An Old School Catholic Message Board

Riaa's New Set Of Rules

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
i find this troubling. instead of taking people to court (which is it's own set of problems), RIAA will notify your ISP and that ISP will discontinue (or threaten you) will discontinuation of service if the RIAA believes you are illegally file sharing.
[url="http://www.pcworld.com/article/155820/riaas_new_piracy_plan_poses_a_new_set_of_problems.html"]Article here[/url]
[quote]Effectively, RIAA has turned itself into the sheriff, and your ISP into its deputy. Based on the same data gathering and user identification methods that have come under fire from the start, RIAA will now be able to get your Internet access limited or discontinued on its own if it for some reason flags you as an illegal filesharer. And I'm not the only one left feeling a little wary about that.

"This means more music fans are going to be harassed by the music industry," says Fred von Lohmann, senior staff attorney of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

"The problem is the lack of due process for those accused," von Lohmann continues. "In a world where hundreds of thousands, or millions, of copyright infringement allegations are automatically generated and delivered to ISPs, mistakes are going to be made. ... Anyone who has ever had to fight to correct an error on their credit reports will be able to imagine the trouble we're in for."[/quote]
any thoughts?

I guess I'm glad I don't know how to file share. I get my CD's from the library, and if I want to share, I burn it to a CD. No one used to care when we shared LP's and copied them onto cassette tapes. I think 6 people copied my KISS Alive! album back in 1976. I have it in mp3 now.

is there anyone out there who actually likes the RIAA? most artists dont, and with all their lawsuits on single moms and children havent made them very popular.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1732294' date='Dec 19 2008, 07:29 PM']is there anyone out there who actually likes the RIAA? most artists dont, and with all their lawsuits on single moms and children havent made them very popular.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
or suing 86 year old dead women. :rolleyes:

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1733733' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:51 AM']Things are just going to get worse. Our VP Elect, Joe Biden, is in the back pocket of the RIAA, and a commited enemy of free speech.[/quote]

Preach on, Brother.... but that might be the least of our worries. :unsure:

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1737486' date='Dec 29 2008, 02:13 AM']Not gonna lie, when I first read the title of this thread I thought that it was "Rcia's New Set Of Rules."[/quote]

me too