An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fun For The Family Or:

TheTruth

If Harry Potter is a sinner, and we cant acknowledge his talents:
Then does that mean I shouldn't take my kids to God-forsaken-
Disney land??

[quote name='TheTruth' post='1677555' date='Oct 14 2008, 07:35 PM']No, not a sinner. But not highly preferred among us Catholics.[/quote]

He's highly preferred among this Catholic. Any story that can drive home the point that we have two choices in life, the easy path or the right path, is a winner in my book. I'm not going to throw out the message just because it is delivered by a mythical wizard any more than I would throw out the messages of Lord of the Rings, Wizard of Oz, Wizard of Earthsea, or even Camelot.

magic in the fantastical sense in fictional stories is perfectly acceptable.

magic in real world situations based upon real world occult beliefs and practices is problematic.

Harry Potter is in a different category of magic-fiction than most Disney magic or magic in Middle Earth or something, not that it's absolutely evil but it does indeed fall into the later category making it theoretically problematic... ie proceed with some degree of caution.

[quote name='TheTruth' post='1677655' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:17 PM']:dunce:[/quote]

I'm not sure you know me well enough to accurately gauge my IQ. I may surprise you.