An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dolores Hart Of Regina Laudis Abby

TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

Dolores Hart will be the guest on Father Groschel's Sunday Night Live show this coming Sunday (4:00 pm Pacific)

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

The Reverend Mother Abbess is Mother David Serna, OSB. Mother Dolores Hart is the Reverend Mother Prioress. They have an excellent website: abbeyofreginalaudis.com

Their "daughterhouse" (Our Lady of the Rock Priory) is off the coast of Washington state in the San Juan Islands - and they have a new website: [url="http://ourladyoftherock.com"]http://ourladyoftherock.com[/url]

The Abbey of Regina Laudis does not have vocation retreats such as the normal "Come and See" but they are very welcoming in their Benedictine hospitality. It is through a visit to the Abbey that one would get to know the community and discern their vocation. They do not accept email from the public. Letters only. They highly value personal relationship and connection; be it to art, music, chant, land management, animals, or any other discipline. I know and love this community well and encourage all to watch what will prove to be a fascinating interview.

I have been very privileged in my life to have spent time alone with Mother Dolores and her vocation story is quite unique. She is an excellent representative of the community, but then again, I am partial to this community and I find all of the nuns there unique and special in their own way!

TradMom

***A special PS...for those of you thinking about religious life, including men, this is an excellent place to visit AND it is an excellent place to bring your parents! They have three guest houses; one for women, one for men, and one for families! Many parents feel so nervous about the idea of cloistered life (though remember this community has constitutional enclosure so it is a little bit different) a visit here will help families/friends relax. The nuns welcome their guests to work alongside of them in their daily duties (not typicially within the formal enclosure) such as gardening, gift shop help, cleaning, etc. and it is through this work the nuns (and guests) get to know one another. One of the things that makes this Abbey unique (imho) is that the nuns are encouraged to bring their profession WITH them as opposed to leaving it at the door! So you will find lawyers, doctors, artists, a Canon Lawyer (or two!), writers, a coagulated milk maker, and more! Their chanting is GORGEOUS and they do the full Divine Office. Also...the food is spectacular, though in honesty I cannot say the same about the food at Our Lady of the Rock! :)

Another place to visit is Petersham, which might be an even better choice for young men thinking about this life is Petersham which has a "double" community (I believe the only one in the US) - monks and nuns. Their hospitality is also quite lovely and warm. I do not believe that the guests are invited to work in the same manner as with the Abbey of Regina Laudis. I believe Osapienta knows more about this than I!

Pax to all!

Edited by TradMom

I've heard that the Abbey of Regina Laudis has recently received a new postulant. I love the community and their website, but I do sometimes wish they'd update news as the Bethlehem Poor Clares do, with the Abbess doing a sort of quarterly newsletter.