We thought that most of you were sweet
Especially tiny tots and your
pregnant women

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long
So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

So long, so long and thanks
for all the fish

(yeah)

"It's an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was the most intelligent species occupying the planet, instead of the third most intelligent. The second most intelligent creatures were, of course, Dolphins, who, curiously enough, had long known of the impending destruction of Earth.

You see, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons. They'd made many attempts to alert mankind to the danger, but their communications were misinterpreted as amusing attempts to punch footballs or whistle for tidbits.

The last ever dolphin message, in fact, was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backwards somersault through a hoop while whistling The Star-Spangled Banner, but in fact the message was this: "So long, and thanks for all the fish.""

" 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.' "'But,' says Man, 'The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.' "'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic. "'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing. "Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best- selling book Well That About Wraps It Up For God."

Yup.

Now I'm beginning to understand all the cultural references which have gone over my head all these years.

(a sperm whale, called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet):

Ahhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Okay okay, calm down calm down get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? Its a sort of tingling in my... well I suppose I better start finding names for things. Lets call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, what's this roaring sound, whooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do.

Yeah, this is really exciting. I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now isn't it? And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!

[dies]

I think she did.

I have yet to [i]read[/i] the trilogy, but I'm still hooked. Anyone going to wear a towel for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day"]towel day[/url]?

Arthur Dent:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Lilllabettt/arthur-dent-figure-pack.jpg[/img]

I can see how you might be confused for ... other things ... if you dressed up as him for Halloween ...

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1733353' date='Dec 21 2008, 06:52 PM']Nice. I'd probably do that too. Not many people would get it though, I think.[/quote]
That's what's so cool.

But a few did. Because I had a huge purple towel, maybe.