An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans Of The Primitive Order

Guest manie

i couldnt reply to the question i found about the FPO's . my soon to be brother in law is in this order he is known as brother pio. i do have the address of their home in lawrence mass if anyone is interested. just email me and i will send it to you.
God bless,
manie

• 1 month later...
foolishmortal

[quote name='HolyHearts' post='1718609' date='Dec 4 2008, 06:09 AM']And for women, there are the Franciscan Sisters Minor (google that way) also
in Massachusetts.[/quote]
What is it? I think i have it, but just in case, for reliability, I'd like to know. thanks!

they're hardcore! if you can physically endure it, God made you that way for a reason. many of us physically or mentally just cannot handle it, but if you think you may be able to, then answer the call! give God a chance and go check em out!

Hi, [b]manie[/b], and welcome to these boards!

I'm glad to hear that your brother is with the FPO's, and I hope that all is well with him.

The reason you couldn't reply to the other post is that you can only post in this forum (Vocation Station) after you've made 10 posts on the boards in general. So, poke your head in some of the other places, say hi, and then come on back here after you've got your 10 posts!

I don't know why they do it that way; maybe they had problems with spammers in the past.

Welcome to Phatmass, [b]Rica[/b]! I know you've been here a lot longer than I have, but I see you haven't posted much.

Just a reminder of Phorum Guidelines, though:
[quote]Personal Attacks
A post or comment that has nothing to do with the topic, but is specifically meant to upset or criticize another person or group of people. This includes, but is not limited to, calling people "heretics" (used in a derogatory manner), "democrooks", etc.[/quote]

Perhaps you were referring to the charismatic renewal? The FPOs are in the tradition of the Capuchin Franciscans, seeking to renew the Franciscan order. In that sense, they may be seen as similar to the CFRs. They practice radical poverty. I do not know if they are specifically involved with the charismatic movement within the Catholic church, but I do know they are not remotely schismatic, being very faithful to the pope.

the lords sheep

[quote name='Rica' post='1751038' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:50 PM']I thought the FPO was regrettably associated with the charisatanic (sometimes called charischismatic or charismaniac) movement[/quote]

It is uncharitable (a) to spread a rumor which you do not know is true and (b) to refer to a movement within the Catholic Church (which, while having some problems, is inherently good) as satanic, schismatic or crazy.
If you would like to debate whether or not the charismatic movement is appropriate, take it to the debate boards. This doesn't belong on VS.

In Christ,
Lauren

If you would like to learn more about the FPO's, read [url="http://www.head-of-holofernes.com/fpos.htm"]this brochure[/url] on their way of life. The charismatic renewal is not mentioned (though again, I do not know if they have any connection with it or not.)

The discussion [url="http://seminarianzach.blogspot.com/2007/07/franciscans-of-primitive-observance.html"]here[/url] suggests that they are really not all that charismatic. *shrug*

A collection of news articles about them may be found [url="http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com/search/label/Franciscans%20of%20Primitive%20Observance"]HERE[/url]

Edited by MithLuin

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1751408' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:06 PM']If you would like to learn more about the FPO's, read [url="http://www.head-of-holofernes.com/fpos.htm"]this brochure[/url] on their way of life.[/quote]
Wow, neat page on them. Thanks! What an incredible way of life they live. I was wondering, are both the Franciscan Sisters Minor and the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth connected with them/start from the same inspiration/group?

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1751103' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:28 AM']It is uncharitable (a) to spread a rumor which you do not know is true and (b) to refer to a movement within the Catholic Church (which, while having some problems, is inherently good) as satanic, schismatic or crazy.
If you would like to debate whether or not the charismatic movement is appropriate, take it to the debate boards. This doesn't belong on VS.

In Christ,
Lauren[/quote]

very uncharitable indeed. Fr. Groeschel was speaking about the charismatic movement on EWTN one time, and as usual, he gave some wonderful insights. it was the best explanation i have ever heard that would benefit people with such a broad negative view on it. if only i could repeat or find even a fragment of it..

afaik, the FPO are the even more hardcore and traditional version of the CFR's.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1751751' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:21 AM']afaik, the FPO are the even more hardcore and traditional version of the CFR's.[/quote]

Yes. The CFRs were founded to renew the Franciscan way of life. They went about it in a pretty radical way, but within that group were people who thought the renewal should take a different form. The FPOs were founded with that in mind. I would describe them both as hardcore, but I met the FPOs first, and so was much more impressed by them ;).

Both the CFRs and the FPOs are following in the tradition of the Capuchins, who reformed the Franciscan order in the the 1500's. Religious life is in need of constant renewal. That is how you ended up with the Discalced Carmelites from the O. Carm's, and that is how you end up with OFM, OFM Conv. and OFM Cap. ;).

Each group is different and unique, but whether or not it is right for you is a more private question. I know two men who spent some time with the FPOs who eventually wound up as Capuchins. Both of them are very happy there, and doing a great job. And both have a love for radical poverty, just like St. Francis of Assisi.

Oh, and [b]manie[/b], as you said soon-to-be brother-in-law, should I be congratulating you on a wedding?

It looks like the FPO sisters spun into both the Capuchins of Nazareth and the FSM's. At least, there are familiar faces in both groups. We worked on the Youth 2000 Northeast events with the original FPO (then called Capuchin Recollects) brothers and sisters. They did evolve from the CFR's.