An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Hopping

Trooper4DaHolyG

Trooper4DaHolyG

ahh yeah... a kind of come back, because i was just wondering if any one could help me with any scriptures relating to "Church Hopping"
By this I mean serving two or more churches to fulfill the needs of self (churches usually hold same beliefs, just different leadership and bodies.)

your thoughts below would be very helpful....

Trooper4DaHolyG

well instead of serving the church, you look and see that one church has a better social scene, and another church has better structure... so you attend both.
I am not talking about me by the way, I am wondering for a friend...
It's ok now I found some stuff....

cmotherofpirl

I don't see what the problem would be, unless you are compromising your beliefs.
I attend different functions at different parishes.

Are you tithing at both?

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Guest CAT-angel

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 7 2004, 12:03 AM'] I don't see what the problem would be, unless you are compromising your beliefs.
I attend different functions at different parishes.

Are you tithing at both? [/quote]
i think it is fine. i also do things in both 2 diffent Parishes as well as i sometime go to one of my friends non-Catholic churches.

nikkan_hanil

Well I serve 2 Catholic churches around my area, and I've had no qualms whatsoever. Except maybe the youth group at my original parish, but that's another story...

I think it would be easier to do in a unified religion such as Catholicism, because despite the different churches, all the same beliefs are held by everyone. It would get kinda iffy if the two churches one was hopping back and forth to held different theological views.

[quote name='CAT-angel' date='Mar 7 2004, 12:52 PM'] ... as well as i sometime go to one of my friends non-Catholic churches. [/quote]
Hopefully, you're not actively participating in their worship?

[quote]Hopefully you're not actively participating in their worship?[/quote]

Dust, you mean actively participating in their communion don't you? It's OK to worship together isn't it, just not to take communion?

IcePrincessKRS

No, I think he really meant worship. As Catholics we can attend, but not actively participate in services of other churches. I'm not sure about singing praise, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, if you actively participate in their services--and this includes, but is not limited to, communion--it would be like saying that that church is equal to the Catholic Church, (Hope I'm making sense here!) and as Catholics we do not. That probably sounds harsh, and I don't mean to offend, but the Catholic Church is the only one that holds the Fullness of Truth. These other religions have partial Truth, yes, but since they don't have the Fullness of Truth we cannot actively participate in their services.

To go along with what Ice Princess said, we must remember that some of the songs of Praise they use are also "protestant" of Church Teaching.

I certainly agree that the Catholic church contains the Fullness of Truth, but surely worshipping God within a Christian context is good at any time, any place?

I'm not for one minute suggesting that it would be right to take communion, or that it would be right to stay if the minister started spouting anti catholic views (as I know at least one person here at PM has experienced).

Trooper4DaHolyG

well the dude i was speaking about, is now going to a different cell. because our cell structure has changed... anyways after research of the bible. No major problems with it! yet the churches do believe differently there evangelism is the same (which is basis of the cell group he is attending).
I know alot of Catholics who worship @ these massive rallys we have in the city, there run by a Pentecostal Church... but is an outreach event...

cmotherofpirl

We use the word worship differently Troop.
To a Catholic worship is the Mass, Adoration, Benediction.

Everything else is a prayer service. Catholics can attend a prayer service, but they are not worshipping.