Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

Okay, I was watching, laughing to myself, as people kept talking about wanting to learn Latin, etc. on our "^<v" game this afternoon.

I think that we should make a board for Latin lessons! Enough of us on here know it (myself included) well enough to teach it to those who don't...and it is the language of the Church...come on, dUSt...give the people Latin!

:P

Posted

that would be cool! i haven't taken a latin class in four years! i would love it! :D

Mary's Knight, La
Posted

i wanna learn latin someday i won't qualify as a native speaker but i still think it would be great

FaithFinder
Posted

Yeah I aced latin in hs but the only thing I came out of there with, was ....

semper ubi sub ubi

and

vini vidi vici

something a bit meaningful would be nice!


vale magister ( or however its spelled, I know what I was going for and thats what counts!) :D

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted (edited)

You see, dUSt?!

I've got two people already!

Not to brag, but solely to express qualifications:

I took four years in high school.

I won four gold medals on the National Latin Examinations

I won one bronze and one silver medal on the Medusa (National) Mythology Examinations

I was the top of my class and among the top in my state (99th percentile)...

Come on! Make a Latin phorum!!!

Edited by Raphael
Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote]vale magister ( or however its spelled, I know what I was going for and thats what counts!)[/quote]

You spelled it correctly.

Come on, dUSt, I think I have three, now!

~runnergurl~
Posted

And another who's thinking about signing up for it next year...should I? lol

Posted

I want to learn Latin. Right now I am limited to Wheelock's Latin textbook and Idiot's Latin and my bit of Latin that my music teacher (majored in Latin) tells me every week.

Posted

all i know of Latin:

"Ave Maria, gracia plena, Dominus tecum. benedicta tu in muilleribus et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora muertes nostrae, Amen"
(Hail Mary,...)

"Gloria Patri, Et Filio, Et Espiritui Sancto, sicut erat in principo, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorem"
(Glory be to the Father....)

"Pater Noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur Nomen Tuum. Adveniat Regnum Tuum. Fiat voluntas tua sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem Nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie. Et debit nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimmitimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne inducas in tentacion, sed libera nos a malo"
(Our Father...)

"Salve Magistra" (hello female teacher)
"Valve Magistra" (good by female teacher)

"Mica, mica, parva stella
mirror quinom systembella...." (twinkle twinkle, little star....)

hehe. anyway: "To pronounce the V or not to pronounce the V, THAT is the question"

do you know classical latin or ecclesiastical latin? ;) :)

IXpenguin21
Posted

no one mentioned "E. PLURIBUS UNUM"

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 5 2004, 08:09 PM'] hehe. anyway: "To pronounce the V or not to pronounce the V, THAT is the question" [/quote]
that was always my question. i absolutely HATED it when my latin teacher pronounced "v" like a "w"!

it's

video
vides
videt
videmus
videtis
vident,

[i][b]not [/b][/i]

wideo
wides
widet
widemus
widetis
wident!

Posted

you'll LOVE ecclesiastical latin! Ave Maria, not Awe Maria... :wacko: ;) :cool: :)

Posted

LOL. It is kind of funny to see some teens agruing over how Latin, a dead langauge, should be pronounced. It makes me so happy.

Posted

latin ain't dead! lol... plus: it depends on whether it's Church Latin (ecclesiastical Latin) or the Latin the Romans spoke (classical Latin)

ecclesiastical Latin RULES! it pronounces Vs hehehe :cool:

Knight4Christ
Posted

I would love to learn some Latin!!! :D :cool:

Posted

PVERE SVNT STVLTA

homeschoolmom
Posted

I'm in!! I want to get a jump on teaching it to my daughter (the Pony Princess). I have been looking into curriculum and debated with my good Baptist friends the merrits of eclesiastical vs. classical. Finally desided on Latina Christiana (if anyone knows anything about it and has an opinion, I'd like to hear it).... So anyway, I'm in...

Posted

I want to learn Latin! Count me in.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

THe [i]Latin for Dummies[/i] is a great introductory book on the topic.

Posted

I took two years of Latin, but all I remember are the Ave Maria and the Pater Noster...

Festa dies tibi!
Festa dies tibi!
Festa dies, cara (fill in name)..
Festa dies tibi!
:cake:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...