An Old School Catholic Message Board

Russia Goes To War...

Lounge Daddy

THere are a huge number of ethnic Russians in the disputed area. The Russian intervention could be to prevent more genocide / ethnic cleansing / forced removals that have plauged this region and the Balkans. If there were significant numbers of Americans in a neighbouring country being repressed and victimised it is quite likely the USA would intervene. We have all sat back too long and allowed genocide to occur before we have bothered to do anything. It would make a change if we tried to prvent such things rather than allow another Rwanda where 800,000 people were systematically murdered in 100 days, or another Bosnia or Darfur - the list is endless.

Lounge Daddy

[b]Day two:[/b]
[url="http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9618164.htm"]
WAR: Russian jets targeted major oil pipeline...
[/url]
[url="http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080809/D92EPSC80.html"]Troops raid Georgian town; scores dead...[/url]
[url="http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080809/D92EOHQ00.html"]
New air attacks at military bases...[/url]

[url="http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9197241.htm"]'Dangerous escalation'...[/url]

Edited by Lounge Daddy

I find it interesting that Russia picked the time of the Olympics to do this. They don't want the attention, obviously.

Madame Vengier

Can anyone explain who these "ethnic" people are? Are they Muslims?? I am afraid of that. I'm afraid of another Kosovo-Serb-Bosnia thing. I am sincerely hoping these are not Muslims. This whole thing is a mess. A lot of people (on the blogs that I read) saw something coming with Putin for a long time. He's not called the Iron Man for nothing. He is a throwback to Russia's red days.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Winchester' post='1621822' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:38 PM']That's a common misconception. It was actually named by colonial football coaches. When you didn't do good during practice or a game, you were sent to Mary-land and you had to wear a dress.

Eventually, the original exiles from there moved west.

To San Francisco.[/quote]

You're bad. :sweat:

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1622519' date='Aug 9 2008, 11:19 AM']Can anyone explain who these "ethnic" people are? Are they Muslims?? I am afraid of that. I'm afraid of another Kosovo-Serb-Bosnia thing. I am sincerely hoping these are not Muslims. This whole thing is a mess. A lot of people (on the blogs that I read) saw something coming with Putin for a long time. He's not called the Iron Man for nothing. He is a throwback to Russia's red days.[/quote]

I asked the cultural geographer I live with about the ethnic stuff in Georgia. He said they are Christian, 80% affiliated with Georgian Orthodox which is Eastern Orthodox not Russian. It was one of the first countries to adopt Christianity as the official state religion. Russians are only about 1% of the population. They actually have a large Jewish population that is one of the oldest in the world. He said he thought Muslims were less than 10% of the population.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1622542' date='Aug 9 2008, 11:38 AM']I asked the cultural geographer I live with about the ethnic stuff in Georgia. He said they are Christian, 80% affiliated with Georgian Orthodox which is Eastern Orthodox not Russian. It was one of the first countries to adopt Christianity as the official state religion. Russians are only about 1% of the population. They actually have a large Jewish population that is one of the oldest in the world. He said he thought Muslims were less than 10% of the population.[/quote]

So who are these "ethnic" people?? Religion and ethnicity are not the same.

I think they are basically saying they are going in there to protect ethnic Russians from ethnic Georgians.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1622629' date='Aug 9 2008, 01:11 PM']I think they are basically saying they are going in there to protect ethnic Russians from ethnic Georgians.[/quote]

Ohhhhhhhh, I see. Duh. This was all just going over my head. B/c I know nothing of Georgia.