An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing The Veil

DiscerningSoul

DiscerningSoul

Ever since our last tapic of the veil, I have been very good and wearing it at every Mass and adoration.

My question: When do you put yours on and take it off?

I have been going to the pew and putting it on before Mass/ adoration and then after I am done praying, I fold it up and put it in a bag in my prayer bag then leave.

I am blonde after all. :rolleyes::)

puellapaschalis

I have mine on when I enter the church/chapel. In fact I tend to just put it on when I get dressed and leave it on - less chance I'll lose it.

TotusTuusMaria

I put it on before going in the church. I take it off after I have walked out of the church building. When I am at big conferences or something and we're in this huge area that is obviously not a church, I put it on before I believe our Lord to be coming out in the tabernacle. I take it off as soon as He is gone.

DiscerningSoul

The reason why I asked is because a nice guy at the Basilica I go to mentioned it to me after he saw me taking off my veil before leaving.

I have also started to wear long skirts and long sleeves to Mass, modesty.

I want to start wearing more jumpers, and dresses instead of jeans(oh jeans I do live in them! LOL)
:saint:

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1703462' date='Nov 17 2008, 06:12 PM']Ever since our last tapic of the veil, I have been very good and wearing it at every Mass and adoration.

I have been going to the pew and putting it on before Mass/ adoration and then after I am done praying, I fold it up and put it in a bag in my prayer bag then leave.

I am blonde after all. :rolleyes::)[/quote]

I do the same thing.

Then hubby leans over and whispers in my ear, "Did you know you have a doily on your head?"

Blessings,
Gemma

Edited by Gemma

LilyofSaintMaria

I put mine on at home and then take it off in the Suburban. In my opinion you should wear the veil whenever you are in Church, in close proximity to the Real Presence. Although, to be seen is not the reason to wear the veil, but I can't help but think that when you take your veil off as soon as you leave the Church you send a message like, "Phew, glad to get that off!" I don't know, could be just me.

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1703462' date='Nov 17 2008, 05:12 PM']Ever since our last tapic of the veil, I have been very good and wearing it at every Mass and adoration.

I am blonde after all. :rolleyes::)[/quote]

I put mine on at home when I'm getting ready for church and then take it off when I get back home and change out of my church clothes.

Thomist-in-Training

I do what I saw the first two girls that I observed wearing it do, pull it out while walking towards the church and put it on right outside, take it off while leaving. I don't think it's rude to take it off right away. But I have read one woman say that she puts hers on early so she can make it stay on with bobby pins :) Some of the women at my church show up with theirs on, others put them on while going in... one or two wait till they have their children sitting down in the pew. Some people have them on while in line for confession (our confessional is not actually in the church building since the chapel is so small) but I keep mine in my purse or around my shoulders till I go into the church.

I do have a more complicated rule for myself when at school chapel, where the main part of the church is "non-churchy" since the tabernacle isn't there, so I don't feel obliged in the same way to wear a veil in that part unless I'm there for Mass. I put it on in going to the "Blessed Sacrament chapel" where the tabernacle is though.

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1703662' date='Nov 17 2008, 06:25 PM']I have also started to wear long skirts and long sleeves to Mass, modesty.[/quote]

makes my heart flutter :love: i wish there were more like you guys :D

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1708532' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:08 PM']makes my heart flutter :love: i wish there were more like you guys :D[/quote]

And here we were, thinking the guys would finally stop ogling us... :P

No, kidding, johnnydigit, it's really nice to hear from the male section that the effort is appreciated.

I usually put my veil on in the hall of the church, and take it off right after I leave the building... I do it that way to show that I have a reason for covering my head, and that reason is inside the church.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1711652' date='Nov 26 2008, 02:20 PM']And here we were, thinking the guys would finally stop ogling us... :P

No, kidding, johnnydigit, it's really nice to hear from the male section that the effort is appreciated.

I usually put my veil on in the hall of the church, and take it off right after I leave the building... I do it that way to show that I have a reason for covering my head, and that reason is inside the church.[/quote]

teehee. no there might be something else going on with me, i'm not sure. i love to see little girls with their veils on in those big home school families, especially when there's a whole line of kids arranged in order of height. it's so precious to see that they and their parents are dressing them up modestly for love of God. when i see nuns in habits, my eyes light up and i turn into a little child in adoration of them. i think it's because i love Our Lady so much and she is said to be the most beautifully radiant woman ever, and they remind me of perfect princesses and i want to marry them all, spiritually of course! the worst happens when they're singing like angels and the fire that builds feels like it's going to burst from my chest!

ya, i struggle to contain my eyes because they look 10x prettier than others who don't look as modest. like a deer staring into headlights.. or like a moth to a fire.. like looking directly into the sun but your eyes don't hurt, i can't help it.. i need prayers!

[quote name='Gemma' post='1703902' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:01 AM']I do the same thing.

Then hubby leans over and whispers in my ear, "Did you know you have a doily on your head?"

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]
................:lol_pound:................

Excuse my ignorance, but I am taking it that posters mean the lace chapel veils - which we very rarely see indeed here in Australia?

DominicanPhilosophy

Haha, johnnydigit you crack me up! I agree..it is [i]so[/i] nice to hear such words emanating from the mouth of a male lol!

And BarbaraTherese, yes; the lace chapel ones. Hmm..we must pray for your Great Southland of the Holy Spirit, for a resurgence of the True, orthodox Faith and that WYD fever spreads like wild fire and that "you [all] will be His witnesses"! :thumbsup:

Pax.

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1712057' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:47 PM']Haha, johnnydigit you crack me up! I agree..it is [i]so[/i] nice to hear such words emanating from the mouth of a male lol!

And BarbaraTherese, yes; the lace chapel ones. Hmm..we must pray for your Great Southland of the Holy Spirit, for a resurgence of the True, orthodox Faith and that WYD fever spreads like wild fire and that "you [all] will be His witnesses"! :thumbsup:

Pax.[/quote]

Amen...........and thank you very much! :thumbsup:
We do have women who wear hats at Mass, some even with scarves - not many though, rare. But even far more rarely indeed I have seen any lace chapel veils. Rarer still seems to be religious in traditional/modifed habits. Now and then perhaps, but rarely, perhaps a modified habit.

We need prayers for our priesthood too and vocations - especially to the priesthood. In my parish which was once two parishes with four priests and an assistant priest.........we now have one part time priest who lives quite a way from The Church and is also a Catholic university lecturer. We have a full time deacon who lives in another parish. I hear that quite possibly on good authority that weekly Sunday Mass is at risk to a once fortnightly or even monthly Mass ......... we lost daily Mass and Eucharistic Adoration well over a year ago or more.

Our shortage of course means that the priests we do have are stretched to their absolute maximum with many duties and obligations. Such stretching of human qualitites and a huge workload can lead to burnout and we have had a few. Our priests sure need our prayers and support here for sure.

Our yearly Marian Procession is very well attended - so I think the Faith is alive and well including by many young people I noted...........we are all just going through a very difficult and testing time in our journey that is going to involve in all probability major change and adjustment. What we really dont need but they do come along anway are the prophets of doom and those who are totally resistent to any sort of change even in the slightest......and even if it is absolutely necessary as it is going to be if the prevailing conditions continue. Such dearly beloved can make our priests life and our Archbishop's life too I am sure somewhat difficult and a headache.
I did go along to one parish meeting a while back and I really had a hidden giggle at poor Father and his truly magnificent efforts in diplomacy (with considerable success, I'd add, but at much cost) to try and keep both sides of the fence happy and not tearing at each other............nor at him.
Ahhhhhh holy community! :D

Barb :)

Edited by BarbaraTherese