An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should We Even Attempt To Save Society?

peregrinus_WA

peregrinus_WA

From my [url="http://peregrinus.stblogs.com/"]blog[/url]:

[quote][b][url="http://peregrinus.stblogs.com/2008/11/07/should-we-even-attempt-to-save-society/"]Should We Even Attempt to Save Society?[/url][/b]

I know, I know. It is a loaded question, but one that needs to be asked.With all the ills infecting society today, I am wondering if it is worth saving or even has the possibility of being saved.

As I have said before, I do believe that society is one the verge of implosion from the weight of Relativism, Materialism, and Liberalism, but I do see other factors also weighing on society that would probably not go away without a complete collapse.

One of the main factors is globalization. This globalization can be divided into two areas: Capitalism and Governance. Global Capitalism has all but destroyed self-sufficiency of the human race. Almost everything is provided by the “Global Market” and most do not know how, and/or do not want to, fend for themselves. They rather go to the store to buy what they need and work for big corporations to allow them the ability (i.e wages) to obtain what they need. The second is Governance. It is coming to the point where we are not allowed to have free-will to make our own decisions. Much of that is being taken away by governments and increasingly by regional/continental (i.e. the EUC), and even world (i.e the UN) governmental bodies.

I do believe the effects of globalization, as I said before, magnifies problem by making local issues reverberate throughout the world (And, with the latest economic situation, this is becoming increasingly apparent) . I also believe that, unlike Relativism and Materialism, that Globalization probably not be reversed without society/civilization collapsing thus breaking the bonds that allows globalization to exist. Note: I did not include Liberalism with Relativism and Materialism here due to the close relationship it has with Global Governance.

Liberalism also is a cause of a second factor which is also contributing to the implosion and that is the population decline that is being foisted on the world by “population control”. In many places, the birth rate has fallen so far below the replacement point that whole populations are in danger of being damaged beyond repair. The average age is rising to the point where it will become impossible to even recover from this decline. One example is Russia. There is some projections that they may lose as much as 1/3 of their current population by the year 2050. In fact, I have read reports that the average age of females in Russia is in their 40’s. If we cannot reverse “population control” whole populations (countries) may disappear from the face of the earth.

We need to be ready for anything and that means to rediscover self-reliance and more reliance at the local (community) level rather than the global level. Even if society does not implode, breaking all bonds that are weighing down society will make us better in the long run.

Should We Even Attempt to Save Society? Maybe, but I am going to leave that question unanswered. Right now, I do not really know.[/quote]This is only the latest in my rants on society.

Edited by peregrinus_WA

We aren't in the business of saving society. We are in the business of saving souls. This is why the Vatican has become increasingly opposed to Liberation Theology.

peregrinus_WA

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1698054' date='Nov 8 2008, 11:49 PM']We aren't in the business of saving society. We are in the business of saving souls. This is why the Vatican has become increasingly opposed to Liberation Theology.[/quote]This has nothing to do with Liberation Theology which I know full well has been condemned by the Holy See. :annoyed:

What I am saying is a general question since society is on the verge (if not already) implosion from the perversions that are so rampant. Should we attempt to redeem society or should we let it implode (like the Roman Empire) and rebuild under a true Catholic framework.

[The laity] exercise the apostolate in fact by their activity directed to the evangelization and sanctification of men and to the penetrating and perfecting of the temporal order through the spirit of the Gospel. In this way, their temporal activity openly bears witness to Christ and promotes the salvation of men. Since the laity, in accordance with their state of life, live in the midst of the world and its concerns, they are called by God to exercise their apostolate in the world like leaven, with the ardor of the spirit of Christ.

[quote name='peregrinus_WA' post='1698057' date='Nov 8 2008, 09:56 PM']This has nothing to do with Liberation Theology which I know full well has been condemned by the Holy See. :annoyed:

What I am saying is a general question since society is on the verge (if not already) implosion from the perversions that are so rampant. Should we attempt to redeem society or should we let it implode (like the Roman Empire) and rebuild under a true Catholic framework.[/quote]

Sorry, I was using Liberation Theology as an example, not in regard to your post. Frankly, I'm not sure there is much that we can actually do to save society. I would not be surprised to see even worse diseases than AIDS from running rampant. I think we have the real risk of genetically engineering some kind of horrible virus. All we can do is keep speaking the truth, and hope that when things get bad enough, people will start to listen.

