An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do I Answer My Protestant Friends?

VeraMaria

Some Protestant friends, upon hearing that I was Catholic, started the "roll-our-eyes-and-tell-her-how-obviously-wrong-she-is" thing <_< . Well, having been in that kind of situation before, I defended my faith the best I could. Then one of them said "It's obviously wrong to go to MARY for help. Don't you see?? If you're sick you don't say "Hey, I'll go see the doctor's mother!" :angry: .

I may not be the brightest person in the world :blink: , and thousands of answers flooded my mind, but the answers just seemed to be running mumbo-jumbo all over each other, contradicting themselves.

Now, was that because of an over-loaded brain failure or because that's really a toughie?? :ph34r:

mustbenothing

I would probably stare at them blankly and ask why they feel it necessary to insult you for the simple fact that you are a Roman Catholic. It's not really worth arguing with these kinds of jerks.

I would probably stare at them blankly and ask why they feel it necessary to insult you for the simple fact that you are a Roman Catholic.  It's not really worth arguing with these kinds of jerks.

:( I agree, but if I just left them alone and walked away, that would just confirm what most of them think, which is that Catholics only believe what they are told, that they don't know WHY they believe in it. So I just wanted to prove them wrong....sigh.....we can see how that went.....

Here are four great resources that can get you started and help you...

http://www.Catholic.com (note the links on the left) Tons of Mary stuff.

http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com Over 2000 bible verses explaining Catholic teachings with Scripture... the only thing anyone can say to this is that they have a different interpretation... Tons of Mary stuff.

http://www.USCCB.org US Conference of Catholic Bishops... Catechism, writings, docs, Bible, etc...

http://www.NewAdvent.org Catholic Encyclopedia, Early Church Fathers, Summa Theologica, etc....

If ever you are asked a question you don't know, let them know you'll get back to them, and look it up at one of those sites... You'll learn so much about your faith, and you might be able to correct someone's misunderstanding of the Church.

God Bless,

ironmonk

Chrysologus

The best strategy for dealing with anti-Catholics is to admit when you're wrong, tell them when you don't know something, stay calm, and be patient. If you don't know something, look it up later and then get back to them. The answers are out there, but sometimes they take time to find and explain. Try not to get too angry at them; a lot of them have good intentions.

" A doctor can't refuse to heal His mother's Son/daughter if she asks."

Thanks!! I love it! :D

And ironmonk, Thanks a lot for the links! I'll check them out! (Patience....grrrr.....have to work on that! :blink: )

God Conquers

No problem! There's always a good snappy answer, too bad I can never think of'em when I need'em! haha

Jake Huether

Like they said, patience is the best.

I think you should educate yourself on what we beleive. But don't burden yourself on coming up with "one liners" to prove them wrong. That's falling for their trap. Their theology is learning about Jesus to prove they're right. Our Catholic Theology should be to learn about Jesus to be His friend. Once your Jesus' friend you will be able to defend His family and Him without having to look for Bibe verses, etc.

Hope that helped.

Jake Huether

Sorry mulls,

Not ALL protestants. Some do... And if I may dare - many do... And if I was even more daring to base my statements on personal experience (which isn't always good), I'd say that most do (unintentionally perhaps).

Actually to "fine-tune" my statement, ALL Protestant sects have been started because of "protests" agains the Church. Therefore, really, their theology MUST indeed be based on the need to "prove" the Church wrong. If their theology (for them) is "based" on proving their personal interpritation right (whether or not they think that they're working toward "truth"), then it is likewise based on proving the Church wrong.

On the other hand MOST children of protestants do have a fervant and sincere disire to search the truth and do what's right.

But if they come up to Catholics with lines like "Are you saved", or "do you worship Mary", then I'm led to beleive that they are simply in the business of trying to prove you wrong.

Cure of Ars

Well as Christians we are the body of Christ. “The eye cannot say to the hand, "I do not need you," nor again the head to the feet, "I do not need you."” (1 Cor 12:21) So we need each other. This includes prayers from each other both living and dead because death does not separate someone from the body of Christ (Rom 8:35-37). The saints are watching us battle. Hebrews says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith.” (Heb 12:1) Also you should consider, “The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.” (James 5:16) And when you consider that the saints are in the presence of God where nothing unclean can enter then I would say they are rather righteous.

Revelation 6:9-10 even shows martyred saints in heaven praying for things to happen on earth.

You may say “yes but I do not see an example of someone in the Bible asking someone who has died to pray for them”. My answer to this is that I do not see an example of someone explicitly praying to the Holy Sprit in the Bible. This does not make it wrong to do so. In fact it is a good thing to do. And what is stoping them. They know what is going on on earth (Heb 12:1) and they can pray in heaven (Rev 6:9-10) and we need each other ( 1 Cor 12:21) so let me ask you what is stopping saints from praying for us? God bless

See this.

Well as Christians we are the body of Christ. “The eye cannot say to the hand, "I do not need you," nor again the head to the feet, "I do not need you."” (1 Cor 12:21) So we need each other. This includes prayers from each other both living and dead because death does not separate someone from the body of Christ (Rom 8:35-37). The saints are watching us battle. Hebrews says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith.” (Heb 12:1) Also you should consider, “The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.” (James 5:16) And when you consider that the saints are in the presence of God where nothing unclean can enter then I would say they are rather righteous.

Revelation 6:9-10 even shows martyred saints in heaven praying for things to happen on earth.

You may say “yes but I do not see an example of someone in the Bible asking someone who has died to pray for them”. My answer to this is that I do not see an example of someone explicitly praying to the Holy Sprit in the Bible. This does not make it wrong to do so. In fact it is a good thing to do. And what is stoping them. They know what is going on on earth (Heb 12:1) and they can pray in heaven (Rev 6:9-10) and we need each other ( 1 Cor 12:21) so let me ask you what is stopping saints from praying for us? God bless

See this.

Thanks Cure de Ars! That's great!

Brother Adam

T'was told that it's best to be silent and be thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

This is the advice I take when I don't know an answer well enough to defend it (and half the time I don't take my own advice unfortunately).

You believe that the Catholic Church is always right on faith and morals. No fear then.

My only other 2 cents is listen to Jake and Ironmonk (even if he is a pain sometimes). They're smart cookies. So are a lot of others here.