An Old School Catholic Message Board

King Tut *da Da Dada*

Ash Wednesday

Archaeology cat

Awesome, Ash. :) I saw the exhibit in Fort Lauderdale. It's in the O2 arena, and not the BM, right?

Just be aware, that although it says it's a Tutankhamun exhibit, there are only about 5-6 things actually from his tomb. The majority of the artefacts are from Akhenaten, Amunhotep III, maybe a Thutmosis or two. And Zahi doesn't allow the mask out of Egypt, unless he changed his mind at the last minute. Maybe it's payback for only getting a foam copy of the Rosetta stone for the new Cairo museum (it is a very good copy, though) . . . Or for Berlin not allowing the Nefertiti bust out of Germany.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1629191' date='Aug 17 2008, 01:32 AM']I too, am a fan of anything Egypt history and especially Tut. I so wanted to see the exhibit when it was in Philly, but was unable to. Please post some photos, would love to hear all about it!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
I don't think any pictures are allowed in the exhibit. At least, cameras weren't allowed at it in Fort Lauderdale, unfortunately.

Oh, anyone following the DNA testing being done on the mummified babies in Tutankhamun's tomb?

Zahi Hawass is the real power in Egypt. They should just make him president.

Edited by CatherineM

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1629561' date='Aug 17 2008, 04:15 PM']Zahi Hawass is the real power in Egypt. They should just make him president.[/quote]
Yeah, we usually have some choice comments regarding Zahi whenever there are discussions about conferences in Egyptology.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1629478' date='Aug 17 2008, 03:26 AM']Awesome, Ash. :) I saw the exhibit in Fort Lauderdale. It's in the O2 arena, and not the BM, right?

Just be aware, that although it says it's a Tutankhamun exhibit, there are only about 5-6 things actually from his tomb. The majority of the artefacts are from Akhenaten, Amunhotep III, maybe a Thutmosis or two. And Zahi doesn't allow the mask out of Egypt, unless he changed his mind at the last minute. Maybe it's payback for only getting a foam copy of the Rosetta stone for the new Cairo museum (it is a very good copy, though) . . . Or for Berlin not allowing the Nefertiti bust out of Germany.

I don't think any pictures are allowed in the exhibit. At least, cameras weren't allowed at it in Fort Lauderdale, unfortunately.

Oh, anyone following the DNA testing being done on the mummified babies in Tutankhamun's tomb?[/quote]
Hehe, selfishly, I'm glad he only got a foam copy. :D Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see and take pictures of it. ;)
Pics were allowed at the British museum, but I wonder if Europeans have a different attitude towards that... I mean, they had mummies and sarcophagi and literally almost everything just out in the open. Priceless treasures, and only a few were behind glass. It was rather disconcerting to me. :D

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1630264' date='Aug 17 2008, 11:10 PM']Hehe, selfishly, I'm glad he only got a foam copy. :D Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see and take pictures of it. ;)
Pics were allowed at the British museum, but I wonder if Europeans have a different attitude towards that... I mean, they had mummies and sarcophagi and literally almost everything just out in the open. Priceless treasures, and only a few were behind glass. It was rather disconcerting to me. :D[/quote]
Ooh, uh... Not to offend anyone from the UK, of course. I've heard some people over there get uptight if you say that the UK is 'Europe'. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1630264' date='Aug 18 2008, 05:10 AM']Hehe, selfishly, I'm glad he only got a foam copy. :D Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see and take pictures of it. ;)
Pics were allowed at the British museum, but I wonder if Europeans have a different attitude towards that... I mean, they had mummies and sarcophagi and literally almost everything just out in the open. Priceless treasures, and only a few were behind glass. It was rather disconcerting to me. :D[/quote]
Oh yes, pics are allowed in the BM, but not at the Tutankhamun exhibit (which isn't at the BM, I don't think). I prefer if people don't use a flash when taking pictures at museums, personally. BTW, only about 10% of the Egyptian artefacts owned by the BM are on display, with the rest in the basement. I went on a tour of the basement with my MA class. :))

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1629120' date='Aug 16 2008, 07:10 PM']P.S.

[img]http://www.gorillaexchange.com/Users/144/images/74.jpg[/img]

/Obligatory.[/quote]
YOU TOOK MY ANSWER!! and you are way to young to appreciate it fully anyway... <_<

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1630390' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:03 AM']YOU TOOK MY ANSWER!! and you are way to young to appreciate it fully anyway... <_<[/quote]

But..but...but... I'm *cultured!*

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1629120' date='Aug 16 2008, 07:10 PM']P.S.

[img]http://www.gorillaexchange.com/Users/144/images/74.jpg[/img]

/Obligatory.[/quote]
You beat me to it.
[img]http://www.seancoon.org/wp-content/postimages/they_live.jpg[/img]

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1630368' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:09 AM']Oh yes, pics are allowed in the BM, but not at the Tutankhamun exhibit (which isn't at the BM, I don't think). I prefer if people don't use a flash when taking pictures at museums, personally. BTW, only about 10% of the Egyptian artefacts owned by the BM are on display, with the rest in the basement. I went on a tour of the basement with my MA class. :))[/quote]
Wow, that's crazy! They must have... months worth of displays then. I don't think you could ever spend too much time in that museum.
I want to go baaaaaack! Waaaaaa. :P
:)
Btw, I'd love if someone played the world's tiniest violin for me. It would totally fit.