On the spin off of Angel Force, Knights of St. Michael, Chris on the show keeps saying this one quote.

"Evil triumphs when good people do nothing" or something extremely similar to that. We shouldn't just be sitting around and whinning but actually get out there and proclaim the gospel in word and deed, no matter what our vocation is.

:bigpray:

Edited by tinytherese

peregrinus_WA

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1698064' date='Nov 9 2008, 12:15 AM']Sorry, I was using Liberation Theology as an example, not in regard to your post. Frankly, I'm not sure there is much that we can actually do to save society. I would not be surprised to see even worse diseases than AIDS from running rampant. I think we have the real risk of genetically engineering some kind of horrible virus. All we can do is keep speaking the truth, and hope that when things get bad enough, people will start to listen.[/quote]No problem. I regular get wacked over on CAF from both ends of the spectrum (I tend to "aggitate" the extreemists there).

My blog has quite a few rants on society (especially lately)

Edited by peregrinus_WA

I agree that we should continue to do everything we can, and stand witness. I'm just not optimistic. I serve on a provincial human trafficking committee, and some of the things I see really scare me. I get so shocked to see what humans can do to each other.

[quote]And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins, "God's Grandeur"[/quote]
Every generation goes through its own crises. Imagine if you lived through Nazism. It would have been hard to believe that the world would be standing very long. But here we are today, and Nazism is long dead.

There is always hope, so long as the Holy Spirit is hovering over the world. History moves slowly, but it does move.

TotusTuusMaria

No, we should not attempt to save society because[i] we [/i]won't be able to. We should with Christ attempt to save society, and of course we are going to triumph. We should go out, like Apo and tinytherese said, and let Christ use us. We must influence, as Christians, society. We are a people of hope.

Galloglasses' Alt

Stop being so bloody defeatist, everyone.

Its your society.

You have an obligation to fix it, even if it seems impossible to accomplish.

I'm seeing traditional Irish Society and values collapsing left right and centre, (and no where was this more noticeable then in a recent mock election our school had to see who would rather Obama or McCain), I'll be damned, (figuratively speaking... I hope), if I do not do something to stop the decline or, God Willing, reverse it.

Stop trying to worm your way out of the hopelessness of western civilisation by finding excuses to ignore it with spirituality, its your duty as a Catholic citizen of your respective nation to apply the Teachings of Christ to your everyday life and encourage others to do so. This world means nothing, or course it doesn't, what you do, how you react, and how hard you try to do the right thing even if tis above and beyond you does.

Edited by Galloglasses' Alt

[quote name='Era Might' post='1698096' date='Nov 8 2008, 11:40 PM']Every generation goes through its own crises. Imagine if you lived through Nazism. It would have been hard to believe that the world would be standing very long. But here we are today, and Nazism is long dead.

There is always hope, so long as the Holy Spirit is hovering over the world. History moves slowly, but it does move.[/quote]
That's a sweet poem :)

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1698226' date='Nov 9 2008, 12:32 PM']Stop being so bloody defeatist, everyone.

Its your society.

You have an obligation to fix it, even if it seems impossible to accomplish.

I'm seeing traditional Irish Society and values collapsing left right and centre, (and no where was this more noticeable then in a recent mock election our school had to see who would rather Obama or McCain), I'll be damned, (figuratively speaking... I hope), if I do not do something to stop the decline or, God Willing, reverse it.

Stop trying to worm your way out of the hopelessness of western civilisation by finding excuses to ignore it with spirituality, its your duty as a Catholic citizen of your respective nation to apply the Teachings of Christ to your everyday life and encourage others to do so. This world means nothing, or course it doesn't, what you do, how you react, and how hard you try to do the right thing even if tis above and beyond you does.[/quote]
Smackdown. You put it well.
So did Apo...

So did a lot of others :mellow:

Should we let society collapse? Lets try to think what impact that will have on our OWN lives as well as others... :detective: