An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are There Any Truly Devout Catholic Girls Out There?

reelguy227

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1692834' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:28 AM']agreed.

Except i grew up Methodist. :)
[b]
Raunchy joke warning[/b]:

You know the only difference between a Baptist and a Methodist? The Methodists say hello to each other in the liquor store.

(Supposed to be funny because both Baptists and Methodists are supposed to be teetotalers. )[/quote]
:lol: Too true. Though I've never met a Methodist who was actually a teetotaler. :idontknow: Actually, most of my family is now Methodist.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Slappo' post='1692752' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:04 AM']I should throw in a clause:
Although active pursuit is the role of a man, and passively allowing oneself to be pursued is the role of a woman in dating, that does not mean things cannot successfully happen the other way (see Catherine's testimony).[/quote]

Good point, but I don't think "active" and "passive" are the best words to describe the roles. Even if she isn't doing the pursuing, I don't think the woman's role is the least bit passive. Isaac and Rebecca are a good example. Isaac sent his servant out in search of a good wife, so he was definitely the pursurer, but Rebecca wasn't exactly sitting around on her bum passively waiting for a man to walk into her life. I imagine it's even more work allowing oneself to be pursued than being the one in pursuit :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1692834' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:28 AM']agreed.

Except i grew up Methodist. :)
[b]
Raunchy joke warning[/b]:

You know the only difference between a Baptist and a Methodist? The Methodists say hello to each other in the liquor store.

(Supposed to be funny because both Baptists and Methodists are supposed to be teetotalers. )[/quote]

I didn't know Methodists had a reputation :) I've always heard the same joke making fun of Baptists and Catholics. It's like jokes about sports teams... just insert your favorite rivals, rinse, repeat. :)

You know why you always take two Baptists fishing?

If you only take one Baptist, he'll drink all your beer.

Ash Wednesday

Whatever will be will be. I met my would-be husband in a Catholic channel on the IRC. I mean, if that isn't complete and total geekitude, I don't know what is.

I mean we were just friends for a long time and didn't date until we knew each other in person, but still. Talk about totally random and not planned -- neither of us are the type that just date a lot of people but we were just right for each other.

You just gotta roll with life and keep on doing your thing. Trust that whatever happens is for the best.

Bubblicious here, and I’m not looking to soften any of Soc’s comments. He’s dead on. You are young, and time is on your side. It’s us geezers (I’m 29) who need to watch the clock. (kidding)

I know that being realistic and keeping things in perspective is hard to do (I’m a girl, after all), but he’s right. And, whiny, needy, and self-pitying are never qualities one looks for in a mate. Don’t get bent out of shape just because he didn’t sugar-coat it for you.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1692717' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:25 PM']Sounds like you give up easy, kid.[/quote]

[quote name='reelguy227' post='1692118' date='Nov 3 2008, 01:59 AM']Kid? I hate it when people call me that.[/quote]

Don’t be so defensive. He’s not being condescending or flaunting his superior knowledge because you are 20 and he is 30. Kid in many circles is used as a friendly term, and if you have a problem with being referred to as a kid, then there’s substance to Soc’s statements. He does have a good 10+ years on you, so in some ways you are a “kid” to him, and to many others. Yes, there are those in their 30s that could be outshined by a five year old in a maturity match, but being referred to a kid and taking it as a personal affront is slightly dramatic.

[quote name='reelguy227' post='1692118' date='Nov 3 2008, 01:59 AM']So here's the story.I joined Ave Maria Singles and sent messages to two girls. One wrote me back and told me I was too young, despite the fact that I'm 20 and she's 22, which really didn't make any sense. And the other hasn't even sent back yet.[/quote]

[b]Two tries? [/b] If you’ve only contacted two people on Ave Maria and are ready to quit, then he’s right there too. You have to wade through many fishes before you find a significant catch. That goes for both on and offline dating. I’ve online dated for several years and can’t even count the number of times I was ignored or rejected (in the non-virtual life too). It’s part of the program. I’m sure you’ve rejected possible dating situations as well.

Being single is hard. Dating is hard. Being married is hard. This is what life is all about. It may seem that all the glowy people in relationships have it all, but their palette of issues and worries is just different from yours.

[b]The age issue. [/b] Lots of girls prefer to date guys who are older than they are. It’s a semi-accepted rule of society. If you really dig the girl, write her back and tell her you’re aware that she’s two years older than you, but if she’ll give you a chance, she’ll soon see that it doesn’t matter. (it may or may not, only the two of you can answer that question) If she still says no thanks, then move on. Do you really want to be in a relationship where you’re the only willing party?

[b]Ave Maria Singles. [/b]I understand your concerns about finding a devout Catholic. I’ve got horror stories regarding self proclaimed Catholics and their actions. And, I’m sure I’m not the only one with stories to tell. AMS is one of the many tools in you box, dude. Keep looking, and look everywhere. It’s easy to think that AMS is a gold mine of answers to the ‘who will I spend the rest of my life with’ question. I’m sure you thought (in a way) that once you were on the site, you’d meet someone, and everything in your life would wrap up nicely with a pretty bow. It will. But, you may not find her on AMS, and you may not find her for quite some time. You have to be okay with that. We all do.

