Sign in to follow this  
Old_Joe

Ever Had This Happen...

Old_Joe
Apparently, some people just can't my name right. One of my supervisors at work keeps referring to me as Nick, which is understandable because my middle name in Nicholas. One of my former managers, kept referring to me as Mr. Svoboda, which I suppose is understandable because my last name starts with an S and can be difficult to pronounce. However, I am consistently referred to as Josh by different people who have no connection to each other whatsoever except for me. I can under why someone would think my name is Jack because that sounds similar to my name, but I can't understand why I'm constantly called Josh. Does this happen to anyone else?

HisChildForever
Constantly. I have "two first names" as the saying goes, and people constantly call me by my last name.

icelandic_iceskater
My last name is perpetually spelled wrong. It's a simple common name! Not that hard to spell correctly.

CatherineM
I have people call me Cathy. They only do it once. The only one who gets away with it is my mom. She's the only one who scares me too much to correct.

missionseeker
[quote name='CatherineM' post='1677628' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:57 PM']I have people call me Cathy. They only do it once. The only one who gets away with it is my mom. She's the only one who scares me too much to correct.[/quote]

:lol_pound:

Me too! Only my mother doesn't call me Cathy.

and neither does anyone else. lol.

CatherineM
Misspellings happen all the time with my name. K is the German spelling, C is the Irish spelling. There is no K in the Gaelic alphabet.

My biggest problem isn't someone getting my name wrong, it's nicknames. My mother in law is the worst. She usually calls me "it" or "bi$@h." I'm not her favorite by a long shot.

Archaeology cat
My problem is people shortening my name to "Sue", and I detest it. Other ways of shortening my name are acceptable, but not that one. Of course, that seems to be the only one people here use. <_< But in Liverpool (or at least in this part of Liverpool) shortening one's name seems to be a sign of familiarity and affection, so I can't seem to get people to stop doing that. I mean, my neighbours have found ways of shortening 1-syllable names. One of my profs called me "Sue" only once - the look I shot back at him must have warned him. :lol:

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1677607' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:26 AM']My last name is perpetually spelled wrong. It's a simple common name! Not that hard to spell correctly.[/quote]
My maiden name was always misspelt and mispronounced. On the plus side, it made it easy to identify telemarketers. :mellow:

T-Bone _
I get called "Der Burgermeister Meisterburger" at work. Nothing to do with my name, but because I'm always cranky.

puellapaschalis
I don't even really know how my real first name is pronounced: a few years ago I just decided how I wanted it said, and given that hardly anyone can get it right, I have a universal nickname. Well, almost universal, as online I have quite a few different ones :ninja:

Autumn Dusk
I get Andrea alot and sometimes Megan. I've even gotten Carrie a couple of times but that's besides the point. I'm just lil old Autumn. Cause thats when my birthday is. YAY ME.

Groo the Wanderer
Some people try to call me Joe, but I really hate that. At work, it ranges from bossman to jefito to hey you to sir.

Nobody ever called me Cathy or Sue though...

My favorite name to be called? --------> Daddy!

Christie_M
everyone ALWAYS calls me christina. My name is Christine with and "E' at the end. But it doesn't help that my middle name starts with an A (ashley)
:idontknow: