An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Can No Longer Call Myself A Yankees Fan...

T-Bone _

I think he's already started. I'm kind of glad that Derek Jeter got the Yankee Stadium hits record. I think he may end up being the last real Yankee.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1659698' date='Sep 19 2008, 08:22 PM']I think he [Jeter] may end up being the last real Yankee.[/quote]

Yep!

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1660309' date='Sep 20 2008, 07:53 PM']P.S. why is this in the debate table?[/quote]

I was aiming for the Lame Board and missed?

I stayed up late and watched the whole thing. It was really sad. No more will the players round the same base path that Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, the Mick and the others greats did. They will not sit in the same dugout that Casey Stengle, Billy Martin , Joe Torre and the other great managers did. They will not throw from the same mound that Whitey Ford, Don Larson, Ron Guidrey, Catfish Hunter (I admit that I am a Catfish Hunter fan.), Boomer and so many other great pitchers have thrown from. Yankee Stadium is sacred baseball ground and it is now leaving us. The link to history is broken.

As for me this year I root for the Dodgers

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1661244' date='Sep 22 2008, 04:22 PM']As for me this year I root for the Dodgers[/quote]

The [s]Brooklyn[/s] Dodgers?

i don't like the yankees now and i never will. but that stadium pretty much sums up all the greatness of the sport. so much happened there! and because they are getting a new stadium they have next years' all star game too! (on a side note...after that, the all star game will be at angel stadium....just 10-15 mins down the street from me! so excited!) unfortunately i never got to see a game played at yankee stadium. i was going to try to go this year but it didn't end up working out. :(

I never would go to the stadium b/c of the anti-abortion chant that the blood runs under yankee stadium.

As much as I know that was a literary device I still can't help but feel relieved that its going down.

My dad grew up in NYC and used to have such great Yankee Stadium stories. Our family has been watching Yankee games since they were the Highlanders. My dad was 8 years old when the stadium was built. His best story was going to the game with an uncle when he was 13. His uncle was NYPD, and got him a seat by the Yankee dugout where he was standing. Babe Ruth hit a foul ball that went onto the roof of the dug out, and my dad jumped for it, and ended up falling in the dugout. That was back in the day when players took care of problems like that rather than call security, and his uncle just got him out of there before he got killed. He almost broke his wrist in the fall. He said that dugout was a couple of inches deep in tobacco spit.