and squabbles!!! I'm leaving!

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' post='1618102' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:37 AM']I recently clicked on a thread and was thrown back in time by the last read post feature. I saw one of the melodramatic "last post" comments, and it got me to thinking.

It gets attention, the old "last post" threat. It gets people all in a tizzy. It recently happened on another forum I'm on because a guy got a bad reaction from one person. The guy leaving was supposedly an adult, but expected that the internet was some kind of magical place wherein human nature ceased to exist.

But he also craved the attention. I reckon we all do, to an extent. That's why we announce to the world that we are leaving our last post. That and vindictiveness--it inevitably starts finger pointing, chest beating and witch hunts. It gives a sense of justice, all the chaos as people have conniptions that someone is leaving a site because--horror of horrors-they were offended.

Don't get me wrong. I think if you find a particular gathering not to your taste, it only makes sense to leave. That's wisdom. But the melodrama of announcing it...my daughter does that sort of thing. She's five.

"But Winnie," some will say (well, maybe not.) "Maybe they think it will improve things if they show how terrible things have gotten."

To which I respond: "Excrement."

Do you really imagine that your announcement that you are leaving because so and so is a meany pants is really going to turn the tide of a culture? Even a small example of it, like this site? It will result in a skirmish, maybe some crack downs on the meany pantses and some Italian widow throwing herself on the coffin dramatics.

But in a month, you will be the goofy queen who announced you were leaving, hiked up her skirts and flounced out of the room, leaving the cloying scent of your cheap perfume.

Cry me a river. Cry me an ocean. But for the love of Mr. Toad's waistcoat, spare me your temper tantrum.[/quote]


:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

[size=4]HERE! HERE!!!![/size]

Posted (edited)

Everyone is ignoring my post in this topic! How [i]daaaaaare youuuuu[/i] I am leaving phatmass!

*sprays cheap perfume*

Edited by Justin86
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1618133' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:55 PM']Wha? You don't like my perfume?[/quote]
Speaking of perfumes, I've found a new one I really like. :))

Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1618141' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:56 AM']Everyone is ignoring my post in this topic! How [i]daaaaaare youuuuu[/i] I am leaving phatmass!

*sprays cheap perfume*[/quote]


:rolling:



That was funny. But beware of my numchucks. :numchucks:

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1618133' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:55 PM']Wha? You don't like my perfume?[/quote]
You put on so much, I can smell it from almost 100 feet away!!1

Time for me to make like a tree, and get outta here.




PS: I love how 5 different people are making variation of the same ironic/lame joke. :))

Posted

Numchucks are useless against cheap perfume in your face. The smell knocks you over and renders you useless.

Posted

[quote name='XIX' post='1618154' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:00 AM']You put on so much, I can smell it from almost 100 feet away!!1

Time for me to make like a tree, and get outta here.




PS: I love how 5 different people are making variation of the same ironic/lame joke. :))[/quote]
What do you expect. THIS IS PHATMASS.

Posted

Not if I have been trained in the Martial Arts ways to become immune to cheap perfume. I can use the Force to block it off, if all else fails.

Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1618155' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:01 PM']Numchucks are useless against cheap perfume in your face. The smell knocks you over and renders you useless.[/quote]


Nothing can fight a cheap perfume. The stench hangs in your nose for hours. Your eyes water and your nose ears bleed. Sometimes, your hair falls out.

Hey, why aren't we using this as a weapon in the military?

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

STOP IT!!! ALL OF YOU!!



:spanking:




lame. :))

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...