An Old School Catholic Message Board

So Very Confused!

Carmeliteheart726

This nun says if you want to know what God wants you to do, just ask.

[url="http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2008/11/if-you-want-to-know-what-god-wants-you.html"]http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2008/11/if-y...-wants-you.html[/url]

Seems pretty sensible to me, and the end of the story is really moving.

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1711190' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:37 AM']This nun says if you want to know what God wants you to do, just ask.

[url="http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2008/11/if-you-want-to-know-what-god-wants-you.html"]http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2008/11/if-y...-wants-you.html[/url]

Seems pretty sensible to me, and the end of the story is really moving.[/quote]

Wow! That is weird... That sister is so much like me it's scary! When I was growing up I wanted to get married and have 6 kids. I got certification in Early Childhood Education, but during my first teaching job at a preschool, I found I hated teaching. I love being with babies, though. In my early 20s, I found out that I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and the doctor said that there was a good chance I would not be able to have kids. He specializes not only in gynecology and obstetrics, but IVF as well and said that I could possibly consider this when I got older. Since IVF is against Catholic beliefs, I opted to remain single the rest of my life, or get married and adopt. God obviously wanted me to consider religious life, something I have never thought about up until a year ago. The age that she discovered her vocation (25), is close to when I discovered mine (24). Talk about Deja Vu! LOL.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1711190' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:37 AM']This nun says if you want to know what God wants you to do, just ask.

Seems pretty sensible to me, and the end of the story is really moving.[/quote]

I love how that Sister said God didn't give her the illness, but the grace to see it as a sign.

If you can manage to live life that way - you're doing pretty well. :)

I'd also like to refer to you a book called "A Right to Be Merry." It's a good one for anyone considering religious life in general but especially if you are discerning to join the franciscan order.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1711956' date='Nov 27 2008, 02:43 PM']I'd also like to refer to you a book called "A Right to Be Merry." It's a good one for anyone considering religious life in general but especially if you are discerning to join the franciscan order.[/quote]

And there is another one by the same Poor Clare author "Spring Comes Barefoot" or at least I think they are the same. I read them over 20 years ago. I think it may have been in "Spring Comes Barefoot" that Sister describes the elderly nun who happened to noticed that the very new postulant had forgotten to wipe off her lipstick after donning her postulant habit for the first time and this dear nun commented something like "Oh dear what is happening to religious life - now our postulants wear lipstick".
Both books are absolutely delightful and surely to dispel in very wonderful ways romantic notions of the cloister and living in community - as I recall them.

Barb :))

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' post='1712620' date='Nov 28 2008, 08:12 AM']I think it may have been in "Spring Comes Barefoot" that Sister describes the elderly nun who happened to noticed that the very new postulant had forgotten to wipe off her lipstick after donning her postulant habit for the first time and this dear nun commented something like "Oh dear what is happening to religious life - now our postulants wear lipstick".[/quote]

Oh my. Does this mean I have to learn how to apply lipstick, or is this only for Poor Clares? :D

I second the recommendation. A Right to be Merry is a great book - should be on the required reading list for [i]everybody[/i], along with Mere Christianity.

she_who_is_not

In [i][/i]A Right to Be Merry[i][/i] Mother Mary Francis says something like,
"True humility is when you realize that there is no sin you could not commit." That has stayed with me ever since.

Edited by she_who_is_not

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1712652' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:45 PM']Oh my. Does this mean I have to learn how to apply lipstick, or is this only for Poor Clares? :D

I second the recommendation. A Right to be Merry is a great book - should be on the required reading list for [i]everybody[/i], along with Mere Christianity.[/quote]

.....only for Poor Clares I think. :D Probably taking the Holy Father's instructions to religious orders to modernize a little too far perhaps? :sweat:

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' timestamp='1227583792' post='1710190']
Wow, I am really confused right now! As most of you know, I have been discerning with the Carmelites for a few months now. I have visited one community (the Carmelites DCJ in St. Louis) and knew it was not a match. I was planning to visit the Brooklyn Carmelite nuns this coming year.

But, I went on a retreat this weekend. This was the second annual retreat that I've been on of this nature. The Franciscan Friars and Sisters of the Renewal were there again this year. I remembered how much I was attracted to their charism at the beginning of my discernment. The convictions I have felt in my soul match their life and charism very much; I think more so than the Carmelites So I am confused about my discernment.

I wonder if I might have ignored the Holy Spirit telling me that I was not called to the Carmelites. I received an email from a Carmel Superior (not naming which) asking what attracted me so much to Carmel. I wrote back trying to express what it was that made me attracted to them. She wrote back and said that she was sorry, but she shared with novice mistress what I wrote and both of them agreed that I did not have a genuine vocation to Carmel and perhaps I should look elsewhere. I had not met this nun, so I did not believe her to be correct. Now I'm wondering if it was something I should have thought about further?

It's happened before where I found out that an order I was greatly interested in did not accept me, but then I found out that they were a renegade order and not in full communion with Rome. Could it have been the Holy Spirit the second time?? Could I be wrong about my Carmelite vocation?? I would like input on this! I am so confused!

The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal are really what I feel I could live as. Their charism calls to me, and I think maybe I am a Franciscan?? There are some similarities between me and St. Francis, but I don't know if they are just superficial or a "God-incidence."

My middle name is Frances.
I love animals, and always have.
I am a musician, too, and the Franciscan Friars and Sisters of the Renewal are known for their great liturgical music.

I think maybe I am called to the CFRs. I was so inspired and captivated by Fr. Glenn Sudano's homilies during the retreat. I just really feel like I could live their life.
[/quote]

Are you referring to the Florida Catholic YA retreat? Just curious

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1285249276' post='2175452']
Are you referring to the Florida Catholic YA retreat? Just curious
[/quote]

Pssst. (Two year old thread. :) )

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1285249678' post='2175453']
Pssst. (Two year old thread. :) )
[/quote]

This is what happens when I lurk and dont pay attention.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1285250017' post='2175456']
This is what happens when I lurk and dont pay attention.
[/quote]

maybe God wants something out of the revival of old threads. Where is Carmeliteheart726? Never saw her post again.

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1285250099' post='2175457']
maybe God wants something out of the revival of old threads. Where is Carmeliteheart726? Never saw her post again.
[/quote]

She was posting under the s/n, InHisLove726, but stopped posting completely on November 1st, 2009. :idontknow: