An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 'nuculer' Option For The Two-party System

kenrockthefirst

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Winchester' post='1674218' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:34 PM']Wednesday.[/quote]
There are a lot of accepted pronunciations for Wednesday, as I just learnt from [url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wednesday"]Wiktionary[/url].

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1673350' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:55 AM']I attended a run-of-the-mill elementary school and, doggone it, I *can* pronounce "nuclear."[/quote]
I think that anyone who uses the word "doggone" is needs to go back to elementary school.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1674873' date='Oct 11 2008, 03:10 AM']There are a lot of accepted pronunciations for Wednesday, as I just learnt from [url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wednesday"]Wiktionary[/url].[/quote]

But only the one kenrockthefirst uses is proper. If anyone uses anything different, they are a moron, and unfit to live.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674344' date='Oct 10 2008, 06:44 PM']By the way, although Merriam-Webster has no explanation why Obama mangles the pronunciation of Pockiston, it does list [b]BOTH[/b] pronunciations of nuclear:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear[/url][/quote]
Hmm, I stand corrected. I'll have to remember that in the future.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1674423' date='Oct 10 2008, 04:09 PM']Well, I'm pretty sure that Pakistanis would actually pronounce Pakistan "Pockiston". I'm not positive, but I really do think so...[/quote]
Well, people in Mexico pronounce Mexico "Me-he-co", but that doesn't mean that's how we should pronounce it while speaking English.

My peeve is when some people make words plural completely unnecessarily and inappropriately. For example, there are far too many folks in my neighborhood who will say that they "went to Wal-Marts to get a computer so's they can use the Internets."

Gah! I know that my neighborhood looks a bit white-trash, but we don't need to try so hard to sound like it too. Talk about reinforcing negative stereotypes.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='dUSt' post='1675053' date='Oct 11 2008, 11:38 AM']Well, people in Mexico pronounce Mexico "Me-he-co", but that doesn't mean that's how we should pronounce it while speaking English.[/quote]
That's a difference in the sounds of letters. That doesn't change the fact that there is no second 'u' in nuclear.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1675103' date='Oct 11 2008, 01:59 PM']My peeve is when some people make words plural completely unnecessarily and inappropriately. For example, there are far too many folks in my neighborhood who will say that they "went to Wal-Marts to get a computer so's they can use the Internets."

Gah! I know that my neighborhood looks a bit white-trash, but we don't need to try so hard to sound like it too. Talk about reinforcing negative stereotypes.[/quote]

I've been to Wal-Marts before. First one, but they didn't have what I needed, so I went to the one a few miles down the road.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1673267' date='Oct 9 2008, 07:14 AM'][url="http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2008/10/the_nuculer_option_for_the_two.html#more"]The 'nuculer' option for the two-party system[/url]

[i]I have never been a big fan of the parliamentary system. But I'm starting to see its advantages.

This revelation came to me when I began to encounter what I term "the moron perspective." The moron perspective is the idea that criticism of a candidate from the right somehow constitutes an endorsement of that candidate's opponent on the left. Here's an example. Suppose I write a column in which I say that John McCain is an advocate of immigration amnesty, is a tool of the Beltway bureaucracy and is wedded to a liberal internationalist foreign policy that has its root in the thought of Leon Trotsky.

Inevitably I will get an e-mail the next day from some moron asking me why I am supporting Barack Obama. To the e-mail writer, any criticism of the Republican candidate constitutes an endorsement of the Democrat. It is simply impossible for such a mind to comprehend that there is a political spectrum and that on that spectrum there is ample room to the right of the Republican Party.

But that was not what pushed me over the edge. That occurred the other night when I listened to Sarah Palin mispronouncing the word "nuclear" over and over again in the vice presidential debate. This marks the third presidential election in a row in which the GOP has nominated for national office a candidate who has failed to master sixth-grade English. Worse, for the past eight years, people have been making fun of President Bush for saying "nuculer." Yet Palin somehow failed to notice this despite all those newspapers she claims to read.[/i]

I would like to congratulate Mr. Mulshine for getting on board with me regarding:

[list=1]
[*]The fact that criticism of a candidate does not ipso facto imply endorsement of the other candidate.
[*]That Sarah Palin's inability to pronounce the word "nuclear" is a strike against her.
[/list][/quote]

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674182' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:10 AM']For y'all being such huge supporters of the tolerant, all inclusive, liberal left, y'all sure are acting prejudice right now against dialects and cultures who are not exactly like y'alls.

We say nuke-ya-ler in Texas, and that's the right way to say it down here, so if you don't like it, stay out of Texas.[/quote]

hahaha, irony.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1673457' date='Oct 9 2008, 02:34 PM']So people from the south are the only ones with accents?

Statements like that come from stupid people. Not the mispronunciation of words.[/quote]

did i say "people from the south are the only ones with accents"? no. but you did. and statements like that come from stupid people, according to your standards.. how funny if you're the same one who said you judge people by their standards! good thing i don't judge you by your standards or I'd declare you stupid!

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674182' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:10 AM']We say nuke-ya-ler in Texas, and that's the right way to say it down here, so if you don't like it, stay out of Texas.[/quote]

about 80 of my family members live in or around Corpus Christi--yes we're catholic and mexican, 80 is not an exaggeration--and i would imagine that they all say it correctly. most f them are also bilingual, though I am, sadly, not..but they only speak with a spanish accent when speaking spanish. :unsure: maybe you should go hate on them because apparently correct pronunciation and lack of regional accents means you get hated on by phatmassers.. lol.

Edited by SpareTime

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1675656' date='Oct 12 2008, 02:13 PM']did i say "people from the south are the only ones with accents"? no. but you did. and statements like that come from stupid people, according to your standards.. how funny if you're the same one who said you judge people by their standards! good thing i don't judge you by your standards or I'd declare you stupid![/quote]

You said, and I quote:

I am from the south and the large majority of my friends do not mispronounce the word nuclear and never have.

By saying that, you have implied that people from the south are the only ones with accents, as per our discussion about the pronunciation of "nuclear" (which, by the way, it has been established that has multiple acceptable pronunciations).

Once again, you lose on this issue.

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1675658' date='Oct 12 2008, 02:17 PM']about 80 of my family members live in or around Corpus Christi--yes we're catholic and mexican, 80 is not an exaggeration--and i would imagine that they all say it correctly. most f them are also bilingual, though I am, sadly, not..but they only speak with a spanish accent when speaking spanish. :unsure: maybe you should go hate on them because apparently correct pronunciation and lack of regional accents means you get hated on by phatmassers.. lol.[/quote]

Funny how someone that is hung up on the alternate pronunciation of words can't even abide by simple grammar rules.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1675871' date='Oct 12 2008, 06:49 PM']You said, and I quote:

I am from the south and the large majority of my friends do not mispronounce the word nuclear and never have.

By saying that, you have implied that people from the south are the only ones with accents, as per our discussion about the pronunciation of "nuclear" (which, by the way, it has been established that has multiple acceptable pronunciations).

Once again, you lose on this issue.[/quote]
No, that has not been established. The dictionary points out that an alternate pronunciation that is used is "nucular" but that it comes from making the error in using the same ending sound as in "molecular" and "particular." There is no second "U' in nuclear and thus should not be pronounced. It has NOTHING to do with accents. It has everything to do with making an error in pronunciation. And if that same error is made long enough, it becomes "accepted" but that does not make it correct.

Edited by fidei defensor

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1675876' date='Oct 12 2008, 06:56 PM']No, that has not been established. The dictionary points out that an alternate pronunciation that is used is "nucular" but that it comes from making the error in using the same ending sound as in "molecular" and "particular." There is no second "U' in nuclear and thus should not be pronounced. It has NOTHING to do with accents. It has everything to do with making an error in pronunciation. And if that same error is made long enough, it becomes "accepted" but that does not make it correct.[/quote]

So, are you advocating reverting to the archaic pronunciations of all words? How far should we go back.