princessgianna Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 (edited) [quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1667911' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:41 PM']Anyone know what it is?[/quote] yes! Edited October 1, 2008 by princessgianna
princessgianna Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='princessgianna' post='1667918' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:53 PM']yes![/quote] i guess you want to know what it is
aalpha1989 Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 (edited) Yeah. I kinda prefer more personal, quiet adoration. It is more condusive to interior prayer and meditation. Edited October 1, 2008 by aalpha1989
princessgianna Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='aalpha1989' post='1667920' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:54 PM']Yeah. I kinda prefer more personal, quiet adoration. It is more condusive to interior prayer and meditation.[/quote] xlt means exalt and it is Adoration mainly for teens and youth group! i agree with aalpha1989 i like the more personal and quiet adoration but it is kind of cool!
IrishSalesian Posted October 2, 2008 Author Posted October 2, 2008 Yes, i would like to know what it is. Anyone have any websites with info on it?
aalpha1989 Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 I don't know about websites... it's not that difficult to explain, though. Basically (in my experience) the youth just go into a chapel and kneel down as the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. There can be short periods of silence for individual prayers. Most of the time, though, is spent with praise and worship music. The youth are free to sit, stand, kneel, pray the rosary, sing the p&w song, or whatever. It is not a bad way to pray, but I personally need it to be more quiet. It is very hard for me to focus with the music there, and although the music is good, I find it to be a bit of a shallow way to pray. It is certainly only a first step into something deeper. I don't mean that all music is that way, only praise and worship in its very nature (most praise and worship advocates would say that it's an extremely deep way to pray, but most who say that are also pretty dependant on their emotions and think that the depth of their emotions= the depth of their prayer). I'm not trying to be judgmental, only telling of my experience after having prayed at many xlt's and having talked to people who rely on praise and worship to pray. It is definitely possible to pray praise and worship without being relient on it, but a lot of teens are.
HisChildForever Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 I think it has something to do with Lifeteen.
Mercy me Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 I went to one in Atlanta. We never did it at our Lifeteen because we tend towards a [u]much[/u] lower key adoration.
Majella Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='doe-jo' post='1668223' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:22 PM']I prefer silence during adoration...[/quote] Absolutely!!!!!!
IrishSalesian Posted October 2, 2008 Author Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='aalpha1989' post='1667920' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:54 PM']Yeah. I kinda prefer more personal, quiet adoration. It is more condusive to interior prayer and meditation.[/quote] [quote name='Majella' post='1668246' date='Oct 2 2008, 03:56 AM']Absolutely!!!!!![/quote] I understand that many of you do enjoy quiet time rather than praise and worship. But, I am not asking for personal opinions. I have been put in charge of this new program at the parish that The Salesians have been entrusted with. All i am doing is looking for sources. Not opinions. Thank you.
TotusTuusMaria Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1668261' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:38 AM']I understand that many of you do enjoy quiet time rather than praise and worship. But, I am not asking for personal opinions. I have been put in charge of this new program at the parish that The Salesians have been entrusted with. All i am doing is looking for sources. Not opinions. Thank you.[/quote] The description above was spot on. It is adoration associated with the Life teen program. It is a lot like adoration, on a local/fewer people level, at Steubenville. Praise and Worship, contemporary Christian songs are sang. It is mostly advertised as being just for teens and young adults. You can kneel, stand, sit.... just get comfortable and pray anyway you like. The music does continue for the duration of the adoration time, stopping for short moments of silence and community prayer. I think this has a lot to do though with who is in charge of the planning it. Mostly it is known as adoration with contemporary songs and young people. It is a huge thing in Atlanta. That is where it originated, I believe. It was implemented in my diocese a little over a year ago and more young people come to adoration then ever before and they come consistently. We had a weekly adoration before "XLT" for young people and we got about two or three young people. We have this XLT associated with Lifeteen and we have about 20 - 30 young people. I won't give my opinion.
LouisvilleFan Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 (edited) I've always wanted to attend an XLT. Just recently a couple parishes here started doing something similar, which they call Eucharistic Festival of Praise (abbreviated FOP). It seems to go by different names in different areas of the country. In Boston, they have LIFT, which Cardinal Sean talked about at the end of this [url="http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/2007/04/27/releasing-financial-reports-celebrating-confirmations-and-breaking-grounds/"]blog post[/url] (includes some cool pics too!). Other than that, I don't know anything from personal experience, but the basic idea seems to be a praise-and-worship service + Adoration + cool abbreviated name for it = fun times with Jesus. Personally, I think it's a great idea with great potential, if it's implemented right. Times of silence can always be integrated into the night, which is commonly done at praise-and-worship services too. Giving young people a positive outlet for their energy can't be a bad thing, and probably helps strengthen their prayer during the simpler times of silence. But, then, that's just my opinion... Edited October 2, 2008 by LouisvilleFan
Noel's angel Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 Sounds like a big old pile of junk to me. Adoration=silence.
LouisvilleFan Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668297' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:39 AM']Sounds like a big old pile of junk to me. Adoration=silence.[/quote] Since IrishSalesian stated earlier that he's looking for information rather than opinions, is there any reason why Adoration must be done in silence? Is that canon law?
Noel's angel Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 (edited) Nope. I never said it was. Edited October 2, 2008 by Noel's angel
LouisvilleFan Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668411' date='Oct 2 2008, 12:40 PM']Nope. I never said it was.[/quote] Well, it's nice that so many people around here are quicker to get their two cents of opinion into a thread before taking the time to read the thread and find out what the original poster actually wants to hear. Seems to reflect the attitude of a certain class of proudly orthodox Catholics that I am finding myself increasingly wishing to distance myself from in favor of the moderates, who are much easier to get along with, and often are surprisingly open to Church teaching. Now, having that off my chest I know someone who put on an XLT-like event recently, so I could get more info from them. Is there anything in particular you're looking for, Irish? Edited October 2, 2008 by LouisvilleFan
Church Punk Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 Why would you adore an Extra Large T-Shirt? or do you go to adoration wearing an Extra Large T-Shirt?
Noel's angel Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1668530' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:52 PM']Well, it's nice that so many people around here are quicker to get their two cents of opinion into a thread before taking the time to read the thread and find out what the original poster actually wants to hear. Seems to reflect the attitude of a certain class of proudly orthodox Catholics that I am finding myself increasingly wishing to distance myself from in favor of the moderates, who are much easier to get along with, and often are surprisingly open to Church teaching. Now, having that off my chest I know someone who put on an XLT-like event recently, so I could get more info from them. Is there anything in particular you're looking for, Irish?[/quote] I had read the thread and that the op did not want opinions (seemingly directed towards those of us who had a negative view on such things), but I am entitled to give my opinion regardless. If he wants to ignore it, that's fine with me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now