[b]Keep the faith. [/b] It’s human to get down about it sometimes. I’m sure it even happens to Socrates. (though he’ll likely deny it :) ) Just don’t stay down. If you’ve really only contacted two girls, then Soc’s right, it is absolutely ridiculous to be upset. But, I’m thinking this is a culmination of rejection and loneliness you’re expressing. Grow in your faith and in your life. These experiences will only increase your compassion and help you further your path. Be sure to let them build up your character instead of bring you down.

Edited by Bubblicious

Ash Wednesday

LOL, agreed with bubblicious -- time is definitely on your side.

I went to prom and on a couple of awkward dates in high school and college -- but I didn't have my first boyfriend until I was freaking 22 years old and I just married at 32.

There's seriously no set timeline as far as when someone is supposed to find a mate, if something like that is meant to be. When I was 20 I was busy selling encyclopedias door-to-door on the road and working in a corn factory and just trying to pay for college. Boys? What boys? I don't care about boys!

Edited by Ash Wednesday

"truly devout" is kinda relative. it seems when praying for someone, you gotta be truly [b]specific[/b] (no joke! it's almost uncanny.) anywho, i've met hundreds of beautiful Catholic girls as i've grown in my pursuit of God and yet noticed many guys complain about their absence. as i've explored this "small" Catholic world, God has presented a ton of potential candidates (ironically, i am not in the market for one). find God, and he will find one *for* you. (get active in the Church!)

i've heard people often complain breakups were due to this, that, or the other person. i believe that often it is not this, that, or the other, but it is in fact *you*.. even more often the person has sought to fill the empty space in their life with another person, when that space can only be filled by God. only then can they ever be truly happy, and ever truly give themselves fully to another.

have you discerned your vocation in life yet? i would recommend you go see what God wants for you first, as is our duty as single Catholics. soon after will God give you great serenity, confidence, and peace, and before you know it He will place before you that special someone. do it His way and you will succeed, do it your way and you risk failure.

[url="http://www.religiouslife.com"]http://www.religiouslife.com[/url]
[url="http://&quot;%20<a%20href="http://www.vocation-network.org/guide&quot;"%20target="_blank">http://www.vocation-network.org/guide&quot;</a>"]http://www.vocation-network.org/guide[/url]

don't be afraid! if it is your call, going through this process will make you 10x the Catholic man, 10x the husband/father, or lead you to the "pearl of great price" (10^x). you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain! :)

I guess I'm just perplexed as to how girls on Ave Maria who claim to be devout Catholics can't even show enough charity and courteousness by totally ignoring someone....? They can't even send an "I'm not interest in you but God Bless" type letter? Seriously, what's the harm in that????

And yes, I have discerned, and know for a fact that I'm not called to be a priest. But thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by reelguy227

Reminds me of a funny, but true line that I've said before (though can be interpreted in a raunchy way). I work in an environment that is filled with female co-workers, a portion of them are rather attractive. Every now and then, people will come up to me and claim how lucky I was being surrounded by so many girls, in which I reply:

"How am I lucky? It's like looking into a candy shop and knowing you're not gonna get any."

:lol:

That, or:

"I'm not so lucky when they're all having their period..."

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1695440' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:01 AM']Reminds me of a funny, but true line that I've said before (though can be interpreted in a raunchy way). I work in an environment that is filled with female co-workers, a portion of them are rather attractive. Every now and then, people will come up to me and claim how lucky I was being surrounded by so many girls, in which I reply:

"How am I lucky? It's like looking into a candy shop and knowing you're not gonna get any."

:lol:

That, or:

"I'm not so lucky when they're all having their period..."[/quote]

:ohno: You are still getting the better end of the deal! You're getting direct training and preparation how to deal with women before you meet whoever God wants you to marry! So you are always getting the better end of the deal :whistle: You better thank them! :hehe:

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1695499' date='Nov 6 2008, 02:47 AM']:ohno: You are still getting the better end of the deal! You're getting direct training and preparation how to deal with women before you meet whoever God wants you to marry! So you are always getting the better end of the deal :whistle: You better thank them! :hehe:[/quote]

Absolutely! :lol:

Edited by Paladin D

Ash Wednesday

I used to resent having 3 older brothers and grew up in a house dominated by men -- but now I think it probably helped me tremendously as far as dating and relationships were concerned.

My sister-in-law had no brothers and grew up in a house of women. One time she was talking about her sons (my nephews) and she said "Oh, now they're in that phase where things like toilet humor such as poops and fluffy air extractions are funny."

To which I said, "honey, that is not a phase."

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1695440' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:01 AM']"I'm not so lucky when they're all having their period..."[/quote]

You know, I heard something somewhere that said that women who work/live closely together for a long time will begin to cycle together as part of some evolutionary advantage gained by doing it.

So, that explains why they all seem to get hissy at about the same time ...

:mellow:

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1695588' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:16 AM']You know, I heard something somewhere that said that women who work/live closely together for a long time will begin to cycle together as part of some evolutionary advantage gained by doing it.

So, that explains why they all seem to get hissy at about the same time ...

:mellow:[/quote]
:mellow:

[quote name='rachael' post='1695589' date='Nov 6 2008, 07:19 AM']:mellow:[/quote]

You know, I was kinda banking on getting a comment from you. Yay for baiting rachael! :P :lol: