An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of The Immaculate Conception

Gemma

We were given permission to write about the nuns' life at Oulton Abbey. We were asked to stop the site because the nuns decided they were going to build their own official website. So our website on Oulton Abbey was changed into the "Unofficial" website and will remain so.

There were other factors involved, but Prudence forbids that we discuss it on a public forum.

The Franciscan Sisters Minor--or something to that effect--in MA do not have an official website due to their vow of poverty, but their friends built them a website without the sisters' permission or knowledge for the sake of vocations.

The Marbury Dominican nuns also had an "unofficial" website built for them.

The discerner with whom I worked on the website has this to say to those who have questions about Oulton's enclosure:

"Oulton Abbey does keep enclosure. It just doesn't keep enclosure in the playgroup or nursing homes obviously, but the residents and staff within those places do not have access to the actual convent which is off limits as the official enclosure and home of the nuns."

The way Phatmass has treated me personally in the last several months has scared a number of potential posters away--including those with good vocational discernment information. Vocational discernment always accentuates the positive in discerners. I hope there are eyes to see and ears to hear what I'm saying.

Blessings,
Gemma

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='Gemma' post='1704098' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:48 PM']The way Phatmass has treated me personally in the last several months has scared a number of potential posters away--including those with good vocational discernment information. Vocational discernment always accentuates the positive in discerners. I hope there are eyes to see and ears to hear what I'm saying.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

I personally agree with this statement.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' post='1704106' date='Nov 18 2008, 03:21 PM']I personally agree with this statement.[/quote]

Yes, I do too. :sign: If I were you Gemma I don't know if I just would have left altogether. I am glad you didn't, however.

:grouphug:

Laudem Gloriae

An unofficial website doesn't do any harm I believe if the order doesn't have one and especially when it is prepared by someone who has spent a lot of time with the sisters discerning, living-in and going to enter. Also, I know taht the Motehr Abbess asked for the website down at first because she is totally clueless about the internet and websites - thank God SOME abbess is! She was so unaware of the internet that she thought it would hurt the order! But she is aware now and that's maybe why the test is make up. They had to use archive photos I was told.

How many times have any one of us been told about an order and it was THEIR experience and not "ours, etc. - meaning as coming from the sisters and it got many people interested in this order where they contacted the order too. An unofficial website is just a clearer and different way of telling someone of a great place tha you visited and that needs vocations. As long as the unofficial website doesn't give false, misleading or wrong info it is helpful. I personally know a few women who never heard of Oulton Abbey but know have because of this unofficial site and they are planning to write to the Mother Abbess.

For some to dictate and TELL Gemma to take down the website is wrong and non of their business - it is between Gemma, the woman who is entering with the order who did the site with Gemma and the Mother Abbess.

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1704357' date='Nov 18 2008, 08:49 PM']An unofficial website doesn't do any harm I believe if the order doesn't have one and especially when it is prepared by someone who has spent a lot of time with the sisters discerning, living-in and going to enter. Also, I know taht the Motehr Abbess asked for the website down at first because she is totally clueless about the internet and websites - thank God SOME abbess is! She was so unaware of the internet that she thought it would hurt the order! But she is aware now and that's maybe why the test is make up. They had to use archive photos I was told.

How many times have any one of us been told about an order and it was THEIR experience and not "ours, etc. - meaning as coming from the sisters and it got many people interested in this order where they contacted the order too. An unofficial website is just a clearer and different way of telling someone of a great place tha you visited and that needs vocations. As long as the unofficial website doesn't give false, misleading or wrong info it is helpful. I personally know a few women who never heard of Oulton Abbey but know have because of this unofficial site and they are planning to write to the Mother Abbess.

For some to dictate and TELL Gemma to take down the website is wrong and non of their business - it is between Gemma, the woman who is entering with the order who did the site with Gemma and the Mother Abbess.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I think it's wonderful that Gemma wanted to provide the nuns with a website so they would attain more vocations. I have never heard of this abbey until now, and I think that many more women will be able to find out about it because of the unofficial site. If the Abbess agreed in the first place, then it should be ok, and Gemma shouldn't be chastised for trying to help out. God bless you, Gemma! :D

TotusTuusMaria

I thought the website is much like a fan-site. I don't see how it could hurt or offend the community. It is only spreading the word about the community, with information the person making it already has about the community. It is no more different then us posting information about certain communities on the web here at phatmass. We don't ask their permission, however you will often see posting about the lives and customs of certain communities we know about. I don't see how what we do here is any different then what Gemma has done.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1704298' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:47 PM']Yes, I do too. :sign: If I were you Gemma I don't know if I just would have left altogether. I am glad you didn't, however.

:grouphug:[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words, all of you.

In response to this one in particular, I kept in mind what Fr. Gambari's book about founding orders said--founders are not to respond to such criticism. Their silence attests to the Spirit being in the foundation.

But I also have a job to do where the vocations are concerned. In that case, I kept in mind a scene from the movie "Gandhi," where the non-violent protesters kept going up in front of the cops and got billy-clubbed. I knew the Adversary was trying to sow dissension, so I just laid low until the Spirit said, "Get back in there."

As I said before, I'm here for discerners, not critics. I have two spiritual directors now, one of whom is a Dominican involved full-time in formation for his province, and a hermit with 40 years eremitical experience who also does full-time formation for his hermitage. The Dominican used to be involved in the now-defunct Fellowship of Emerging Communities.

Our Cloisterite Hermits begin their formation in earnest this Friday, which is the date of the Pro Orantibus. [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/cloisterites/"]http://cloisters.tripod.com/cloisterites/[/url]

Here are my blogs:

[url="http://jivihermitage.blogspot.com/"]http://jivihermitage.blogspot.com/[/url]
[url="http://cloisteroutreach.blogspot.com/"]http://cloisteroutreach.blogspot.com/[/url]
[url="http://reparatrixanchoresses.blogspot.com/"]http://reparatrixanchoresses.blogspot.com/[/url]

Thanks again & blessings,
Gemma

• 2 years later...
Studiumecclesiae

You know what? I heard of this community through this unofficial website, and now I am just mad about this community. It deserves to be better known and to have vocation because it's just such a TREASURE, honestly.
I just contacted Gemma to update the website so that we can add information. There's nothing wrong with a "fan website".

God bless the Oulton Nuns!!!

And I can tell you they are enclosed because I've been with them several times. Of course, there's a bit of time in the nursery as well and with the residents in the home, but it's to bring them to God. You just can't go out whenever you like. There are lots of lay people all around, working there, nurses, carers for children...