An Old School Catholic Message Board

Black Pope Could Follow Barack Obama's Election, Says Us Archbisho

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1695757' date='Nov 6 2008, 06:20 PM']Comparing the two makes it sound like one of those "Well, now maybe that uptight Catholic Church will loosen up and get with the rest of the world" type-of arguments. :wacko:[/quote]
yeah- I've been hearing these arguments put to me lately. I don't get how the president is 'paving the way' for a Black Pope. What nonsense.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1695757' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:20 AM']I'm cool with that. I just find it irksome that us having a black Pope is compared to having a black president (who is actually only half-black, which for all he's worth makes him only half as cool as your wife at best). I don't really think it's the same thing. Comparing the two makes it sound like one of those "Well, now maybe that uptight Catholic Church will loosen up and get with the rest of the world" type-of arguments. :wacko:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
exactly. like the Church is gonna say "Gee, America finally elected a black president, now [b]we[/b] can elect a black pope. Thank you America!" how asinine can you get? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1695736' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:51 AM']I have nothing against having a black Pope, and quite frankly I think it would be pretty cool to see it happen in my lifetime; however, I get sick and tired of hearing about 'race'. Why is it that if I were to complain "Man, there aren't enough white NBA players", I would be labeled a racist, while people of other color talk about their own race in such a matter, it's perfectly okay?

I hate the double standard, I really, really do.[/quote]
Yeah... and I'm sick of how only white people can be racist...

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1695739' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:52 AM']And thats more important then the Lord picking who's best? And I thought the 29 Rites and the myriad races and cultures in the Catholic Church already shoul universality =/[/quote]
Amen.

Saint Therese

There have been black popes before.

I would love to hav a black pope. I was hoping for that in the last election.
But really, does it matter? I don't think so.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1695942' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:50 PM']Yeah... and I'm sick of how only white people can be racist...[/quote]

That's the rule. It's okay for 98% of the black vote to go Obama but when rural areas go McCain they are seen as voting for McCain not for his values and positions but for his race.

As for a black pope...I think its hilarious some people are talking as if the Catholic Church has never had a black pope. Typical stereotyping of the Church. <_<

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1695703' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:16 PM']Cardinal Arinze ROX!!![/quote]

[mod]Catholic vs Catholic Debate
A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful. *Effective immediately, any negative criticism of religious or the current Magisterium will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass and/or our Holy Father.

IP[/mod]

Eh? Where on earth did you get that from?

Even if you disagree with him, you should still have respect for his office.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1695758' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:20 PM']However, I hardly think that because America elected a black president the Cardinals from all over the world (coming from all different countries and races) are going to elect a black pope for that reason or even be more encouraged to. God will choose our next pope, and God does not care if the pope is black, white, tan, or purple. While a black man being elected president of the United States is nifty, it shouldn't influence who is the Pope nor do I think it will.[/quote]
Agree entirely.

dominicansoul

[quote name='daytondog' post='1696022' date='Nov 6 2008, 04:53 PM'][mod] Disrespect of the Magisterium -Aloysius[/mod][/quote]

:bigshock:

IcePrincessKRS

When people say things that break phorum guide lines please don't quote them. Just report it. Quoting just means we have more to edit. ;)

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1695955' date='Nov 7 2008, 06:02 AM']As for a black pope...I think its hilarious some people are talking as if the Catholic Church has never had a black pope. Typical stereotyping of the Church. <_<[/quote]
Yeah, all those people who claim JP2 was the first "non-Italian" Pope always blew my mind too.

I think the next Pope is Cardinal Arinze, providence seems to be leading things this way. The only problem I foresee is that he soon turns 80 in 2012.

Why is that a problem?

Irk, why can't we just be happy with the Pope we have instead of trying to see into the future?

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1696049' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:21 PM']Why is that a problem?

Irk, why can't we just be happy with the Pope we have instead of trying to see into the future?[/quote]

According to the current rules one cannot be elected if they are over 80.

oh come on. Nothing wrong with a little speculation. I didnt mean it negatively toward B16