An Old School Catholic Message Board

Little Nuns?.

ruso

For one thing, we have studied the Orthodox church in russia.
It is clear that communism is not got away with our brothers :)) .

Instead I was surprised to see photos like this in some convents.

[img]http://www.new.mmom.ru/media/Image/KOR_5680.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.new.mmom.ru/media/Image/KOR_5697.jpg[/img]

Girls with gray habit and white veil, live in the convent and are not disguised.
As I do not know the Russian language, to find out later that were there.

You know that living in the convent these kids?. The answer is easy.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1625598' date='Aug 13 2008, 02:53 AM']I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...[/quote]

My first impression, when i saw these photos of the girls, was the thinking that preparing to be nuns.
At investigate, I saw that was wrong, they're in the convent for other reasons.
These girls are orphans or their parents can not take care of them, alcoholism, drug addiction or other problems.
Fortunately, in our country governments can deal with these cases, but in Russia there are no resources, many convents in Russia, hosting the boys to help them, it is estimated that in Russia there are about 700000 children orphaned or abandoned, only half are cared properly.

Edited by ruso

Roseoftherese

[quote name='ruso' post='1625596' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:45 PM']For one thing, we have studied the Orthodox church in russia.
It is clear that communism is not got away with our brothers :)) .

Instead I was surprised to see photos like this in some convents.

[img]http://www.new.mmom.ru/media/Image/KOR_5680.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.new.mmom.ru/media/Image/KOR_5697.jpg[/img]

Girls with gray habit and white veil, live in the convent and are not disguised.
As I do not know the Russian language, to find out later that were there.

You know that living in the convent these kids?. The answer is easy.[/quote]

Is the orthodox church in Russia in communion with the Pope? If not, are there many Catholics in Russia?

The Orthodox and catholic Byzantine, but mostly Orthodox 'Convents' in Russia and Ukraine do just this, take in orphan, wayward, abandoned dirt poor etc., girls, which are numerous, or girls form terrible home lives , and they live as what a Western Latin may understand as a child 'Oblate' hence the dress.
some stay and become nuns of course.
PAX
oh, and the [b]Roman[/b] Catholic Church in Russia is very small, but very much alive there, even with a Seminary, the Byzantine-Eastern Catholic Church in Russia is larger, but most numerous in Ukraine, with some Monasteries and convents s well, which i had the privilege of visiting on my travels.

Edited by EJames2

[quote name='Roseoftherese' post='1627245' date='Aug 14 2008, 06:07 PM']Is the orthodox church in Russia in communion with the Pope? If not, are there many Catholics in Russia?[/quote]

No, the Orthodox Church is not in communion with the Holy Father. There are very few Catholics in Russia; I recall during Soviet days there was exactly ONE legal Catholic church in the entire country.

Edited by Maggie

[quote name='Roseoftherese' post='1627245' date='Aug 15 2008, 12:07 AM']Is the orthodox church in Russia in communion with the Pope? If not, are there many Catholics in Russia?[/quote]
In Russia have a 600000 Catholics, Romans and Bizantines, the Orthodox Church isn't in communion with Rome, but relations is better.

VeniteAdoremus

The Russian Orthodox Church is, I think, the biggest of the Orthodox churches.

To make it easy for us there's also the Greek Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic (in communion with Rome) and many others :)

The Russion Orthodox are headed by the Patriarch of Moscow.

Oh, and we're in schism with them because they think the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and we we think it's from the Father and the Son (that's why we say that in the creed). I haven't studied it - apparently it's important enough for a schism (well, that, and politics).

They have a beautiful, very rich liturgy. (One of the churches I sometimes sing in share with the Syrian Orthodox, that's how I got the chance to observe it. Even though my Syrian is a bit rusty, it was a beautiful thing to witness.)

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1628682' date='Aug 16 2008, 05:18 PM']Oh, and we're in schism with them because they think the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and we we think it's from the Father and the Son (that's why we say that in the creed). I haven't studied it - apparently it's important enough for a schism (well, that, and politics).[/quote]
Yeah, assuming that all the translations of Greek to Latin and vice versa were accurate that would be the difference.

Personally, I think the schism had more to do with the politics of the time than with anything else. We just haven't gotten over it yet.

DominicanPhilosophy

The Roman Catholic Church is made up of one Western church [the Latin Rite] and 20+ Eastern Catholic churches << they recognize the role of the pope as Bishop of Rome and his leadership of the Church on earth.

The Eastern Orthodox Church (Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, etc. - this only signifies what language is spoken) is schismatic because it is their belief that the Bishop of Rome, our pope, is only the bishop of Rome, of that diocese, and nothing more. Also, the Filioque (who proceeds from the Father *and the Son*) of the Nicene Creed was a point of conflict. The Eastern Orthodox Church chose to venerate icons. I believe that the EOC is not as strict about it being unleavened bread used for the Eucharist.

:idontknow:

VeniteAdoremus

No, as far as I know they use leavened bread. With all kinds of patterns baked into it. It's fascinating.