An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Vocation Bible Quotes

johnnydigit

there is a general quote thread here [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=83299"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=83299[/url] but i was looking for vocation-specific quotes. here are some..

"Be consecrated to me, because I, the Lord, am holy, and I will set you apart from all these peoples so that you may be mine." -Leviticus 20:26

"Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." -Matthew 19:21

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." -Mathew 11:28-30

"The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field." -Matthew 13:44

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it." -Matthew 13:45

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.." -Proverbs 3:5

"At that time Samuel was not familiar with the LORD, because the LORD had not revealed anything to him as yet. The LORD called Samuel again, for the third time. Getting up and going to Eli, he said, "Here I am. You called me." Then Eli understood that the LORD was calling the youth. So he said to Samuel, "Go to sleep, and if you are called, reply, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'" -1 Samuel 3:7-9

==========

non-Biblical

"If you get to be thirty-five and your job still involves wearing a name tag, you've probably made a serious vocational error." -Dennis Miller (comedian)

Carmeliteheart726

My two favorite quotes are two you listed:

"Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." -Matthew 19:21

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." -Mathew 11:28-30

The one about Christ's yoke is especially inspiring for me because it came to my mind when I was having a very difficult time trying to make sense of my calling. I was panicking, and I went to Adoration to sort things out. I told Jesus that I didn't know what to do and I didn't think I would make a good nun. My soul was uneasy. Then, as I was sitting there in front of the Lord, that passage popped into my head. Needless to say, I have not worried about my vocation since! I know that Christ must work through me for me to be a good nun. That's really where the Proverbs verse comes in to play. If I relied on myself, I would NEVER be able to do this! :saint:

John 1:37-39 (I once thought I had a vocation, but still this is an all time fav)

{1:37} And two disciples were listening to him speaking. And they followed Jesus.
{1:38} Then Jesus, turning around and seeing them following him, said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi (which means in translation, Teacher), where do you live?”
{1:39} He said to them, “Come and see.” They went and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. Now it was about the tenth hour.

The Magnificat

My soul doth magnify the Lord.
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name.
And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him.
He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble.
He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of his mercy:
As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed for ever.

Mary, for me, has been a great guide and inspiration for my vocation. The simplicity of her yes, and the giving of her entire self to God. Her total obedience and submision to God's Holy Will. Her humility and chastity. She is a model for every state of life. Married, religious, priesthood and singlehood all in one.

A Yearning Heart

Most of the vocational quotes are looking to being called and following; something to be done in the now or future tense.

I'm still working out my vocation, so I have a long way to go, but whenever I worry about the where/when/how of my vocation, I often have this quote come to mind and it is more of an in hindsight/past tense quote that helps me to see the Lord's presence in all the events of my life and I'm then at peace about the future, though I don't know all the details yet!

"His hand ever laid upon me" Psalm 139:5.

I'm thinking this one is from Hosea--I will allure her into the desert and speak to her heart, or something to that effect.

The Visitation nuns used a psalm for their discernment retreat--for the woman to forget her father's house and respond to the king for he desired her beauty.

Blessings,
Gemma

good quotes!

[quote name='Gemma' post='1700660' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:28 PM']I'm thinking this one is from Hosea--I will allure her into the desert and speak to her heart, or something to that effect.

The Visitation nuns used a psalm for their discernment retreat--for the woman to forget her father's house and respond to the king for he desired her beauty.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

"So I will allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak to her heart." -Hosea 2:13

not as directly related to religious life, but from today's readings ([url="http://www.universalis.com"]http://www.universalis.com[/url]):

[i]Noon reading (Sext) Romans 15:5-7 ©
May God, who helps us when we refuse to give up, help you all to be tolerant with each other, following the example of Christ Jesus, so that united in mind and voice you may give glory to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It can only be to God’s glory, then, for you to treat each other in the same friendly way as Christ treated you.[/i]

-in community, all are united, led by God and through each other to achieve these goals.

[i]Afternoon reading (None) Philippians 4:8,9 ©
My brothers, fill your minds with everything that is true, everything that is noble, everything that is good and pure, everything that we love and honour, and everything that can be thought virtuous or worthy of praise. Then the God of peace will be with you.[/i]

-ditto the above. the ideal place to fill your mind with heavenly things on a constant basis would be in community as well. then constant peace will be with you.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Bros and Sis i urge you through the mercy of God to offer your bodies up as a spiritual sacrifice, this is your worship. Do not conform yourself to this age, but be transformed by the renewal of the mind, that you may understand clearly what is the pleasing to God.

Romans 12 1-2 something like that, no though not exactly.

last one from the Liturgy of the Hours. i guess you can find something from there or Scripture almost everyday, depending on how God is speaking to you at the time..

[i]Noon reading (Sext) Galatians 6:7-8 ©
What a man sows, he reaps. If he sows in the field of self-indulgence he will get a harvest of corruption out of it; if he sows in the field of the Spirit he will get from it a harvest of eternal life.[/i]

-the more worldly field is well, being in the world, while the holier field would be the world of religious life, imo.

Thomist-in-Training

Oh, Gemma got mine! Well, I'll paste it in here anyways. This is used for nuns and also of the Blessed Virgin. The first part is about Christ the King.
Ps. 44, 45 in the NAB.

My heart hath uttered a good word, I speak my works to the king; My tongue is the pen of a scrivener that writeth swiftly.

Thou art beautiful above the sons of men: grace is poured abroad in thy lips; therefore hath God blessed thee for ever.

Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O thou most mighty.

With thy comeliness and thy beauty set out, proceed prosperously, and reign. Because of truth and meekness and justice: and thy right hand shall conduct thee wonderfully.

Thy arrows are sharp: under thee shall people fall, into the hearts of the king's enemies.

Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a sceptre of uprightness.

Thou hast loved justice, and hated iniquity: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Myrrh and stacte and cassia perfume thy garments, from the ivory houses: out of which

The daughters of kings have delighted thee in thy glory. The queen stood on thy right hand, in gilded clothing; surrounded with variety.

Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thy ear: and forget thy people and thy father's house.

And the king shall greatly desire thy beauty; for he is the Lord thy God, and him they shall adore.

And the daughters of Tyre with gifts, yea, all the rich among the people, shall entreat thy countenance.

All the glory of the king's daughter is within in golden borders,

Clothed round about with varieties. After her shall virgins be brought to the king: her neighbours shall be brought to thee.

They shall be brought with gladness and rejoicing: they shall be brought into the temple of the king.

Instead of thy fathers, sons are born to thee: thou shalt make them princes over all the earth.

They shall remember thy name throughout all generations. Therefore shall people praise thee for ever; yea, for ever and ever.

Also the Office of St. Agnes is very beautiful, part of which is used in the reception to the habit or the profession in certain communities--I forget which. Some of it: 'Amo Christum, in cuius thalamum introivi; cuius mater virgo est, cuius pater feminam nescit, cuius mihi organa modulatis vocibus cantant; quem cum amavero casta sum, cum tetigero munda sum, cum accepero virgo sum.' But you should read it in Latin otherwise it sounds funny.

[quote name='kafka' post='1699226' date='Nov 10 2008, 10:17 PM']John 1:37-39 (I once thought I had a vocation, but still this is an all time fav)

{1:37} And two disciples were listening to him speaking. And they followed Jesus.
{1:38} Then Jesus, turning around and seeing them following him, said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi (which means in translation, Teacher), where do you live?”
{1:39} He said to them, “Come and see.” They went and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. Now it was about the tenth hour.[/quote]
I think one of those disciples might be me. Its not that I want it, it might be God wanting it, or something of the sort. It is weird, it is strange, I cant hide from Him anymore.