An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latin

Saint Therese

dominicansoul

i bombed Latin in the convent. I'm one of the dumbest Dominicans you will ever know. In fact, Mother once quipped that if I became a saint, in 100 years time, I would be known as the "patron Saint" of "dumb Dominicans..."

Saint Therese
:turban: I had two years in high school, but being the Dominican that I am, I'm going to start studying it again. I've always wanted to become a Latinist.
I am probably the goofiest Dominican you will ever know.. I excell at goofiness. Its a gift.

[quote]I bombed Latin in the convent. I'm one of the dumbest Dominicans you will ever know. In fact, Mother once quipped that if I became a saint, in 100 years time, I would be known as the "patron Saint" of "dumb Dominicans..."[/quote]

:topsy: :grouphug:

I have enough trouble with English. The only Latin I know is legal latin and forestry latin. If it isn't a corpus delicti under a Quercus alba, I wouldn't understand it.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1731673' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:39 PM']:turban: I had two years in high school, but being the Dominican that I am, I'm going to start studying it again. I've always wanted to become a Latinist.
I am probably the goofiest Dominican you will ever know.. I excell at goofiness. Its a gift.[/quote]
something tells me if you wind up being the "patron saint of goofy Dominicans" you will have a whole lot more to do in Heaven than me being the "patron saint of dumb ones..." I'll just sit in the corner in Heaven and twiddle my thumbs....

Saint Therese

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1731702' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:50 PM']something tells me if you wind up being the "patron saint of goofy Dominicans" you will have a whole lot more to do in Heaven than me being the "patron saint of dumb ones..." I'll just sit in the corner in Heaven and twiddle my thumbs....[/quote]

You're probably just not great at Latin but great at something else. You'd be the Patron Saint of Algebra or Singing or something.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1731708' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:53 PM']You're probably just not great at Latin but great at something else. You'd be the Patron Saint of Algebra or Singing or something.[/quote]
hmmmm...that's something to think about...what am i great at....hmmmm

...this is gonna take awhile.... :bigthink:

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1731639' date='Dec 18 2008, 10:09 PM']Anyone else studying it? (or going to?)[/quote]
I took classical Latin for 3 years. I wasn't a fan... it's cool if you're learning it for a reason, but when you're apparently learning it with the intent of reading Latin novels (who has time for that??), there's only 2 other people in your entire class, and none of your friends speak it- it kind of gets to be a drag. :idontknow: