An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roe V. Wade

M.SIGGA

I just thought it was really interesting that the swing vote that 'swung' the other way came from a Catholic Reagan appointee.

[url="http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/local/8100489.htm"]http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisob...cal/8100489.htm[/url]

I think this is a great example why the Catholic Church, especially in my archdiocese, should stop endorsing a particular political party BY NAME from the pulpit because it has ties to secret and quietly pro-abortion and liberal and/or anti-life politicians with political agendas - and the Church shouldn't have it's name or heirarchy associated with a party that isn't 100% pro-Life.

The emergence of liberation theology in the southern hemisphere and gallicanism which spread through Flanders and France are examples from history why it's scary for the Church to get involved in national politics, especially in secular nations or in nations with hypocritical/anti-Christian rulers.

Evangelism by changing the nation from the inside out and offering up everything to God I think is the best way to fix the death culture in America instead of putting so much trust in some of these "pro-life" politicians who are wolves in disguise that will say anything for a vote.

cmotherofpirl

related article
The Blackmuns: Like daughter, like father
Was high-court justice influenced in Roe by child's own teen pregnancy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 3, 2004
5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

While reporters and researchers are anxiously awaiting tomorrow's release of late-Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun's private papers for insight to his legal reasoning in the Roe v. Wade decision, information revealed by his daughter raises the possibility family considerations played a role in the 1973 landmark abortion case.

Sally Blackmun, the executor for the papers, told WomensEnews her father consulted with members of his family after being assigned responsibility for writing the majority opinion.

"Roe was a case that Dad struggled with," Blackmun told the feminist news service. "It was a case that he asked his daughters' and wife's opinion about."

One opinion was certainly pertinent – Sally Blackmun's.

Seven years previous, while a 19-year-old sophomore at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., Blackmun discovered she was pregnant.

"It was one of those things I was not at all proud of, that I was not at all pleased with myself about. It was a big disappointment to my parents," she recounted for WomensEnews. "I did what so many young women of my era did. I quit college and married my 20-year-old college boyfriend. It was a decision that I might have made differently had Roe v. Wade been around."

Blackmun lost her child to a miscarriage in the weeks following her wedding. It took six years, she noted, to complete her graduation requirements, something she questions would have occurred had her child been born. In those same six years, her hastily formed marriage collapsed. The year was 1972 – the same year her father sought her input on Roe.

Today, Sally Blackmun is an attorney for Darden Restaurants Inc., the company that operates Red Lobster, Olive Garden and other chain restaurants nationwide. She is also a board member for Planned Parenthood of Greater Orlando and, in May, will become chair of the organization. She lead a recent $3 million effort to construct a new Planned Parenthood facility in Central Florida. Former Planned Parenthood of Greater Orlando chair Rita Lowndes says of Blackmun's work, "Sally sees it as a way to honor her father's legacy."

At the time of the Roe decision, Sally Blackmun lived and worked in Washington, D.C. Although Supreme Court decisions are generally made without advanced announcement, Justice Blackmun notified his daughter so she could be present in court when the decision was read.

"I remember that it was very tense in the courtroom, very crowded. The decorum is such that people aren't yelling and screaming and carrying on. We didn't know how he was going to come down on it. And I was very pleased with the decision and the fact that it gave women that right of choice," Blackmun told WomensEnews. "Dad always felt that it was the right thing to do and the necessary thing to do toward the full emancipation of women in this country. So we certainly were in favor of what he did."

Most recently, Blackmun has written the forward to "The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back," by Gloria Feldt, president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. In it she repeats her father's 1989 warning over continued efforts to overturn the Roe decision: "A chill wind blows." The book is due out in April.

dairygirl4u2c

I didn't know they were that close to over ruling the case, interesting. I wonder if they'd overrule it completely or just end second and third trimester abortions. I'm sure they'd allow for the mother's health.

But anyway, if they are so close to stopping abortions, I almost feel obligated to vote for dubya. It'd be worth it to stop the second and third trimester abortions.

Anyway, I think your link does prove your point that you can never know who's what or make that your deciding vote in general.

But Breyer was inaugurated in 94 by Bill Clinton which only made the likelihood even less that it'd be over turned.

But your link also shows that even one conservative can end it soon, so maybe you should reconsider your vote as I am.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

It's also odd that Justice Blackmun was a Nixon appointee and was overwhelmingly conservative on all other issues. I really really cannot stand lukewarm politicians and being lied to over and over again. Why doesn't the Christian Right ever talk about how their party members are largely responsible for abortion legalization and toleration of Roe v. Wade for 30 years? Democrats have done their share of evil too, but how can members of the Church heirarchy publicly endorse an organization with this kind of record?

What really gets me is that the girl had a miscarriage. Although it happened through no fault of hers, didn't she feel sad? Didn't she realize that a life in her had ended? Well, if she had aborted, she'd have felt that PLUS guilt and a wide array of other negative feelings and behaviors.

Some people just never learn. :( Heaven help us all!

[quote name='Dave' date='Mar 4 2004, 12:12 PM'] What really gets me is that the girl had a miscarriage. Although it happened through no fault of hers, didn't she feel sad? Didn't she realize that a life in her had ended? Well, if she had aborted, she'd have felt that PLUS guilt and a wide array of other negative feelings and behaviors.

Some people just never learn. :( Heaven help us all! [/quote]
Well, she was probably just ignorant. I'm not excusing her at all. But she was probably lied to as so many people are that there is no life there.

THough this article is very sad and makes me really angry, it does give me hope that Roe will eventually be overturned. I mean, if it came that close....

All I can do is pray.

Jake Huether

[quote name='Dave' date='Mar 4 2004, 11:12 AM'] What really gets me is that the girl had a miscarriage. Although it happened through no fault of hers, didn't she feel sad? Didn't she realize that a life in her had ended? Well, if she had aborted, she'd have felt that PLUS guilt and a wide array of other negative feelings and behaviors.

Some people just never learn. :( Heaven help us all! [/quote]
I know! It's like she was happy that her child died - so that she could finish school.

Maybe she should have made the CHOICE not to have sex. Then she could have finished school even earlier! And maybe she wouldn't have ended up in a bumb marraige. Bet she didn't think of that.

[quote name='Jake Huether' date='Mar 4 2004, 12:19 PM'] I know! It's like she was happy that her child died - so that she could finish school.

Maybe she should have made the CHOICE not to have sex. Then she could have finished school even earlier! And maybe she wouldn't have ended up in a bumb marraige. Bet she didn't think of that. [/quote]
Yeah!

It's not the baby's fault that it was created. But she either didn't want to acknowledge that, didn't care, or was blinded by ignorance.

[quote name='Jake Huether' date='Mar 4 2004, 01:19 PM'] I know! It's like she was happy that her child died - so that she could finish school.

Maybe she should have made the CHOICE not to have sex. Then she could have finished school even earlier! And maybe she wouldn't have ended up in a bumb marraige. Bet she didn't think of that. [/quote]
Amen!